Author Topic: Leather preservative  (Read 14117 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Leather preservative
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »
When I worked at a Fine Arts Museum, the chief conservator told me to use Renaissance Wax as it is PH neutral, good for wood, metal and leather.   It was developed by the British Museum specifically for object preservation.  You can buy it at any Woodcraft store.
This wax works good for a final finish on your rifles overall and also all the metal parts including the barrel. Really good good stuff.

I agree!!  even slows down natural aging.... :o :(
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »
I haven't located the book I'm looking for yet but did find a page from a different document that states:

Preservation and restoration of natural leather and other tanned animal hides.
Excludes:  Aquatic and all non-fur-bearing skins/hides unless otherwise directed.

Prepare a mixture consisting of:

1.0 pound anhydrous lanolin
2.0 fluid ounces Cedar oil
1.0 ounce clarified beeswax
20 fluid ounces hexane

(If available for procurement, “British Museum Leather Dressing” may be used.)

Usage-
Apply mixture sparingly with an uncolored lint-free cotton cloth using a rubbing action sufficient to work mixture into the surface but extreme care should be taken to prevent flexing of the leather or damage to the surface.  Article should be maintained in an atmosphere of 65-75°F with a relative humidity of 45-70%.  When possible, article should be suspended in such a manner as to prevent damage or strain while allowing unrestricted airflow to all treated surfaces as best as can safely or effectively be achieved.  Exterior surfaces of treated article should rest a minimum of 60 hours before reapplying treatment.  Interior treated surfaces should rest a minimum of 100 hour before reapplying treatment.  Articles must be allowed to rest for 30 days following the third sequential treatment to prevent saturation, sequential process may repeated as necessary.  Articles must be isolated from general inventory and/or display areas for the duration of the cleaning and treatment process plus a minimum of 10 days to help mitigate contamination or exposure concerns.  Articles shall not be returned to static display cases nor any other display or storage area without positive airflow for a minimum of 30 days following final treatment.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »
Tim....I also use Tandy's Dr Jackson's preservative on my leather. Mink oil also works well. Both can be used to soften leather. My friend Bill Prichard, the Maysville Ky. Riflesmith, purchased a couple of bags from me and asked what he could do to soften up the leather and I recommended Mink Oil. The next time I saw the pouches I couldn't believe the results he achieved. Neatsfoot Oil will rot leather over a period of time, believe me I know first hand.
Regards  Frank

nthe10ring

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »
I have been using  Bee Natural Leathercare  -Mink Oil Creme for years.  Its somewhat different than just mink oil, has bees wax among the ingrediants. I have tried others and they just dont measure up. I have used this on old leathers that are almost starting to get powdery and in moderation this stuff works really well, great for keeping veg tan soft. I have an old tub of this that I have used for many years and am about ready for another, since I bought this it looks as though the price has about doubled but it works great. Use this sparingly as it will darken the leather. Another good all around product from Tandy is their Carnuba Creme.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

Offline TPH

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
................................. Neatsfoot Oil will rot leather over a period of time, believe me I know first hand.
Regards  Frank

Tell us about your experience Frank, it would be interesting to hear. Also, what kind of neatsfoot oil did you use? Pure or compound? If you are trying to soften leather with any preparation it is causing damage due to over application..
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:05:54 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »
Here is a link to some very interesting reading on leather and its care.
http://www.jarnaginco.com/revwarframe.html

Offline TPH

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 11:46:14 PM »
Nate, this link may get them there more easily:

http://www.jarnaginco.com/leather%20preservation%20original.htm

Dave Jarnagin's information is outstanding. Here is his guide to preservation of modern reproduction equipment which will add some good information to that above:

http://www.jarnaginco.com/leather%20care%20article.htm
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:46:32 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern