Author Topic: Any Matchlock Shooters Out There?  (Read 12840 times)

Offline Canute Rex

Any Matchlock Shooters Out There?
« on: May 27, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
My buddy Steve and I were out back of his place last weekend, hurling leaden death at some targets with our matchlocks.

He has both a fishtail-stocked smooth bore and a turn-of-the-18th century matchlock target rifle he made. I shoot a John Buck 66 cal smooth bore that I have tarted up a bit. Mine is a repro of the standard 1660s-era military musket. I call it "The Club."

We were racking our brains for anyone else we had seen or heard of who is actually shooting ball with a matchlock. There are English Civil War reenactors shooting blanks.

Matchlocks actually do reasonably well for accuracy. The barrels are no better or worse than any others. Once you get the hang of the slow trigger pull a matchlock is actually better than a flintlock for accuracy. No flinch. The match end disappears behind the flash guard and then at some point in the next half second it surprises you with a near instant ignition. Matchlocks survived as target rifles (in Europe) for this reason long after their tactical use was over. I managed second place at a local match (despite myself) with The Club at 30 yards.

So, anybody out there burning hemp?

blunderbuss

Re: Any Matchlock Shooters Out There?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »
I have two matchlocks one is a 44 cal smoothbore and she shoots very good at 50 yards she's right on in fact sometimes I shoot two balls one pretty much follows the other eather directly or slightly to one side.
On going to the range with it after I finished there were holes burned in my clothes the bench and the sand bags. Also if the match touches any other part of the match it will light it.( I learned that one the hard way) My recommendation is to wet every thing on you and the bench down thoroughly and keep a fire extinguisher close at hand  I was a nervous wreck when I got home
When I got it it had a snapping lock that lock had a nasty habit of snuffing the match into the priming and not going off. OK what now? Once while my son was shooting it that happened so I gingerly re cocked it and withdrew the match,told my son to keep it pointed down range I was half way back to the bench with match in hand when the thing went off. When I got back to the shop I took the snapping lock off and made a tiller trigger out of it,at least that way I can get the match out of the pan without getting my fingers burned which almost happened.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:27:26 PM by blunderbuss »

chapmans

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:44:24 AM »
I have a friend that shoots one on the International ML team, I have worked on several of them for him, including rebarreling one of them. After they shoot they pull the wick out of the gun and hang it on a nail or pin stuck in one of the posts of the firing line, his would just barely smolder, he would blow on it to get it glowing, replace it and shoot. They shoot at a very large target at 50 meters, no comparison against a regular flintlock for accuracy, the guys at Friendship shoot 50's on the reg 100 yd target at 50 yds!
  Regards, Steve C.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:19:58 AM »
Steve C.: Interesting.  So there are matchlock shooters at Friendship and enough of them that there is an event for them. Odd that it should be so difficult. Do you have any idea how many matchlock shooters compete?

My friend Steve, when he's "on", has knocked a coffee mug off a stump at 50 yards with his smoothie matchlock.  He has shot cloverleafs off the bench with his rifle. I can at least keep it in the black offhand at 40 yards on an 8" 7-ring target. Not spectacular, but not scattershot.

Maybe we should get ourselves out to Friendship sometime.

Making good match is important. It's a balancing act to make it hot enough to ignite consistently but not so hot that it spits sparks and endangers you. And yes, as blunderbuss points out, match handling is an art in itself. A wool outer layer also helps, but burn spots are part of the bargain.

The snapping lock is no good. It's better to gently present the match to the pan.

chapmans

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:08:19 PM »
The international team does not shoot at Friendship other than qualifications, it's usually just one evening after the last relay. Jim Tucker would be able to give you more details.
  Regards, Steve

Leatherbelly

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »
quote:"So, anybody out there burning hemp?" end quote.

A buddy burns some! and he shoots one of these behemoths also! His fuse is sash cord. Hemp is for ;D "group tightner". ;D hehehe!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 08:36:25 PM »
A Ulrich Bretscher provides this 1668 matchcord advice: the musketeers used a tightly twisted hemp or flax cord, which they boiled in a pot, filled with ash and water.(They didn't filtrate the ash residue before boiling).Then the match was thoroughly rinsed with plenty of water and dried . . . match was always made from flax or hemp, though nowadays, there are some modern musketeers who make matches from cotton. But cotton never yields a good match, - it burns with too little ember.
The reason for boiling in potassium carbonate (pot ash = wood ash) is to remove the lignin from the cellulose of hemp or flax. In some detail the explanation given is:
Raw textile fibers contain a lot of lignin. Plants need this brown colored lignin as a glue to bond its cellulose fibers. But you, as a musketeer, have to get rid of this lignin, since it produces most of a cord's ash.
If the match, used in a match lock musket, produces a lot of ash, this ash may drop in the open priming pan while aiming and then ignite the gun involuntarily. So watch out, always blow off the ash from the match before opening the pan of your musket! Even a bucked match yields some ashFor bucking a rope, you boil it in a potash solution which dissolves the lignin. Common ash, e.g. from your fire place, contains about 10% potash (potassium carbonate, K2CO3) by weight. It is very alkaline. But you may buy the potash in a drugstore, too. By the way, the meaning of "bucking" is to boil a textile in a bucket (German: beuchen)
Years ago I made a sear-lock, Italian style, rifled barrel. Shot fine. But I had soaked my coton rope in saltpeter, not the thing to do or so I now learn.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »
  Interesting. Where can you find flax/linen cord?  Hmm, I wonder if cotten has lignin in it?

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
Any plant fiber has some lignin.

After much searching I found the right stuff for match, although it still needs work. I get 12mm braided hemp from R&W Rope in Massachusetts. Braided (not twisted) hemp is the right stuff.  Then I get ~2mm hemp cord and pull six strands through the center of the 12mm hemp with a home made needle of #10 solid copper wire.

I buck the match with ash water. That means lining a stainless pot with an old t-shirt, filling it with wood ash, and then filling it with hot water for a 15-minute soak. Then I gather up the shirt and squeeze out the excess water. I simmer the match for a few hours till the water turns brown, then wring/wash/wring/wash/wring/wash out the match in dilute white vinegar to neutralize the hydroxide. It is very important to give the match a good bucking. Otherwise the ash will interfere with ignition.

Some people stop there, but I soak it in a dilute mixture of potassium nitrate. You'll have to experiment for the right mix - just enough to keep it hot, but not enough to make it spit. 5 tablespoons in half a gallon of water or so. Then dry it flat on a cookie sheet. If you hang dry then it will burn extra hot on the dangling ends and not so much in the middle.

Certain types of stump remover are 98% potassium nitrate, by the way.

Well made match should burn with a glowing cone on the end. The shooter puts it in the jaws of the serpentine just before shooting, covers the line between the pan cover and the barrel with his finger, and blows on the match just before raising the musket, opening the pan, and firing.

And you thought flintlocks were cranky. It's a whole new level of fun. And the smoke from the hemp match smells vaguely familiar to a lot of people. I did notice last weekend that the blackflies kept their distance while we had the match going.

blunderbuss

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 11:23:52 PM »
 I used old window cord then found out one can buy pure 3/8 th cotton rope from sailing boat places . It made a real nice pencil point ember. Mine is a 44 cal smoothbore and it will shoot dead on at 50 yards. One sure has to balance the potassium nitrate and water or you come out with a fuse. Potassium Nitrate is no problem around here you can buy it by the box in large grocery stores. It sits right next to the sulfur

doug

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 02:37:58 AM »
  Interesting. Where can you find flax/linen cord?  Hmm, I wonder if cotten has lignin in it?

Presumably in Uznach, Switzerland :>)   (where Uli lives)

cheers Doug

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 05:35:39 AM »
Just in case anyone runs across it again, several years ago I came across an internet post suggesting to dissolve some Triple-Seven in water (think it was 2tbs to a pint of water) and run the match through that solution after bucking & rinsing.  Oh, it sure makes some good hot match alright ... you just gotta be real fast with it.   ;)
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

blunderbuss

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »
One should always be safe but matchlocks put your witts to the test sometime. For example if your going to shoot off the bench and put the match in the serpentine before you sit down be careful that the tiller trigger doesn't mash down on the bench as you lower the piece. I think some shooters put a piece of wood between the tiller and the stock as a safety.The pan should be covered then but still it's something to think about. With a flintlock one must always watch what's to his touch hole side so someone doesn't get splashed but with a match lock there's burning embers from the match flying as well .I understand they burned some castles down that way. Anyone have any other safety tips along those lines?

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 01:46:18 AM »
You're right, blunderbuss - all firearms require care and attention, but the more primitive the weapon the more sophisticated the shooter has to be.

The main thing for safety is conscious match handling. Keep an eye on the ember. The standard historical practice is to keep the match in between the middle and ring finger of the left hand at all times. The ember sticks out like a cigar away from the firearm while loading, in plain sight.

I'm thinking of making a match case similar to what the British Grenadiers carried on their cross belts. It's a perforated brass cylinder with a wooden plug in one end that holds the match. That way I can keep the end safe even if I don't have a place to hang it.

Another thing is using single loads of powder, either in paper cartridges or the wooden bottles of "The Twelve Apostles."

Putting the match in the serpentine is the very last thing I do before opening the pan and firing. That's the real "safety" on a matchlock. I don't open the pan until I have the musket at my shoulder. I also keep the match hooked in the fingers of my left hand so if it is blown out of the serpentine on firing it doesn't fling itself away somewhere.

The better you buck the match, the less ash and spray from it when the priming charge goes off. Another help is to put in a vent liner and keep the vent hole small. When I got my musket it had a military style drilled vent that you could throw a cat through. The side blast from it was almost as big as the muzzle blast. Now it has a 1/16" vent hole and is more civilized.

Matchlocks tend to have large priming pans, but I don't fill mine. I try to spread out a thin layer of prime in the pan so that the match has a large target to hit. Less spew and easier on the match, too.

My musket has a tiller, but both of Steve's have normal looking triggers with trigger guards. The tiller actually allows for more delicate control over the serpentine - more leverage and longer travel. Trickier to hang on to the musket, though.

Project #487 on my to-do list is to make a small pear-shaped leather-bodied priming flask. I'm going to do it with cuir boulli (boiled leather) and then wax it. With leather if it lights up it will go "blap" instead of "bang." Still unpleasant, but no shrapnel.

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 02:09:47 AM »
This thread needs pictures...

blunderbuss

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 10:55:18 PM »
The second match lock I made I made the flash pan elongated and had the match touch just behind the touch hole so the touch hole flash wouldn't destroy my match.
 I saw an original match lock once that had an automatic pan opener some how when the serpentine came down it opened the pan. What will they think of next?

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 01:12:02 AM »
Hillbilly wanted some pictures, so here goes:

This is "The Club," my repro 1660s era military matchlock, made by John Buck. I forged a new trigger lever out of wrought iron, replaced the flash guard with a larger one, and put in a stainless vent to replace the drilled vent. I also sanded out a huge hollow for my cheek on the other side. Note the lack of drop.

Same lock, pan open.

My buddy Steve dressed as Theodoric of York, 17th century musketeer. He has his fishtail-stocked smoothbore in hand. Note the "12 Apostles" hanging on his baldrick - wooden powder charge bottles.

The matchlock rifle Steve made. It's in the style of an early 18th century continental European target rifle. Matchlocks held out in that sphere for a while after their practical obsolescence.

A closeup of the rifle lock. Much more refined than on my Club. Note the peep sight on the tang - historically correct for this type of rifle.

Steve hurling leaden death at a woods walk. He did well in the general competition and took the prize in the "Hidden X" shoot for 75 pounds of lead.

Matchlocks make flintlocks look low-maintenance, but that's half the challenge.

blunderbuss

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:29 AM »
Nice piece have you ever hunted with it? I'm thinking about hunting with mine . Maybe out of a stand with a zippo close to light the match with if a deer comes around.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
Thanks. I'm not a hunter, just a paper puncher.

Steve is planning to take his matchlock rifle out this next season. He got a buck with his flint Jaeger a few years ago, so I'd say he has a chance.

Hmm, the problem is either bringing 900 feet of match and sitting there hoping the wind is right, or else keeping the lighter in hand and hoping the deer is deaf.

blunderbuss

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
I've been trying to post some pictures of my matchlock but have only come up frustrated so far I'll keep trying I'm past the photo bucket mine field but can't get them to post here.

I was thinking of hunting from a stand and that should make it quieter I'm looking for a real quiet lighter . I've been shooting deer with my Jaeger for years I'll post some hunting stories about it on the big game hunting thread gotta try the matchlock

blunderbuss

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 10:55:52 PM »
[img width=700 height=525]http://i51.tinypic.com/do9cgo.jpg[/img]

This one is not finished  as in the decoration. Most of the decorated guns had some sort of a theme This one is the story of creation .

Sorry I tried to add this picture to the one of the complete gun and some how the complete gun disappeared
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:09:09 AM by blunderbuss »

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:55 AM »
Wow, it looks like a museum piece. Good period decoration style for the musket style, as far as my knowledge of it goes. I really like the plant work over the lock. I'd be worried to take it out in the field, although I suppose the nobility did back then.

But yeah, take down a deer with it and you can be satisfied with your skill. You can have bragging rights over the flint shooters: "Ohhh, a self igniting gun. How convenient. What next, a laser sight?"  ;D

blunderbuss

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 01:30:25 AM »
There was a knot in the wood a real small one so I decided to put an inlay over it. Well I made a small flower and in layed it. It looked so lonesome I put some silver wire around it and then that looked un balanced then I got to looking at pictures and doing more inlay and got a theme About that time I began to understand alcohol and drug addiction.
It's a .45 cal a 433 ball fits nice and I decided to shoot two balls at a time and one pretty much follows the other. Your right now it's to decorated to take into the woods I'll have to start over. I've done the same thing with a wheellock

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:26:18 AM by blunderbuss »

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
There was a knot in the wood a real small one so I decided to put an inlay over it. Well I made a small flower and in layed it. It looked so lonesome I put some silver wire around it and then that looked un balanced then I got to looking at pictures and doing more inlay and got a theme About that time I began to understand alcohol and drug addiction.
It's a .45 cal a 433 ball fits nice and I decided to shoot two balls at a time and one pretty much follows the other. Your right now it's to decorated to take into the woods I'll have to start over. I've done the same thing with a wheellock

nadda- shoot the dang thing- especially a gun that is finished to look 400 years old, but is brand new.