Author Topic: twist in forend  (Read 2760 times)

Stevenjohnson9851

twist in forend
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:47:03 AM »
I have a precarved stock that has developed some twist in the forend.  What would be the best way to get it out?

Offline bob in the woods

Re: twist in forend
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »
Has it been stored with the barrel in the inlet?  If it's only twisted a little, once carved down to size, mine have conformed to the barrel with out a problem.  If already slimmed down, and now twisted, moisture and heat will make wood pliable.  [ I bend instrument sides to shape on a hot pipe ]

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »
Put the barrel in it and keep it in it except when you have to have it out to work on it or the forestock. Never leave it overnite without the barrel in it...the gremlins work at night :o >:( ;D.....

Little moisture from a damp towel wrapped around it for a day or so while you have an unfinished barrel or a piece of broomstick in the barrel channel will speed the process..... then you can practice getting rust off the outside of the barrel......... actually if you wipe the barrel down with wax or light coat of antirust before..it will be fine......good way to see if your anti rust works!! :D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
I have steamed fore-ends and gently twisted them back (give a bit of "over-twist" for spring-back).

Stevenjohnson9851

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:29:43 AM »
thanks for the replies.