Author Topic: Melchior Fordney  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
Melchior Fordney
« on: October 28, 2008, 05:20:28 AM »
I am building building 2 Melchoir Fordney rifles and have very few pictures in my books of how he engraved and carved his guns. I have enough pictures of the stock work but have few pictures of his original work on butt plates, tang carving, toe plates and forestock carving. Does anybody out there have any pictures of his original work showing these details?? I would appreciate it if they could either post them or send to my email address (nhs@abnet.ca). Thanks Niall Sadler

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Melchior Fordney
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:48:41 AM »
Niall, it's good to see you here.  There is much to be gained here, and you have much to offer. For the info of fellow members, Niall has made some very nice longrifles, and also hails from "The Great White North".
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »
Welcome Niall

Apart from the Kindig, Long Rifles of Note, etc, I have seen few photos with the details you asked for.

In Lindsay’s “The Kentucky Rifle”, page 8,  there is a picture of the engraving on the butt plate return.

An article in Muzzle Blasts, Dec 1966 shows a few details of the carving around the lock panel and the lower forearm.

Two rifles are pictured in “Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850” but lack details.

Perhaps the best details I have seen are in Whisker’s  “Behold the Longrifle” (details of toe plate and trigger guard engraving), and “Behold the Longrifle Again” (very fancy toe plate, forearm incised lines and tang).

The KRA’s “Kentucky Rifle Photographs Volume I, Issue I” has the same Fordney rifle as in Lindsay’s book. The nice part here is that you can magnify the pix w/o losing detail so you could pick up some of the details you want.

All the best
Paul

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:36:26 PM »
Welcome Niall

Apart from the Kindig, Long Rifles of Note, etc, I have seen few photos with the details you asked for.

In Lindsay’s “The Kentucky Rifle”, page 8,  there is a picture of the engraving on the butt plate return.

An article in Muzzle Blasts, Dec 1966 shows a few details of the carving around the lock panel and the lower forearm.

Two rifles are pictured in “Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850” but lack details.

Perhaps the best details I have seen are in Whisker’s  “Behold the Longrifle” (details of toe plate and trigger guard engraving), and “Behold the Longrifle Again” (very fancy toe plate, forearm incised lines and tang).

The KRA’s “Kentucky Rifle Photographs Volume I, Issue I” has the same Fordney rifle as in Lindsay’s book. The nice part here is that you can magnify the pix w/o losing detail so you could pick up some of the details you want.

All the best
Paul

Thanks Paul I will look up those pictures to ensure that I have seen them. I have most of references. Cheers NIall
Welcome Niall

All the best
Paul

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:11:07 PM »
Niall,
Please check your email.
Larry Luck

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 05:32:12 PM »
Yet ANOTHER Canadian? Oh, my. Because of the recent increase in Canadian memberships, I propose we re-name this site "Canadian Longrifles", CLR, for short.

All kidding aside, Niall, welcome aboard.

I don't know what your resources are, but consdier joining the Kentucky Longrifle Association(KRA), for at the yearly meetings, you may actually study original Fordneys.

Acer

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »
Thanks for the information Acer. Yeah, I am another Canuck.  I have been thinking about joining the an organization like the CLA or the KRA but I live rather far away to be able to casually go to either of there annual Meetings. I sent Larry Luck couple pictures of my work.  I would gladly send them to you if you are interested but I don't know your e-mail address. Cheers Niall 

jimrbto

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »
There are some good photos of his work in "Thoughts On The Kentucky Rifle In Its Golden Age".  Good examples of all his stock work and engraving, complete rifles.
Jim

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
Thanks Jim, I have the book and am using it. Cheers Niall