Author Topic: Red Bud lumber  (Read 3377 times)

Offline b bogart

Red Bud lumber
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:45:29 AM »
I have my eye on  a Red Bud tree that is going to be removed for "development" of a property. Tree is about the size of an apple tree. I thought it was a cherry tree until examined closer. Trunk is about 2 1/2  to 3 feet thick, and burled to beat the band. It is this big for about 4 feet above the ground. Now the big question, is this lumber good for anything?? I thought I read somewhere that it is very dense and hard when seasoned. Is this correct? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks for any info that anyone can provide!
Bruce

D. Bowman

Re: Red Bud lumber
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »
Very hard and heavy usually with lots of inclusions. Never seen one that large.I have turned some on the lathe it is beautiful wood . I just don't think you will find it
 good for larger projects.

D.Bowman

keweenaw

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 04:14:24 PM »
Bowl turners and other people who make turned projects would love to have it, other than that it probably doesn't have much value.  I suspect it will check quickly as it dries, although I may be wrong on that.  People who turn bowls like it green before it checks.  They rough turn their pieces and let them dry.  The pieces will go out of round but won't check that way as the water is lost uniformly over all the surface.  Once it's dry they turn to final dimensions.  Seems like a shame for something that unique to get trashed, try to find someone who would enjoy having it.

Tom

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:43:27 AM »
Ok but it sounds like it would be good for accourterments, etc??? And yea this is an abnormality. There is a second trunk that is probably a foot across and 6 feet long. That sucker has to be 75 years old or more.
Heck I always thought it to be an apple tree until closer examination proved me wrong!
Bruce

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »
One huge red bud! I have never seen one  greater than about 8-10" through.
Gene