General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

Info on William Miller,II,gunsmith in PA and NC, 1755-1784.

<< < (2/2)

One Eyed Jack:
Excellent suggestions all. I have sent out an email request to the lady who has begun the Miller research and am waiting upon a response from her.  I posted a note on a NC website much earlier asking for someone to confirm or define for me the area historically known as the Yadkin River "narrows". Last input that I got said that the part of the river between Stanly and Montgomery counties had been known as the "narrows".  Looks to me from the highway map that the Yadkin River is pretty long and almost runs across the whole state. Does this statement about what was called "the narrows" match with anyone else's knowledge  of the state's history?  I am not real familiar with NC geography and place names, but I sense some disagreement with the earlier post noting Rowan County. Is that close to this other spot?
Thanks again,
OE Jack

G-Man:
There are (or were, before the dams) at least two areas on the Yadkin known locally as the "Narrows" - perhaps if Michael Briggs sees this he might be able to elaborate.  The Narrows near the "Trading Ford" (near Salisbury) was the better known of these as it was where several major paths crossed.  I think a second one was farther downstream in the Uwharrie area.  I do not know if this second one was known as the Narrows in colonial times or not though.  

An early NC attributed rifle in Bill Ivey's book that appears to mix some PA and Piedmont NC characterisics of the era when your ancestor was probably working as a gunsmith in North Carolina (1770s-early 1780s) is No. 29, if you get a chance to take a look.  Also, some of the earlier Kennedy guns, and the attributed Valentine Beck rifle, could give you some ideas.

Guy  

One Eyed Jack:
I have seen several references to the published books of Mr. William Ivey and have found a few of his recent works for sale over the internet, but the prices are running pretty close to $100 for a single pictoral book on NC rifles.  Has anyone found these at more reasonable prices anywhere? This seems a bit steep to me even for color pictures.
One Eyed Jack

Dr. Tim-Boone:
For the latest one anyway, that is the retail price. Small market, small print run costs a great deal of money per book. I know it is expensive...I am saving my pennies....but at that price I am sure he is really not making any money...he will be very lucky to recoop his investment......  We need a foundation to provide grants for publishing these types of works.....  A wealthy foundation!!

Fullstock longrifle:
I bit the bullet and bought Bill's newest book in October.  It's much more than a picture book, it has a lot of detailed research information on North Carolina rifles as well as some terrific pictures.  The price is a little steep, but the book is well worth having.

FK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version