Author Topic: Ramrod tips  (Read 2109 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Ramrod tips
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
I've been using brass ramrod tips on my ramrods for my flintlock rifles. How historically correct is that and when did it come into common use. I have seen rifles built both with and without and some with the brass tip on the wrong end so it is hidden. I use them for the practicality of the device with attaching tools to the tip.

Comments please

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Ramrod tips
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
These are the ones I use that I think are more likely to be HC. Made by our own Darin McDonal.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=14341.0

I suppose it depends on the type of gun and wher it was built and how much you paid for it....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:35:20 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Online Long Ears

Re: Ramrod tips
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
Last year at Dixon's I discussed this subject with Mr. Chambers. Jim told me that very few if any Ramrods had brass tips. They are steel like Dr. Tim shows. Jim also stated they were on the small end of the tapered rod inside of the stock. He must be correct if you look at the best contemporary builders on this forum. It is how they do it. I came home and changed all of mine. They are a trick to build the first time. Bob