General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Beginner Bag Building Questions

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chuck Burrows:
In my not so humble opinion  ;) my favorite leather is produced in the good ole USA by Wickett and Craig www.wickett-craig.com. It's  a bit more expensive than some of the imports, but I have NEVER gotten a bad hide from them which can't be said about the imports (FWIW I've been buying leather for 47 years and make my living at it...)
I would recommend their Tooling and Holster leather which comes in both sides (22-24 sq ft approximate) and new to them double shoulders (12-14 sq ft approx) - it comes standard in 8/10 oz but they will split it to whatever thickness you desire at NO extra charge - the great thing about that is you get very clean back since it is split from thicker leather........grade wise - the cheapest is fine quality leather, it just has more range marks and possibly a brand on it - if you plan on aging your bag the range marks just add to the "patina".
Best way to order is give tham a call, the number is on their website........

NSBrown:
Thanks for the help fellas. I'll let you know how it goes.

wwpete52:

--- Quote from: NSBrown on October 30, 2008, 10:35:13 PM ---I just noticed Wally's Elk bag down the board and his bag answers my last question beautifully.

Wally, any advice to someone considering building a bag out of elk hide?

--- End quote ---

I just saw your post. Sure, you can use elk. You could use a harness on the back so the bag will keep it's shape.  I use vegetable tanned, soft cowhide, elk, buffalo, moose, etc...to build bags.  Many like to only use vegetable tanned but I find that the other types of leather are just as good.  Actually, sometimes better because they will expand more. One good thing about vegetable tanned is that you can "age" it fast by using oven cleaner on it before you dye it.  That really doesn't work good on other leathers.  If you have any questions feel free to pm me.  I'll also be happy to give you a call.
Wally

fcguth:
I am glad to say that the pouch shown in the above thread
by jasontn was made for me. A very well made bag at reasonable
price. Fits very well with my Arkansas squirrel rifle.
Fred

b bogart:
Thanks jasontn. I've got some nice pigskin and was wondering about using it for a bag. It's about 4oz. I may try my first bag with this now!
Bruce

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version