Author Topic: Longrifle men/women of Savannah, GA?  (Read 4413 times)

Zech

Longrifle men/women of Savannah, GA?
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:43:31 AM »
Is there anyone out there near the savannah area that can help me?

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: Longrifle men/women of Savannah, GA?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:50:09 AM »
I'm upstate in Marietta.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:47:04 AM »
Hi Zech,

Welcome to ALR.  What is it that you're needing help with?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 05:51:21 AM »
Zech,  You've presented an open-ended question and your previous posts show enthusiasm.  You need/want help with what, exactly?  

Other than general knowledge, what exactly (yeah, there's that word again... ) do you want to do or accomplish?  It appears that you may have the 're-enacting' bug, but without more information, we're all just guessing here.

Trust me, you can burn through a fair bit of hard-earned cash, in this hobby, one purchase after another, deciding what you really want, while trading-off your mistakes, one after the other.

Hint:  It all starts with an investment (worth every penny) in some good books, along the lines of your interests.

So, help us, so we can help you.   ???

Zech

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »
Well the reason behind the openendness is because I do need help with everything! I cw reenacted for several years and I hold a BA in history. My main concentration now and for good is the 18th century. I love shooting and I love black powder. I prefer flint over percussion any day, but all I have is an old powder horn and very little money and knowledge. I believe that I was born in the wrong century but just need guidance. I love doing living histories and dressing the part. The thing I don't enjoy is not being able to answer the general publics question. I know knowledge will come with time, I just need guided in the correct place.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:25:19 AM »
I love shooting and I love black powder. I prefer flint over percussion any day, but all I have is an old powder horn and very little money and knowledge. I believe that I was born in the wrong century but just need guidance. I love doing living histories and dressing the part. The thing I don't enjoy is not being able to answer the general publics question. I know knowledge will come with time, I just need guided in the correct place.
Lets see shooting, black powder, history, flintlocks and questions. Yep I think you found the right place.
Just make yourself at home and don't be afraid to ask those questions. This bunch is known to have answers for most anything and most of us are looking for someone to share the answers with. Welcome to ALR!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Southron

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 03:02:03 AM »
Go out to Wormsloe Plantation on the outskirts of Savannah. They have a great 18th Century "Living History" program. I am sure that they are always looking for volunteers.

Also, drive down I-95 to Darien, GA and in Darien go to Fort King George State Park. The state sent an architect of London and actually found the plans of the buildings at Fort King George (including the Blockhouse.) Many of these buildings have been re-constructed and when I lived on the Coast ten years ago, they had a fabulous "Living History" program at Fort King George.

Now, IF you are still into "War of Northern Aggression" history, go out to Old Fort Jackson which is located just a few miles below Savannah on the river. They have an active "Living History" program. Old Fort Jackson is run by the Coastal Heritage Society and not the state. When I volunteered for them, they had a very active Living History program.

Zech

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 01:22:01 AM »
I already do that at Wormsloe. ;D I was looking for advise and help building and just general help with flintlocks.  I have found it!