Author Topic: How long should I make my barrel?  (Read 12842 times)

Offline Skychief

How long should I make my barrel?
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:35:17 AM »
It's 13/16" straight octagon and currently 42" long.   The rifle I will build will be a dedicated squirrel hunter with some informal match shooting thrown in.

Considering handling qualities, balance and overall weight, let me know how long the barrel would be if it were on your squirrel hunting rifle.

I am not dead set regarding fullstock, halfstock, flintlock or percussion (hopefully this wont turn into an ignition debate!), so just focus on barrel length please.

I am in my early forties and in good shape.   Still, I don't want to lug a 20#, unwieldy squirrel gun over hill and dale.

Friendship is a week away, so, fire away with your thoughts please, as I am buying wood for the gun one way or the other! :D

I always appreciate your thoughts guys.

Thanks, Skychief.

Offline Ezra

Re: How long should I make my barrel?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:15:01 AM »
Impossible to say.  Everyone is different.  Personally, I like long barrels ( > 44").  From a functionality standpoint the differences are statistically insignificant.  I just like the look a long barrel gives the rifle.  If your desire is to have a light, easy rifle to carry around in the woods, I would go with 42" or less.  Just my 2 cents.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Skychief

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:24:54 AM »
Thanks Ezra.

I know my question is subjective.   I look forward to everyone's opinions.....

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:43:26 AM »
38 inches
But then I'm 77
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:33:24 PM by greybeard »

david50

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:55:49 AM »
i like a longer barrel myself. my.32 squirrel rifle has a 44" swamped Rice barrel and she handles great,she is a joy to pack in the woods.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
Skychief, I assume you were exagerating the weight of a long barrelled squirrel rifle!?  I have two 13/16 X .32 cal squirrel rifles. One is 44 inches and weighs right at 9 lbs., the other is 40 1/2 inch and weights 8 1/2 lbs. I really can't tell you which one shoots better but if I were to build another it would be in the 42 to 44 inch range. The longer ones seem to look nicer and 9 lbs. is really not too much to  carry in the woods (at your age). As far as being "unwieldy",  I guess its what you get used to but I have no problem sneaking up on a big red and "barkin" him with a long barrelled gun........Ed
Ed Hamberg

Dave K

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »
I have an original 32 perc. gun with a 41 1/2 barrel. the barrel is slightly swamped with a .895 breech, the mid section is .845 and the muzzle is .935. Yes, it is not a light gun, but it holds well for me and I find it is a delight to hunt with. So for me, it would be at least 40"+ and maybe even 44" because they look so good to me.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:01:14 PM by Dave K »

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
My .32 squirrel rifle has a 13/16" X 38" bl. It's a bit light for target shooting, so I have a steel rod for it, for trail competitions.  If I was hunting with it, I'd use the rifle's hickory rod.

I would say 42" would be perfect for both - good hunting weight and better holding for target shooting.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
I built my cherry stocked .32 with an A profile Rice 44 inch barrel but if I had it to do over I would have used the same barrel in 38 inch. I just like the handling of a 38 inch better. Of course the 44 inch does look good!

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

northmn

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »
For a straight barrel I would go 36-38 inches as they balance better in a slimmer squirrel rifle configuration.  I have seen more than one straight barreled rifle leaded in the butt to get holding qualities in even larger calibers.  My 25 is 36 inches and I do not regret it.  I only shoot offhand at close ranges under 25 yards in the woods.  A large number of my shots are done by leaning against a tree or sitting position or off a stand rail (that's even on deer).  A swamped barrel would be best for longer barrels, but I am developing a prejudice for shorter barrels which on a longrifle site is probably sacrilege.  Still for offhand match shooting a longer barrel may be the ticket.  It depends no use.  I do a lot of sitting while hunting squirrels as they get a bit wild to walk up on and can disappear quick in my dense woods.  They rarely stay in the same tree they go up and can really travel through the tree tops.  One reason I am not so prejudiced against a smoothbore. If one sits in an area until things quiet down they often come back out and offer a good rifle shot.

DP

Offline Skychief

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 01:07:54 AM »
Thanks a lot for the replies guys...taking it all into consideration.  Looking forward to more replies too.

Many thanks, Skychief...

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »
Purpose is everything - if you specify for hunting, you would have to take into account the types of woods you usually hunt in.  In open understory woods, longer barrel length is a real advantage when taking offhand shots at small game.  In our tidewater Virginia forests, the greenbrier and cane can be thick, and a long barrel is a real disadvantage.  My current squirrel rifle has a .32 cal barrel in 13/16" diameter, and is only 35 inches long.  Even that can seem a little long in some areas.

BrownBear

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:33:59 PM »
One very subjective point that will affect your overall happiness is balance.  That's such a personal choice- as well as hard to translate into words- that handling and comparing rifles is about the only solution.  I know exactly the balance I like, but darned if I can put it into words.

I have a GRRW 58 cal Hawken that is perfectly balanced for me.  But with its 36" x 1 1/8" x 1" barrel, it tips the scale at 12 pounds.  I love shooting it, but it's about my last choice for long hunts.  At 8 pounds my 30 cal fullstock (42" x 3/4" barrel) has very similar balance, but somehow reducing the weight by a pound or so while retaining that balance wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least.

In your shoes I'd be inclined to start with a full length stock blank, then inlet the barrel and shape the stock full length before making my decision.  In that way I could make a more informed choice about balance, and trim both barrel and stock as needed to achieve it.  Doing so would certainly influence your style/model choices, but would bring the most happiness in the end.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »
Skychief,
What you are talking about is a very personal thing as it relates to comfort. Balance is one thing, I have barrels from 32" to 48", but weight is a big factor. If you have a Dixie Gun Works catalogue, they have a chart of barrel weights in the back that might help you.
Mark
Mark

Birdhunter

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:03 PM »
Skychief,
The most accurate rifle I ever owned was a Douglas barreled .32,  13/16 X 40" ,    1-66"
twist squirrel killin' machine. It was a a bit muzzle heavy, but that helped steady her.
Curt

Offline Skychief

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 05:31:30 AM »
Birdhunter, can you please tell me the load particulars.   PLEASE. ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »
The 38" barrel is my favorite; not too long & muzzle heavy and not too short for good handling.  Swamped, of course.  36" is second favorite but 38" just hits the right spot.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

willyr

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
Tell you what, just send me that Douglas barrel and I'll buy you whatever barrel you want. I squirrel hunted for many years with a .32 douglas barreled Bedford rifle- 42" , 13/16 barrel. Seriously, If it were me, I would keep it at least 40" long. Yes it will be muzzle heavy, but it will really hang well for offhand shooting and squirrel hunting.
Be Well,
 Bill

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
It's 13/16" straight octagon and currently 42" long.   The rifle I will build will be a dedicated squirrel hunter with some informal match shooting thrown in.

Considering handling qualities, balance and overall weight, let me know how long the barrel would be if it were on your squirrel hunting rifle.

I am not dead set regarding fullstock, halfstock, flintlock or percussion (hopefully this wont turn into an ignition debate!), so just focus on barrel length please.

I am in my early forties and in good shape.   Still, I don't want to lug a 20#, unwieldy squirrel gun over hill and dale.

Friendship is a week away, so, fire away with your thoughts please, as I am buying wood for the gun one way or the other! :D

I always appreciate your thoughts guys.

Thanks, Skychief.

Leave it at least 40".
Ignition is up to you but recommend a patent breech for percussion.

Dan

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
I have had both Douglas barrels in 1-66 and another brand in 1-48 (I think it was a Montana).  I Really saw no difference in the needed charge between the two.  As every barrel is a rule in itself. It does not matter.  A drum works fine as long as one pays attention to how they are installed.  I saw one drum hold when the shooter used 150 grans of 3f in a 54 and the nipple blew out.  I have a 50 with a drum taht has held up under pretty stiff charges.  Most horror stories about drums occur because they were over tightened or someone did a poor job of tapping.  A 32 has adequate wall thickness for one also.  A smaller bore is also heavier.  To me 40" would be max for a 32.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »
I'm with Bill and Dan on this barrel length deal. Straight 13/16" .32 cal. and at 38", is too light for use with a wooden rod- for me, for accurate shooting - for me.  With a solid steel 5/16" rod, it works reasonably well. That means I'd have been better off with a 40" or preferrably a 42" barrel.

I do not believe in running light-weight rifles with subsequent less accuracy potential when I'm shooting live game.  Hitting their little heads is just as important when hunting as it is when target shooting.  Too light in the barrel makes holding well, an irregular feat.

A .32 in 48" twist to 66" twist will most likely need from 30gr. to 45gr. 3F for accuracy shooting past 30yards.

If 30 yards is all you'll be shooting, then 20gr. or even less will likely do as if a tight combination, about any load will stack them at 25 yards - even smoothbores with no rear sight. Shooting small groups at 25 yards is not a measure of anything related to the rifle's potential.

In my 48" twist .32 cal. barrel. 20gr. will nto stay on a squirrel's head at 50 yards when shot off a bench.  35gr. does a wonderful job - to about 80yards.  It might take just a bit more to hold the best grouping at 100 meters, but I load 35gr. regardless and hit most of the 100 yard and further gongs with that load.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »
I have had both Douglas barrels in 1-66 and another brand in 1-48 (I think it was a Montana).  I Really saw no difference in the needed charge between the two.  As every barrel is a rule in itself. It does not matter.  A drum works fine as long as one pays attention to how they are installed.  I saw one drum hold when the shooter used 150 grans of 3f in a 54 and the nipple blew out.  I have a 50 with a drum taht has held up under pretty stiff charges.  Most horror stories about drums occur because they were over tightened or someone did a poor job of tapping.  A 32 has adequate wall thickness for one also.  A smaller bore is also heavier.  To me 40" would be max for a 32.

DP

Pressure  is not the concern.
Its the brittle, cold rolled steel they are invariably made from.
The "slop" built into all modern thread dimensions is also a factor in any threaded part in a ML barrel.

Dan 
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 08:03:28 PM »
There are times when I shoot at game offhand, as in still hunting, but mostly I look for a tree to lean against or something to steady the aim.  A "lightweight"  muzzle loader is not like the "mountain rifles" in modern guns.  They are still fairly robust.  My 36" barreled 25 is much heavier than any 22 I would normally use even with its 3/4 inch barrel.  How many 22's have a 36" 3/4 inch barrel ;D  Barrel thickness and weight is primarily designed to deliver all those pretty little groups target shooters love so much.  A lighter barrel often is just as first shot accurate.  For informal target shooting the heavier weight may be a factor, for game hunting where I may be shooting from a sitting position while I wait for something to show it is not as critical.  I just like something that is a little easier to carry. 

DP

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 02:06:50 AM »
My rat guns with 6-24X scopes all weigh 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 pounds - But, they don't hold nearly as well as I demand my ML's to hold- the rat guns are usually shot off bipods or my quad  - the ML's are shot offhand mosly- they need muzzle weight.

Birdhunter

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
Skychief,
Sorry about the delay. I clicked wrong whn I replied. I have been gone for a week.
My .32 had a 1-66" Douglas barrel. It liked 30gr. Goex 3f , a .010 patch and a .319 ball.  My current .32 has a Colerain 1-48" twist 44" long barrel. ue to the faster twist it is more particular about the powder charge. I shoot 20gr. 3f Goex , .010 patch and a .311 ball. It is accurate but not a accurate as that old slow twist Douglas was.
Curt