Author Topic: Barn gun  (Read 7786 times)

JBlk

Barn gun
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »
Recently I purchased at a local auction what I believe to be an original poor boy rifle.I have looked at all of the pictures posted on this site but I have on found one rifle in the unknown section that is similar in appearance.Does anyone know if I can post pictures on this site from the Kodak gallery?The end of the muzzle is in a hexagon shape an appear es to be approximately .38 caliber.I don't see any rifling, but in the center of each flat of the hexagon there appears to be a straight V shaped cut.The trigger assembly is a set trigger that is similar to those that appear to be in the Carolina schools and the lock is percussion with London warranted stamped in its surface.The rear trigger must be set before the lock will engage the sear.The barrel is approximately seven eights of an inch in width  and forty three inches in length.On the left side of the barrel next to the breech plug there appears to be a VvIII.One leg of the small v is the bottom of the first I.The barrel is pined to the stock with three pins and it has two brass pipes and a brass entry pipe.The overall length of the rifle is fifty nine inches with a drop of approximately four and one forth inches with a pull of fourteen inches.The front sight is set in brass with a very low silver blade.The rear sight is what appears to be commonly seen.No grease hole or any inlays or butt plate.The stock has obviously been refinished and has several small cracks in it.The trigger guard is a poorly installed replacement.From the inletting it appears that the original triggerguard was square on the ends.The wood to metal and metal to metal is very good.What would you like to see pictures of?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Barn gun
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Everything!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
You can post from most hosting sites but it is a pain!!  The simplest thing is to upload them from your computer to www.photobucket.com and then follow the tutorial for posting them here  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

or if you want to email them to me I will post them for you. See my profile for my email address.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:10:42 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
James,

Dr. Tim beat me to it.  If you're asking about the Kodak photo management application on your computer, then no, follow Tim's instructions.  If the Kodak gallery you mention is on an on-line photo hosting site then you may be able to copy the IMG link of your photos and paste them here, again, see Tim's instructions.

Oh, and I second Rich's comment!

-Ron
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:17:14 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

JBlk

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »
Thanks for all of your replies.I have never posted any pictures but I will try my best to get some for you .

Offline whitebear

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:38:08 AM »
Rich X 2+
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
Here is one picture from James:

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:20:34 PM »
Any gun with double set triggers is a notch above a barn gun!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike T

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:48:56 AM »
I'd love to see more photos.  Looks good so far.  Thanks,  Mike T.
Mike T

JBlk

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 02:31:59 PM »
I have many more pictures if I can just figure out how to get them all to you.I am Lucky to get this box to work most of the time.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
I have many more pictures if I can just figure out how to get them all to you.I am Lucky to get this box to work most of the time.

I sent you an email with my email address. Just email them to me.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »
More pictures from Jas Black of his gun:

"This rifle also has some marks next to the breech plug that appear to be VvIII but I am unable to get a picture of them.The Daughter of the persons whos estate was being auctioned said that the rifle hung above their basement fire place when she was young and Davey Crockett was the big fad.Who ever made the old girl was a pretty good artist in his wood and metal fitting."

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:24:28 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 04:58:03 AM »
The gun has some details of a Benjamin Sells rifle made along the Ohio River in Brown or Clermont Co., Ohio. Guards with a double rear spur were often used along both sides of the Ohio River in the percussion era. Shelby GAllien

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »
Appears to be a rather nice, plain rifle, but not a barn gun........has too many parts on it for that designation.   Also appears to be refinished, someone removed all the "matina", as one fellow I know calls it.   I have no idea of where it was
made...............Don

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 06:27:45 AM »
There are details on this rifle that look a lot like the work of Samuel Smith, a gunsmith who worked in Astoria, Fulton County, Illinois, from about 1850 -1872. The incised line from the toe to the trigger guard, as well as the rear sight and front sight, all look familiar. The brass base on the front sight, with four punch marks, is identical to those on Samuel Smith rifles. The architecture is very much like Smith's. The trigger guard isn't quite right, but as you said, it is a replacement.  He usually signed his rifles with a script "S S", but not always.  I have one unsigned one and three that are signed.