Author Topic: Pitch Question  (Read 3114 times)

Leatherbelly

Pitch Question
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
  How does pitch at the butt affect the handling of a smoothbore? Specifically a "frenchie". Some fusils I've owned have a comb issue,that being ,a hard crack to the cheek on recoil. Will changing the butt pitch affect how recoil is delivered? And how? Thanks in advance,Roy

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Pitch Question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
I can't talk technical on pitch but if when the gun is mounted, the heel contacts the shoulder but the toe does not, when the gun recoils it will slide up the shoulder as it comes back.  This pushes the comb up into the face.  Ouch.
Andover, Vermont

Leatherbelly

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Thanks Daniel,
   Yes I read some of them but am referring to a "fusil" type butt. Verry many seem over pitched to the positive side,that being the heel is cut down more then the toe.   

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »
Thanks Daniel,
   Yes I read some of them but am referring to a "fusil" type butt. Verry many seem over pitched to the positive side,that being the heel is cut down more then the toe.   

Seems to me the pitch of the but will determine how easy a smoothbore/fowler is to shoulder and point quickly......... and to some extent whether or not it wants to slide up or push directly back under recoil. If there is a firm stockweld it will make a diffeence too.....but hey my experience with different pitch and drop is pretty limited.  I am interested to hear from the experts.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Leatherbelly

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:07:10 AM »
Yes Tim, this is why my query.The gun is going to be a 28ga so not worried about straight back recoil. I just don't want it to "jump" so to speak.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:53:12 AM »
I suggest you compare your design to the pitch on a modern stock such as a Remington 1100 shotgun or any other popular target shotgun.  You will find those pitches are designed for more of a straight back push.  Now if you put that pitch on a hockey stick type buttstock it might not work out well.  Need to approximate dimensions of the stock for drop at comb and heel as well.