Author Topic: What gun configuration is best suited to this?  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

What gun configuration is best suited to this?
« on: June 05, 2011, 12:42:21 AM »
If you saw the discussion about varmit hunting under black powder shooting, this is a related question.  I want to build a large bore (10ga) for the specific purpose of firing F or #4 buckshot on varmits (coyotes and bobcats).  Would like a handy length with handling character no worse than 12ga semi autos.  It is going to need some weight between the hands to offset some pretty hefty loads/recoil.  Probably stick with flintlock but not likely to be longrifle format.  Your suggestions would be appreciated before I start ordering barrel and wood. 

Offline Ben I. Voss

Re: What gun configuration is best suited to this?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:57:44 AM »
Sounds like you need a late halfstock British-style gun: fast handling and able to handle recoil.

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:14:55 AM »
Twer it me I would go with an english pattern gun with a really wide butt plate.  Make a stout gun and make sure you have a positive pitch of 3 - 4 inches.   4 ounces of lead in holes   under  the butt plate will make it point a bit quicker and help with recoil.  No more than 30 inch barrel length and at least a modified choke of 25 =30 thou. and you should be good to go.
     Cheers     Bob

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:52:08 AM »
Greybeard,
By positive pitch, do you mean drop of stock?
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:03:37 AM »
Greybeard,
volatpluvia
[/quote
  No!! There was a good discusion on pitch a month or so ago. You should be able to find it.
   It was one of my topics and it will be exlained there.
      Bob

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:05:31 AM »
Greybeard,
volatpluvia
[/quote
  No!! There was a good discusion on pitch a month or so ago. You should be able to find it.
   It was one of my topics and it will be exlained there.
      Bob
[/quo     Click on the search button at the top of the  page . type in    //  pitch //

Offline HIB

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:37:09 AM »
Jerry, I have done plenty of varmit hunting with a flintlock longrifle. Mostly ground varmits were a rifle seems to give more range. I have often thought it would be neat to have a shot load as well for the occasional crow, turkey or canada I might spook. And always in the back of my mind has been the chance of coming across a rattler or copperhead. Nothing better than those rascals to recognize the effects of a lot of lead.

I solved my problem with a swivel breech. One barrel rifled the other smooth and both in 50 cal. That has since changed to 54 cal as my son is using the gun for deer and canada's at the same time.

Just an idea you might consider. The extra weight also handles the recoil issue well.

Good luck with the coyotes,   HIB