Author Topic: Flintlock Pistol Accident - 1804  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
Flintlock Pistol Accident - 1804
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:54:07 AM »
I think this has been discussed before but for you folks interested this is a good read. As part of Jefferson's exploration of the far west, along with Lewis and Clark to the northwest, he sent Hunter and Dunbar from the Mississippi River up the Ouachita (Wash-e-tah)
 River to the Hot Springs, Ark. area in 1804. During the trip Doctor Hunter had an interesting mishap while loading one of his pistols. Here is his journal entry and a link at the bottom for the journals of both men, maps, provision lists and cost, etc. Interesting.    Danny

#8 Nov. 22, 1804
Being a considerable distance now, above all habitations, I thought it prudent to load my
pistols; in doing which I was sitting on a trunk, resting the butt thereon, and whilst ramming
down the ball, the motion of the boat caused the pistol to slip off the trunk and instantly
discharged itself in my face. The ball, ramrod and contents went through between my right
thumb and two principal fingers, which were thereby much lacerated and torn, the charge passing
along by my face burnt off my eye brows and lashes, scorching the skin, went through my hat
within an inch of my right temple, giving me a dreadful blow and passed through the roof of the
boat The concussion burst the bottom out of the power horn and scattered to ¾ of powder on the
table, without setting it on fire.
The accident deprived me of the use of my right hand for above two weeks and my eyes
were so inflamed that it was as long before I could either see to write or to take an observation.
Came this day 14 miles 137 perches. Being cloudy no observation was taken.

http://www.nps.gov/hosp/forteachers/upload/dunbar.hunter.lesson06.pdf
North Louisiana

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
Re: Flintlock Pistol Accident - 1804
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
And no mention of the ringing of the ears or need to change clothing????  Maybe that is just a given??

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:03:44 PM by bdixon »

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »
One of the problems of priming first, as was the norm, prior to loading the barrel.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:22:28 AM »
Leaves a lot to question about the incident.   Since the ramrod and ball were already in the bore and with his hand still on the ramrod, how did the powder horn get involved, and just how did the "concussion "of a pistol firing "shatter"  the bottom of the powder horn scattering the powder over a table unburned?  I think the Doctor may be embellishing parts of this incident for whatever reason.  Or perhaps he had been drinking part of the whiskey cargo on the float.  His statement he could not see to write for several days may have a different root cause. 

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:21:33 AM »
Your probably right jerry. If you read the journal, Dunbar writes about the incident also - both men kept journals. Dunbar gives an interesting "scientific" explanation of concussion pressure causing the horn damage. I've read it a few times and just get confused. The whole thing is a interesting read, at least to me as I live near the Quachita River. The list of provisions is enlightening.  Danny
North Louisiana

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »
I doubt that the Dr knew exactly how the horn got shattered and did the best he could with the explanation. We are stuck with the account given.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine