Author Topic: powder question  (Read 5365 times)

The other DWS

powder question
« on: June 05, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »
Its been quite a while since I've been here on the ALR site, unfortunately too many other pressing priorities,.

However I recently acquired 16 1# can of 1 1/2 FG Swiss schuetzen powder.  I'm wondering if/how well it'll work in my .54 and .50 (in-the-works) cal flintlock rifles, and my 45 cal percussion schuetzen (using conical bullets-specifically the old Lee "modern minie')

I have used the finer grades of GOEX for years, mostly in smooth bore trade guns with only nominal experience of flint rifles, and no experience at all with the Swiss powder.    I'm trying to determine if this is stuff to keep and use, or to sell/trade for finer powder.

chapmans

Re: powder question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:40 AM »
It should work very well in those calibers, I use Swiss 2f in my .40 cal with great success, Swiss is great powder!
Regards, Steve Chapman

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:05:11 AM »
I've nver used it, but I now the answer - yes. Anything that can be used in a rifle can be used.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:06:03 AM by Daryl »

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:06:20 AM »
I know it is the powder of choice in the big bore long range Quigly-esque black powder cartridge rifles where is is used in compressed loads. Apparently with them the degree and uniformity of compression is a critical function of accuracy.
  And they are using very heavy for bore diameter slugs  at much longer that M/L roundball ranges---500 plus grains of lead for a .45 cal bore.  Ergo, much higher breech pressures than M/L.  I am wondering about how much of that high pressure contributes to its reputation for clean burning?

I figured that in ML rifle loading it should work as well once the load compression/ bullet/ball weight factors are figured in.  One of my reservations is it's ignition properties with a flintlock system

chapmans

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:11:17 AM »
I just reread your post, is it Swiss powder or is it Schuetzen powder. I've not heard of 1 1/2 Schuetzen. 1 1/2 Swiss is really closer to 2f Goex in granulation size, I would not hesitate to use it. Swiss is, imo, the best black powder made, there should be no ignition problems!
Steve

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:38:48 AM »
Its just a little slower than 2f swiss. Should do fine in a 50-54 with some load development.
Might work at the same charge weight as 2f Goex.
Should would very well in a bullet gun.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »
As far as compression is concerned, consistant pressure on the rod when seating the ball on the powder is just as vitally important in a muzzleloader as it is in a ctg. gun. Consistancy is probably 50% of the load's potential accuracy. 

The other DWS

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 12:29:26 AM »
do you mark the ramrod to get uniform compression?    Has anyone ever noted ramrod markings on originals

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 03:21:28 AM »
I don't normally mark a rod. I know when the ball is on the powder by feel and seat it the same each time.As the day wears on, the loading height will change due to fouling buildup in the breech so a mark might promote crushing the powder, or giving more pressure than what shoots with that load you so carefully developed.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:22:35 AM »
I use 1 1/2Fg Swiss in my cartridge rifle and in my .54 flintlock.  It seems to me to be very very similar in performance to 2Fg Swiss in both guns.  I load the .54 with 80gr Swiss but Goex took 90 for the same result. 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »
I don't normally mark a rod. I know when the ball is on the powder by feel and seat it the same each time.As the day wears on, the loading height will change due to fouling buildup in the breech so a mark might promote crushing the powder, or giving more pressure than what shoots with that load you so carefully developed.
Very true; but the other side of the coin states that a marked rod tells you loud and clear that you have double charged the ol gal, of course I never doubled up.

(lately) ::)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »
Its been quite a while since I've been here on the ALR site, unfortunately too many other pressing priorities,.

However I recently acquired 16 1# can of 1 1/2 FG Swiss schuetzen powder.  I'm wondering if/how well it'll work in my .54 and .50 (in-the-works) cal flintlock rifles, and my 45 cal percussion schuetzen (using conical bullets-specifically the old Lee "modern minie')

I have used the finer grades of GOEX for years, mostly in smooth bore trade guns with only nominal experience of flint rifles, and no experience at all with the Swiss powder.    I'm trying to determine if this is stuff to keep and use, or to sell/trade for finer powder.

Swiss is the better powder.
For one thing it has no graphite.
The high polish is just that the powder is carefully polished.
It has a slightly higher percentage of saltpeter and is milled and pressed with more care and consistency.
Its the powder of choice for most serious shooters.
I can shoot my Nock breech rifle all day with Swiss. Some other powders will plug the passage in the breech in 3 shots.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »
Regarding seating pressure, Steve and I ran a compression experiment where we used a collar on the bench rod to control the seating pressures exactly.  We adjusted the collar to test the amount of compression the same way BPCR  do.  IIRC besides just touching the ball, we used 1/16", 1/8", and 3/16" of compression.  BTW both percussion and flint rifle versions responded well to compression.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.