Author Topic: Pulverin with revolver  (Read 6931 times)

Ahtuwisae

Pulverin with revolver
« on: June 09, 2011, 04:30:20 AM »
A couple weeks ago I managed to convince a friend to come over and learn how to build a pulverin to have as an accoutrement to put in a presentation case he was building for his father's original 1851 Colt Cap n Ball revolver.  it is the first time I have taught someone else how to fashion horn but I am very pleased with the result so far.

After a couple of visits and some tedious work, the construction on the pulverin is complete as of Monday night...tonight we started work on the scrimshaw and took some pictures of the pulverin with the original 1851 Colt Navy revolver.  He was a bit nervous to start scratchin' on the horn but after a few tentative lines he went to work.  We chose to use the two Texas schooners for the one side as they fit nicely on the horn.

This is the finished pulverin with the revolver..it is a really nice piece, all matching serials and hardware and original leather holster. Hence my other post on leather preservative...There is a story to go with the revolver and I will share that when the piece is completed.

These are the engraving plates for the cylinder.  the second pic is the one we used for reference.

The scrimshaw...the other side will have something specific for his father and we will do borders on the sides and lastly braid a carry strap
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:47:21 AM by Ahtuwisae »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Pulverin with revolver
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:17:34 AM »
That revolver is certainly not an 1851 Navy model, it's an 1860 Army model. The reinforced cylinder and rounded barrel is a dead giveaway.

And since I am ignorant on what a pulverin is could you please explain?
Psalms 144

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:22:21 AM »
I think it's a 1862 Navy .36 cal.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

tuffy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
The three screws above the trigger guard suggest that it is indeed an 1860 Army model.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:23:07 AM »
Beautiful work and beautiful scrimming ;).  Would you show another side view of the revolver so these kids can seddle there argument ;D?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
 Nice work. Hopefully your friend will get the horn bug from this experience.

Tim C.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
It sure looks like an 1860 Army to me.

FK

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
That revolver is certainly not an 1851 Navy model, it's an 1860 Army model. The reinforced cylinder and rounded barrel is a dead giveaway.

Whoa fellas..I am no gun expert and went by the info i found when looking for the engraving...I am firearm stupid....The fella that owns the firearm will not be interested but since I am, I will try to get more pictures for you.

As for the pulverin.   Not necessarily a period correct match to the weapon but just what the fella wanted to make.   Simply put it is a powder flask, French in origin.  Here is the best definition I can find (from a french dictionary) -  Hope this answers the question.

Pulve'rin - French word for fine black powder also referring to a flask used to carry powder (Former military term. Kit that contained the powder.)
HISTORY -  Sixteenth century - Soubise, who wanted to give the assault began with four sergeants each with fifteen men who made the poullevrin burn, then give him Glandage wisely (D'AUB. Hist. I, 334)

omark

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »
60 army, 44 cal. and is that a pin for a shoulder stock???   offhand i dont remember what the stock mounts to        mark

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:37:36 PM »
   That pin is a screw head that the stock slids onto and also the cut outs on  the lower recoil shields. Civilian models normally had neither. The butt has a catch slot for a clamp screw that is mounted in the butt stock and finger tightened by a knurled round nut on the top. That is an 1860 Army .44.

Offline Collector

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
Beautiful little Pulverin.

It's definitely the Army model.  I'm pretty sure that it was also the first model that Colt introduced the fluted cylinder on.  The reinforced cylinder, on the Army, is the obvious telltale and was required for the powerful .44 in a lightweight frame.  The .44 was standard in the larger framed and heavier Dragoon's and the original Walker.  The Navy model did not have a reinforced cylinder.

Gotta say. when you've been 'bit' by the gun bug... you stay 'bit.'   ;D

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »
It doesn't have a flint , and shoots more than one at a time, though it's kind of a front stuffer, that's all I know about it.  Now that pulverin scrim, it's great.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

omark

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:53 PM »
i hadnt seen the cutout on the recoil shield.  guess i need to call my optometrist.    mark

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 01:28:45 AM »

Whoa fellas..I am no gun expert and went by the info i found when looking for the engraving...I am firearm stupid....The fella that owns the firearm will not be interested but since I am, I will try to get more pictures for you.

As for the pulverin.   Not necessarily a period correct match to the weapon but just what the fella wanted to make.   Simply put it is a powder flask, French in origin.  Here is the best definition I can find (from a french dictionary) -  Hope this answers the question.

Pulve'rin - French word for fine black powder also referring to a flask used to carry powder (Former military term. Kit that contained the powder.)
HISTORY -  Sixteenth century - Soubise, who wanted to give the assault began with four sergeants each with fifteen men who made the poullevrin burn, then give him Glandage wisely (D'AUB. Hist. I, 334)

Thanks for the enlightenment. Learned something today. Please forgive my earlier posting I intended, but forgot, to add the deserved compliment on the fine looking Pulverin. Don't feel too bad, I am a gun nut, but there are many guns I am still firearm stupid about. The 1851, 1860 and 1861 Colts are just my favorite revolvers ever made.
Psalms 144

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 04:09:27 AM »

As for the pulverin.   Not necessarily a period correct match to the weapon but just what the fella wanted to make.   Simply put it is a powder flask, French in origin.  Here is the best definition I can find (from a french dictionary) -  Hope this answers the question.

HISTORY -  Sixteenth century - Soubise, who wanted to give the assault began with four sergeants each with fifteen men who made the poullevrin burn, then give him Glandage wisely (D'AUB. Hist. I, 334)

Thanks for the enlightenment. Learned something today. Please forgive my earlier posting I intended, but forgot, to add the deserved compliment on the fine looking Pulverin. Don't feel too bad, I am a gun nut, but there are many guns I am still firearm stupid about. The 1851, 1860 and 1861 Colts are just my favorite revolvers ever made.

Most welcome...and honestly I did not know hardly anything about  a revolver before I posted this..now I am truly intrigued.  i too have learned a great deal today.  I will post more pics on Monday after he brings the revolver by again.

john

P.S. Thank you for the compliment
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:09:59 AM by Ahtuwisae »