Author Topic: Teflon Ticking???  (Read 3547 times)

Offline wvmtnman

Teflon Ticking???
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:29:22 AM »
Has anyone here used this stuff?  If so, what do you think of it.  I need to but some more .018 patching material pretty soon.  I saw this stuff advertised in Muzzleblasts and was wondering about it.
                                                              Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline George Sutton

Re: Teflon Ticking???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:39:42 AM »
Hi Brian, look in the Black Powder Shooting Archives on this site. There has been other discussion on teflon patching. Today it is on page 9.

Centershot
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:40:10 AM by Centershot »

chapmans

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:11:02 AM »
Brian,
   Hi. I have shot some of the best scores I've ever shot using teflon, I use it for X-sticks and bench targets but not so much for offhand, when you use teflon you have to clean after every shot and when you get used to shooting all afternoon without cleaning you tend to get spoiled. I would highly recomend it for bench and X-stick matches and I do use it for offhand sometimes when I shoot at Friendship.
  Regards, Steve C

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »
Yep, Steve is on the money with this!  I lost an x-stick match (on a less then favorable day for shooting) just this past September.  The feller edged me out by a point; 93-0x to my 92-3x...  He was using the teflon patching as he normally does, and I was using the TC 1000+ lube.

In competition if the teflon patch can gain you a point or two, I'd say go for it.  I think I'll be trying some of this myself. :)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »
Ol Joe and Schtevie are on the mark.   In my case I found that at times using 80 3 f Goex in my fairly worn 45 Getz I was "burning" a patch or 2.  Lower charges my combo of .454 .015 patch and spit was just fine....

I went to teflon which (again in my case) was a tad thicker - .017 it hangs together and shot a tighter group (done in calm conditions from a rest) in both my offhand Getz and also my log gun!!    And the bench shooters 'all' use it!  The odd part is that when used in my well worn .45 offhand rifle I must clean/wipe at least every 3rd shot and really should after every shot.  In my chunk rifle I can shoot at least 10 shots until she gets a tad rough to shove the next one down!

Why am I admitting this?? ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:43:36 PM by Roger Fisher »