Author Topic: Info on William Miller,II,gunsmith in PA and NC, 1755-1784.  (Read 6235 times)

One Eyed Jack

Request any information possible on a gunsmith who lived in PA and NC.  I  have recently found out that I have an ancestor (William Miller, II,
> (1735-1784) who was born up in York County, PA near Hanover, near the Susquehanna River and that he was
> supposed to have been a gun smith. His father was William Miller, I, and his mother was Olive Miller, both originally from the UK. They arrived in PA about 1700.  I believe William Miller, II, probably practiced his trade
> there between 1755 to 1770. His wife, Sarah Cooper, died in that year and he left PA and went down to NC and settled near
> the Yadkin River narrows.   He enlisted in the Patriot
> forces in 1775. They had 6 or more children who went south with them also.  Do not know of William Miller, II, brothers or sisters he left behind in PA when he went south.  He died  in NC about 1784, but I expect that it's probable that he
> practiced his original trade there in NC sometime in those remaining years.
> I am interested in confirming the gunsmith part of this story and would like
> to get an idea of what school of rifle layout and design that he probably
> followed in his trade, given where he started his life and then ended living there in central NC.
Thank you all for any leads or information anyone can tell me about.
Yours truly,
One Eyed Jack,
Great X5 grandson of William Miller, II

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Info on William Miller,II,gunsmith in PA and NC, 1755-1784.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 05:18:50 AM »
There are three guns made by William G Miller in theUpper Susquehanna style. Know nothing of his history. Perhaps a grandson.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
Interesting - Your ancestor may be a link in understanding the early evolution of some of these North Carolina styles.

As an aside, not sure if there is any relevance to your ancestors or not, but one of the best friends of Daniel and Squire Boone was a Henry Miller, who was living in Augusta County Virginia when the Boone's migrated southward to the Yadkin, and according to Nathan Boone, Miller worked with Squire Boone Sr. as a blacksmith and gunsmith when the Boones tarried in Viriginia on their way south, working alongside Daniel and Squire Jr. (Daniel's brother).  According to Nathan Boone, Miller stayed in Virgnia and had an ironworks operating in Augusta County in 1790.

If I understand correctly, the Narrows your ancestor settled in near were in Rowan County and were near the Trading Ford, and important point along major trade routes across, and migration routes to, Piedmont North  Carolina prior to the Revoultion.  

There were lots of gunsmiths working in the central and western Piedmont NC region by the time your ancestor arrived.  Particularly, at major trade centers, like Salisbury, there were quite a few gunmakers working.  Unfortunately, we don't have any signed dated pieces from that period and area that conclusively give you a solid example to look at, but there are a number of examples in Bill Ivey's book that are attributed to the region and general timeframe and these do exhibit some shared features with Pennsylvania pieces of the era.  Also, there are many later examples of rifles made in Moore, Randolph, Rowan, Davidson and other nearby counties, that surely evolved from and perhaps incorporate elements that were there earlier.  

In addition to places like Salisbury and the Bear Creek area, there was also documented Moravian gunmaking going on in the Wachovia tract, part of which lies in the Yadkin watershed in that period in that timeframe.  The problem is that the earliest signed and datable rifles from the area that I know of, which appear to be 1780s, bear little evidence of the earlier Moravian influences, so one wonders how much influence the very early Moravian North Carolina gunmakers actually had on regional styles, or was their work more of a unique style being made contemporary to and in the midst of more prevalent local styles?

Some of the Kennedy rifles in Bill Ivey's book give a good feel for Pennsylvania influences modifed into a unique North Carolina style.   Like your ancestor, John Alexander Kennedy left Pennsylvania - a bit later though - during the Revolutionary War - and migrated to North Carolina where he and his sons carried on a prolific gunmaking trade in the Piedmont, a bit east of where your ancestor did.  But from what I have read, he initially partnered with a local gunsmith already working in the area and later bought him out.  The earliest Kennedy rifles tend to show some influence of his Pennsylvania roots, but also some elements that were perhaps  already established in North Carolina when he got there.  

So to get back to your original question - I would get a look at Bill Ivey's book or some of Michael Briggs' books and study some of the earliest pieces in there, as well as some of the slightly later confirmed piedmont guns - 1790-ish.  And also study the styles of rifles being made in the area where your ancestor hailed from in PA (look at Shumway's RCA Volume 2) and pick a blending of features.    Some strong Shroyer-esque similarity would probably not be inappropriate as there is evidence that his work, or at least the style that influenced him, had far-reaching impacts on a lot of gunmakers.  Then have fun and blend the styles a bit, but keep toward the earlier elements since your ancestor  died in the 1780s, and based on his age probably had a strong sense of style he brought with him from PA - i.e. less likely for an old dog to learn new tricks - but you also have to consider he would have adapted his work to local preferences to some degree.  

Good luck

Guy
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:23:44 PM by G-Man »

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:06:16 AM »
What an interesting ancestor you have, Jack.  Guy has given you some very good suggestions.  My belief (or speculation) is that when a gunsmith relocated he initially continued to make much the same gun he had in his previous location. But, as he learned the local market and preferences, he often would begin to adapt his style to incorporate those local features.
Wayne Elliott

Bob Pearl

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
Today must be your lucky day. Lisa Minardi is working on the Miller Family from Penn. that settles on the North side of the Yadkin River from Salisbury. Her email is  Lisa Minardi, lminar@winterthur.org. May not be your Millers, but the time line, area and story sound the same. Bob Pearl

One Eyed Jack

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
Excellent suggestions all. I have sent out an email request to the lady who has begun the Miller research and am waiting upon a response from her.  I posted a note on a NC website much earlier asking for someone to confirm or define for me the area historically known as the Yadkin River "narrows". Last input that I got said that the part of the river between Stanly and Montgomery counties had been known as the "narrows".  Looks to me from the highway map that the Yadkin River is pretty long and almost runs across the whole state. Does this statement about what was called "the narrows" match with anyone else's knowledge  of the state's history?  I am not real familiar with NC geography and place names, but I sense some disagreement with the earlier post noting Rowan County. Is that close to this other spot?
Thanks again,
OE Jack

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
There are (or were, before the dams) at least two areas on the Yadkin known locally as the "Narrows" - perhaps if Michael Briggs sees this he might be able to elaborate.  The Narrows near the "Trading Ford" (near Salisbury) was the better known of these as it was where several major paths crossed.  I think a second one was farther downstream in the Uwharrie area.  I do not know if this second one was known as the Narrows in colonial times or not though.  

An early NC attributed rifle in Bill Ivey's book that appears to mix some PA and Piedmont NC characterisics of the era when your ancestor was probably working as a gunsmith in North Carolina (1770s-early 1780s) is No. 29, if you get a chance to take a look.  Also, some of the earlier Kennedy guns, and the attributed Valentine Beck rifle, could give you some ideas.

Guy  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:23:13 PM by G-Man »

One Eyed Jack

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:09:17 AM »
I have seen several references to the published books of Mr. William Ivey and have found a few of his recent works for sale over the internet, but the prices are running pretty close to $100 for a single pictoral book on NC rifles.  Has anyone found these at more reasonable prices anywhere? This seems a bit steep to me even for color pictures.
One Eyed Jack

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
For the latest one anyway, that is the retail price. Small market, small print run costs a great deal of money per book. I know it is expensive...I am saving my pennies....but at that price I am sure he is really not making any money...he will be very lucky to recoop his investment......  We need a foundation to provide grants for publishing these types of works.....  A wealthy foundation!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
I bit the bullet and bought Bill's newest book in October.  It's much more than a picture book, it has a lot of detailed research information on North Carolina rifles as well as some terrific pictures.  The price is a little steep, but the book is well worth having.

FK