Author Topic: TC 1:66 Hawkin barrel  (Read 3788 times)

babills

TC 1:66 Hawkin barrel
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:51:34 AM »
I just purchased a used TC hawkin with a 50 cal. 32 inch 1:66 roundball barrel. I have not shot one of these barrels, what are everyone elses experiances with this barrel? loads accuracy etc etc. Thanks Denny

BrownBear

Re: TC 1:66 Hawkin barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:56:24 AM »
One of my hunting pards has them on a couple of his guns.  Let's put it this way-----  He's got us all waiting to buy our own.  They're superbly accurate and don't seem to be even a little fussy about loads.  Rather than a single "accuracy" load, he gets comparable accuracy over a fairly wide range.  The one I know best will shoot the same size group with 50-80 grains of 3f Goex or 60-90 grains of 2f Goex.  For whatever reason it's the most "forgiving" barrel I've ever seen while being exceptionally accurate.  It makes me wonder if TC didn't put some little extra effort into their manufacture.  IIRC the grooves are deeper than the 1:48, and that may be one of the keys.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:00:43 AM »
Denny - you are fortunate to find a deep grooved TC.
First off, I'd crown it as described many times right here on ALR - if that isn't already done.
 I'd start with a .490" RB of pure lead, .018" to .022" denim patching, spit, neetsfoot or mink oil for lube. Water based only for target shooting - not hunting.
I'd start at about 75.0gr. 3F and 2f and go up to 100gr. of each to find it's sweet spot.
I'd shoot off a bench, using a single bag supporting my left hand which holds the rifle as if shooting offhand.(right hand shooter) Hold the rifle in tightly to your shoulder which will be an easy 'hold' to duplicate each shot, just as if you were shooting offhand. Thus, the ball impact/grouping will give the same point of impact - most likely.
Do not let the gun bounce off the front bag as in modern BR shooting. This will give false elevation to the shots as well as magnifying any changes or variation in your hold, stock to shoulder fit, etc. Holding the rifle deliberately will give tighter, more consistant results.

I hold most rifles at the entry pipe or slightly back from there with my left hand gripping the forewood and barrel.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:52:18 AM »
babills,
Years ago TC built a Hawken rifle around the barrel that you are talking about. I bought one new and still have it.  They are an exceptionally accurate rifle and as said very forgiving with the loads. I haven't shot it in a while but if I'm remembering correctly the load that worked very well was .495 ball, .015 pre lubed patch and 75 grains of 2F. These can be one holers at 25 yards and real close at 50.
Mark
Mark

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »
  does TC make these barrels available?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:09:03 AM »
Its not a TC but the Green Mtn. drop in barrel for the TC Hawken that I use for a loaner shoots real well too if you cant find the real TC. 

babills

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 05:01:31 AM »
Thanks every one going to a shoot this weekend so ill give her a whirl. my sons friend will shoot it this weekend. i basicly bought it for a loaner gun for him. and maybe my new paper puncher. i will stick with my TVM lancaster flinter for woodswalks.