Author Topic: November Class  (Read 6069 times)

Pratt

November Class
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:14:14 AM »
Log Cabin Sport Shop
Flintlock Gunsmithing Classes

Saturday 11/15/08, 12:00 – 4:00 PM: 
   At the November class we will discuss stock pattern development , this will be geared toward the upcoming Gun Building Class project but will be of interest to all.
   In response to requests at last month’s class we will also show how to prepare a signature plate and demonstrate inletting it into a rifle barrel.

We will be changing to our new class format in December as we will be starting the Gun Building Class for those who signed up. This class will run full days, the same hours as regular Saturday store hours. Those who did not sign up for this class are more than welcome to come and watch.
   On these same days we will still continue to have our usual talks and demonstrations for everybody, the time slot for this will be included in the December class announcement. 

Pratt

Re: November Class
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 03:19:49 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot, anybody at the class mentions the @!*% golden mean and we move your chair outside up against the 50 yard backstop

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot, anybody at the class mentions the @!*% golden mean and we move your chair outside up against the 50 yard backstop

Right on , Ian

eagle24

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
Man, I wish you guys were down here in the south.  I would love to attend your classes.  Will you be covering the Golden Mean in this one?

Pratt

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 07:25:31 PM »
Greg, I tell you what if you come on up we'll do that. I'll save you a seat.

Really I got nothing against it, I saw it's value first hand when I used to work in construction. there was this guy called Strange Larry - bear with me here there is going to be a point made - anyhow Strange Larry was almost seven feet tall and had hurt himself years back when he fell off some scaffolding and landed in a running mortar mixer. He had to have several ribs and vertabrae removed, fused etc, he was a mess. The top part of his body looked too short for his legs.  Anyhow, one day at morning coffee break Strange Larry was standing there stretching and suddenly the surveyor drops what he's doing, comes running over to Larry. He grabs him by the arm and starts talking to him real serious, then leads him away. They get in the surveyor's truck and away they go.
  We didn't see Larry for a few months. Then one day the following Spring I found out what had happened.  I pulled up on a new job early one morning and to my suprise saw the surveyor and a couple helpers flipping Strange Larry end for end around the job site, his arms and legs extended like he was frozen in mid cartwheel. To make a long story short, the accident had made Larry into a set of human Golden Mean Dividers. They were using him to lay things out, set elevations etc, all to the proper proportions. Larry appeared to be in great pain but would not quit, because after years of various dead end jobs and occasionally making medium sized quantities of crystal meth for profit he had finally found his place in the universe, his reason for being. Strange Larry was complete.
  The buildings were amazing. It was effortless to look at them, not a broken line anywhere. And there was a strange power inside them, once I had to go inside one of them to hook up a water line. For weeks afterwards I only slept an hour each night and still felt well rested, and for a short time I was able to understand several foreign languages.  Most of these buildings were built for light industrial manufacturing, and we are told that the workers who labor there are always cheerful, never miss a day of work and are the most productive and efficient employees in the history of mass production.

lew wetzel

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:51:35 PM »
ian,,,,,that is such a beautiful story!!!!please tell another!!!

Offline b bogart

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »
First exquisite rifles now first class fertilizer! Bravo Ian. ;D
Bruce

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »
Now that's funny!
You gotta love those stories about guys with names like Strange Larry!

John
John Robbins

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »

LMAO, I can't quit! OUTSTANDING

Tim C.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:56:06 PM by Tim Crosby »

Ohioan

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 09:10:50 PM »
Man, you have too much time on your hands!

eagle24

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:54:10 AM »
hehe! ;D

That sheds a whole new light on the Golden Mean thing.  Most of my dimensions have been dictated by how much material I had to remove to get rid of a screw up. ;)

Strange Larry Huh?  I think I might know that guy. :-\

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 01:16:17 AM »
hehe! ;D

That sheds a whole new light on the Golden Mean thing.  Most of my dimensions have been dictated by how much material I had to remove to get rid of a screw up. ;)

Strange Larry Huh?  I think I might know that guy. :-\

Wait a minute guys -- I'm 5'11".  I can reach 74 ". That can't be the Golden Mean  -  er, can it?  Besides I can't turn cart wheels.   ;D

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
Ian:
You need to incorporate more of this stuff (the stand-up routine) into our classes.  Your as funny as Larry the Cable Guy! Get Err Done!
BillP

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »
I thought I should bump this up to the top.  Hope to see you all tomorrow at the class.  Remember to bring your ruler or graphing calculator or lap top so Ian can show us all how to use the Golden Mean.  I hope they have enough power there to run the Sun work station I am bringing!

BillP