Author Topic: Five Shots on Paper -or- Five Shots Only  (Read 5050 times)

Candle Snuffer

Five Shots on Paper -or- Five Shots Only
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:51:03 AM »
With the post about the pros & cons of using spotting scopes at events, I feel we should address this question as well.

Some rules read 5 shots on paper, while some read five shots only at the target.

I have always been for the latter - Five Shots Only...  You either mark with all five shots or you don't.

Thoughts, comments?

Our club rules have always been - Five shots only...

Offline wvmtnman

Re: Five Shots on Paper -or- Five Shots Only
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:20:02 AM »
I have only been to one shoot and there was no one counting how many shots you took but you could only have 5 shots in the target.  Is there someone at your shoot counting how many shots each guy takes or is it any honesty thing? 
I think that you should be allowed to take a fowling shot then only 5 for each target.
As for the spoting scope, I do not feel that you should be allowed while shooting at the target.  If you want to look after you finish your 5 shots, then OK.
                                                                      Brian
B. Lakatos

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:31:15 AM »
We run our shoots on the honor system and I can't say as anyone is counting someone elses shots?  I know I don't.  I only count mine. 

We have had targets come in for scoring that ranged anywhere from no holes to all five, maybe not always in the scoring rings, but I feel the folks are honest in the White River Brigade.

straightshooter1

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »
Frankly,
If someone wants to take more than five shots at the paper, I personally am confident enough in my own ability, I am not going to fret over them. If they need that many shots to get five on paper, I more than likely will not lose to them! Nobig deal to me!

Jim Thomas

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »
"glass" will change our rules to 5 shots on paper per 20 minute relay.   Best hits will be dropped for each extra hole... of course.   Those pesky little nicks on the paper edge will be costly.   

Before, our rule was, if mechanical failure caused less than 5 shots to be possible (range officer had to be alerted to the problem) the remaining shots could be taken in the next relay.  But, the shooter could not go out and view the target between relays.   We lose that with "glass".     

It seems like we are giving up something to gain something.   I'll wait to see if it is worth the cost.   

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
Frankly,
If someone wants to take more than five shots at the paper, I personally am confident enough in my own ability, I am not going to fret over them. If they need that many shots to get five on paper, I more than likely will not lose to them! Nobig deal to me!
I can go along with that!!   Years ago most clubs had the 5 shots at the target; but who is going to be the 'enforcer'??  That was the question. so it ended up that the 5 shots at the paper died out and the 5 shots on the paper gained favor!

As an aside:::: years ago on a woodswak a shooter was hanging on his trigger when the rifle fired at about half mast!!! :o  The 'judge' allowed him to take another shot!!
That is still sticking in my craw (a little--) ;D

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 02:41:39 AM »
I can't imagine a MATCH that allowed someone to shoot 8 shots just to get 5 on the paper.  What kind of fool set those rules is my first thought. Sometimes my first thoughts are hard on someone's feelings - sorry for that.

Restricting people to no-glass should eliminate the plinkers.  Of course, someone who has to shoot 8 to get 5 on target won't be in the running, but allowing such idiocy grates on me somewhat.

Chris C

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:50:17 AM »
As Jim said, we will see where we go with the glass at the Pines next year.  The vote was for hand held binoculars and hand held spotting scopes only, and I think  that when the range officer calls for "any hot ones" at the end of the relay there will be more shooters who spent more time looking then shooting, and thus slow up the shooting.

The nicks in the side of the paper and shooting on another person's target will prove costly, because under the old system, with 4 holes in one target and 6 holes in the other target it clearly showed a cross fire and under the new system of five on paper it will be hard to spot cross fires.

We will see what happens.

SPletcher

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:31:02 AM »

No glass at our club at all, members feel pretty strong about that.  Relays are five shot relays...

If shooter can't finish due relay, is allowed to finish in next relay but may not look at target or post another target.

Steve