Author Topic: Just asking cause I don't know.  (Read 11279 times)

Zech

Just asking cause I don't know.
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:12:58 AM »
Ok I maybe in a management position and acquire a salary, but I don't have alot of money. I would love to have a flintlock(or several;)). How can I acquire one? Full length stock any Cal. Plain jane. Nothing fancy, it just needs to fit in the 1750 to 1800 range. What kind of price am I looking at?

Offline whitebear

Re: Just asking cause I don't know.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  A plain Jane rifle would probably start at about $800.00 and go up depending on how fancy you want and who builds it.  I am sure some of the builders on here will chime in with better info.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »
You kind of have to know what you are looking at.    If you buy good parts to build a rifle it is real easy to spend $600, just
on the parts.   If you can buy a gun for $800, you can't expect too much.   There is also that group that could buy a Jim
Chambers kit for $900-$1000 and produce an $800 gun.   If you are seriously looking for a gun, I would spend a few bucks and go to the CLA show in Lexington, Ky.     Look for a few of those guys that are wearing "ALR" tee shirts, introduce yourself, and get some help.   There are some people that make an inexpensive gun, but you have to know what you are looking at before you buy it....................Don

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
Zech,  I think it's pretty obvious that you want to do 18thC. reenacting and 1750 to 1800 is a pretty wide spread.  It's back to the books... you have to decide on and develop a specific 'persona,' aligned to your age, a more specific period and more importantly, to a specific region/colony that you're going to be representative of. 

That being said, you can't go wrong with a 1st. Model or even a 2nd. Model Brown Bess, as a first purchase.  Japanese and Italian producers are the ones that you'll be looking for.  Avoid anything from India or Pakistan.  Someone here may have one for sale and from time-to-time, Track Of The Wolf, will have one.

Having picked your persona, you'll probably find out for yourself, that as you acquire the necessary accoutrements, clothing and 'kit,' that collectively, all this 'stuff,' will be far more expensive than the Bess.  Being 'Period Correct," and being in 'Juried' events, doesn't come cheap. 

My best recommendation for someone just starting out:  A 1st. or 2nd. Model Brown Bess will get you started, for little money (relatively) and covers a lot of ground, regionally and historically.

Look to/investigate Wormsloe Plantation and events they hold there.  The "18thC. Colonial Faire and Muster," is hosted there, every February, with re-enactors in colonial dress, demonstrating 18thC. skills, etc. etc. .  Attend, introduce yourself and ask questions.

Good luck!     

Offline whitebear

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »
Both of these gentlemen have given you good information.
In the beginning God...

Zech

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »
Thank you guys for the great info. Yes I want my first to be something I can reenact with, but my fascination with flintlocks goes far beyond reenacting. In all honesty there are just a few modern weapons that I want for my collection. There are far too many flintlocks to count that I want in my collection. The main thing is that they be modeled after those from the 18th century. This has been in the back of my mind for years, and after doing a few living histories, the bug has bit and bit HARD.   Is there a lra or fla group that can help? Longrifle anonymous, or Flintlock anonymous? Like I tell my wife at least its not drugs!

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:37:04 AM »
Straight off the Internet.  (what a surprise, eh)
Search:   colonial reenacting (or reenactment) groups in georgia

Georgia
Macon
Historical Enterprises
Rt 6, Box 554
Macon GA  31217
Phone 478 738-9669
Web Site http://www.historicalenterprises.com/
E-mail mailto:webmaster@historicalenterprises.com
Description runs Historicaltrekking.com, On the Trail Magazine, The Colonial Market, and publishes and hosts web sites for suppliers
Type of Resource Reenacting Resource
Nature of  Group or Site Web Site
Research  Magazine

GA

Macon

Historical Trekking.com

Address

Macon  GA

Web Site  www.historicaltrekking.com

Description  Large site of reenacting and living history articles, tips, forums, and

links on trekking

Primary Focus  History Resource

Kind of Activity  Link List

Nature of Group or Site  Web Site

New or Updated:  3/22/2006

Georgia
Macon
History Frontier
Address
Macon GA
Phone
Web Site http://www.historyfrontier.com/
E-mail mailto:office@historycom.com
Description site for 18th century history and reenacting, includes list of suppliers
Era 18th century

Georgia
Macon
On The Trail Magazine
Rt 6, Box 554
Macon GA 31217
Phone 478 738-9669
Web Site www.ottmagazine.com
E-mail mailto:office@ottmagazine.com
Description Experimental Archaeology & historical trekking 1600-1840
Type of  Resource Reenacting Resource
Nature of Group Trekking
Research  Magazine

http://www.revwar.com/reenact/general.html

http://www.nwta.com/links/reenact.html

http://www.americanrevolution.org/reenact.html

the above with links... ad infinitum

... Yes I want my first to be something I can reenact with, ...  The main thing is that they be modeled after those from the 18th century. ...

A Brown Bess doesn't meet these criteria?

These exchanges have been, somewhat of a redundant proposition, so without further comment (though I am so sorely, sorely, tempted,) I am withdrawing.  The rest, is up to you.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:56:14 AM by G.Hansen »

Zech

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:23:38 AM »
Mr. Hansen,

I regret that I was not clear enough for you. Reenacting is NOT the only reason I am posting here. Yes I WILL be purchasing a Brown Bess. I want a flintlock that is suitable for reenacting but that is NOT a Brown Bess. I know what a Brown Bess cost, and I know where I can find them at any price. In my opinion most farmers or shop owners didn't have a Brown Bess. At best they had some flintlock that was for hunting at most. When they would join the militia, if the militia didnt issue a weapon, as I figure it, they would have to use what they had. That is why I am looking for a plain jane flintlock at would be suitable for 18th century reenacting. My love for blackpowder goes further than reenacting or living histories. I'm trying to get in contact with a custom flintlock builder or two that I can depend on to build my longrifles. Maybe just maybe I can learn a skill or two and start building for myself. The whole nine yards longrifles, bags, and powder horns. Not just a Brown Bess.

Thank You

Zech Gilbert

Offline whitebear

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:45:07 AM »
Zech, I am sure you know about TOTW.  Probably TVM would be as good as any and better than some to build you a rifle contact them and discuss with Mat to Toni what you want and they will probably be glad to work with you.  Let me know if I can help.
In the beginning God...

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:46:29 PM »
Zech,

In your reenacting are you intending to portray a Georgian or someone from some other colony?  That may help determine a range of guns that might be suitable......of course you might have used any period gun, but some are more likely than others depending on your narrative.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

ottawa

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »
Z reenacting groups are a good place to start to look for what you want in a flintlock some folks out there always have one for  sale at a decent price . and if you go and look around at a event you mite get a better idea of what you really want to start with and a better price selection .just follow theadvice about the origin of the Bess ...

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
Zech - I really like used rifles  - you just have to be a bit flexible with regard to calibers, styles, etc. to be ready to jump on a good deal when it presents itself.  Be patient, save up the amount of cash you can afford, and keep your eyes open on here and on the CLA website for used rifles.  Also - it sounds like you are in the southeast so you are within a days drive of many of the best shows in the country, so bring your cash and attend those and keep your eyes open too.  With more and more good rifles being built, more and more good used rifles seem to be turning up these days.  Good rifles, some of which I think are incredible values by great builders, turn up fairly frequently on here and on the CLA, but you have to be ready to jump when the good ones show up.  So in the meantime, get as educated as you can on what to look for - good architecture, timeframes of the different styles, quality of various parts, and proper assembly, function and safety, so you will know what is a good value that is up your alley.  Folks on here will be happy to answer your questions and give you our opinions, preferably by PM or e-mail.  Good parts, good workmanship and good architecture are the most important factors - decoration is secondary.  A well built nicely shaped rifle with good parts will stand on its own merit without a need for much decoration.

Good luck

Guy
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:55:08 PM by G-Man »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
I really like used rifles  - you just have to be a bit flexible with regard to calibers, styles, etc. to be ready to jump on a good deal when it presents itself.....

Amen to that Guy.  Case in point, the Royland Southgate rifle sold here recently for $450 shipped!  Granted it was a caplock but still a great buy on, in my opinion, a great rifle.  Keep looking!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
Mr. Hansen,

I regret that I was not clear enough for you. Reenacting is NOT the only reason I am posting here. Yes I WILL be purchasing a Brown Bess. I want a flintlock that is suitable for reenacting but that is NOT a Brown Bess. I know what a Brown Bess cost, and I know where I can find them at any price. In my opinion most farmers or shop owners didn't have a Brown Bess. At best they had some flintlock that was for hunting at most. When they would join the militia, if the militia didnt issue a weapon, as I figure it, they would have to use what they had. That is why I am looking for a plain jane flintlock at would be suitable for 18th century reenacting. My love for blackpowder goes further than reenacting or living histories. I'm trying to get in contact with a custom flintlock builder or two that I can depend on to build my longrifles. Maybe just maybe I can learn a skill or two and start building for myself. The whole nine yards longrifles, bags, and powder horns. Not just a Brown Bess.

Thank You

Zech Gilbert

Hey Zech, 

Welcome to the board.  I would start by focusing on what persona I was going to portray farmer, hunter, etc.  Then what geographic area? Were you wealthy, poor or middling class?  Once you have these answers you can find a direction to go with the type of firearm you want.   I would second going to the CLA show if you can or the NMLRA shoot coming up.  Keep asking questions and do your research.  Good luck!!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
The others are correct.  There are some nice used guns that show up at reasonable prices on places like Gun Broker, Auction Arms, etc and right here on the forum.  Just today on Buffalo Bills Shooting Store website, I saw a nice looking flint rifle for $895.  However, it depends on who or what you want to portray when reenacting.  And whoever said that it takes about $600 to just buy the parts to build a flintlock hit the nail on the head, and that is if you buy a medium grade of wood.  Best of luck. "Keep your nose to the ground and your eyes on the skyline" and you will find what you are looking for.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
Here is a good example of a gun that is perfect for you and it is for sale for half of wjhat it is probably worth.............
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=16650.0#bot
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »
I agree with Dr. Tim, a great price, built by one of ours on the ALR, sold by one of ours, fits the persona of a Georgia common man, good militia gun, can be used by for turkey, deer or even black bear, and rabbits.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Zech

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 05:10:12 AM »
Thanks doc just what I had in mind now if I just had the money. Really though that is what I am looking for. Thanks again.

Offline HIB

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 06:58:06 AM »
Zech, I would like to tell you your search is going to be easy,but it won't be. You have been given some good advice but I caution you on proceeding on the cheap. If you set your sights on an investment as well as a gun you can be proud of to shoot and carry during you reenactments than I think you should be thinking in terms of $2500 to $4000.

A trip to the CLA show in Lexington, Ky in August is a must before you part with yours or your wife's savings. And the persona mention previously is grand advice as well since the farmer and doctor fell in two different economic situations. In addition, you need to learn as much as you can about the originals. The CLA show will help there also as many antique dealers display in the antique section.

Accumulation is not all it is kicked up to be. Remember this little word of advice and you will do well in the future; "it's not how many, but, how good"  Regards, HIB

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »
You can build a better gun that you can buy. The problem occurs when you realize that your next build will be better than the last. My house is on the verge of leaking rifles right now because of that.

KennyC

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 06:09:34 AM »
For that price range I would buy 2plain janes  smoothbor and a rifle