Author Topic: Screw thghtness  (Read 6280 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Screw thghtness
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
How tight do you make your lock bolts and tang screw? Really tight will compress the stock and cause lock problems real loose will leave things moving around, and won't seat the lock against the barrel. On a scale of 10, 1 being just touching and 10 being cranked down tight, I think I tend to go about a 7 to 8. Snug but there is still about another turn in there if I push it.

Online T*O*F

Re: Screw thghtness
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »
How tight do you make your lock bolts and tang screw?
I don't use pre-threaded screws.  I make my own from screw blanks which are threaded to exact length.  As such, when installed they are both tight and clocked.  They cannot be over-tightened by some future nimrod thereby compressing the wood and causing problems.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »
How tight do you make your lock bolts and tang screw?
I don't use pre-threaded screws.  I make my own from screw blanks which are threaded to exact length.  As such, when installed they are both tight and clocked.  They cannot be over-tightened by some future nimrod thereby compressing the wood and causing problems.
I like that idea but doesn't that open up the possibility of some nimrod over tightneing the screw/bolt and snapping it off? Just asking.

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:17:53 PM »
I have never had a client who tightened the screws down exactly like I do.  This is most evident on a standing breech tang like a Hawken rifle, where the heads of the screws are set in line with the bore and dressed off flush.

And a lock screw or pair of them should bring the lock's bolster tightly against the barrel's side flat, but that's all.  I like Dave's method, but confess that I don't use it.  However, I often make my own screws from 1/2" and 3/8" steel rod, and run the threads just a little past the minimum length.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »
I like that idea but doesn't that open up the possibility of some nimrod over tightneing the screw/bolt and snapping it off?
That's the whole point.  If he's such a gorilla that he overtightens them with every removal, he will eventually squash the wood and cause problems anyhow.  It takes a lot more to break a screw than it does to squash wood.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »
Hmm I can't make my own screw blanks, but is it possible to buy blanks and then thread them myself as you do??  I like that idea a lot. I even have a hard time determining when tight is tight sometimes.

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »
You need to have a "feel" for tightening screws.  With wood swelling and shrinking, as well as compressing with each tightening I would worry that eventually the lock could become lose if lock screws had a positive stop with the bolster and lock plate.  You cannot make everything "idiot proof".
Dave   

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
Some years back I saw study  of the concept of "snug" regarding a wide variety of mechanical assemblies, and assemblers, mechanics, machinists, and common folks used to common tools.

As it turns out a very high percentage of individuals were able to agree on "snug". 

Lon

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
Tim, I get blanks through TOW for tang and sideplate.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline BJH

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
I use what I call the three fingers method. Only use three fingers on the screw driver. Unless the person has ferosiously strong hands it works fine.  BJH
BJH

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:33:59 AM »
Hardware door hinge pins = screw blanks
For larger ones I kinda like carriage bolts to start with.

If the zinc troubles you, soak them in lye, will dissolve the zinc plate.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 05:38:58 AM »

I use muriatic acid to take off the zinc. Instant results. But it can make fumes.

I make screws but I also use some of the dome head 8x32 and 10x32 that TOW sells. Some are threaded short but I leave a little extra threads. Wood does move. Loose tang screws can effect accuracy.
I used hardware store screws for initial assembly the fit the good screw just before final metal finish.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »

I use muriatic acid to take off the zinc. Instant results. But it can make fumes.

I make screws but I also use some of the dome head 8x32 and 10x32 that TOW sells. Some are threaded short but I leave a little extra threads. Wood does move. Loose tang screws can effect accuracy.
I used hardware store screws for initial assembly the fit the good screw just before final metal finish.

Dan
These 2 methods interest me, how long does it actually take and what do you have to do the screws after the process? Where can you get small quantities of muriatic acid (less than a gallon)? I don't want that much of that stuff around.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »
Yes, I could make my own screws, but, why?    There are guys out there like Owen Collins that do a great job of it.  I
would rather spend my time rasping on a stock.  As for tightness of those lock bolts....snug.    Not too loose, nor not too
tight.........does that describe it?................Don

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
Zinc removal takes seconds with muriatic/hdrochloric or nitric .
Internet chemical suppliers can furnish small quantities.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »
Yes, I could make my own screws, but, why?    There are guys out there like Owen Collins that do a great job of it.  I
would rather spend my time rasping on a stock.  As for tightness of those lock bolts....snug.    Not too loose, nor not too
tight.........does that describe it?................Don

Sometimes I make stuff that the standard screws don't fit.

Dan

Offline kutter

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 01:11:42 AM »
I've seen small (1 quart size) plastic bottles of muriatic acid sold in home improvement stores. In the section where masons supplys are sold,,cement, morter, trowels etc. Used for cleaning bricks and other surfaces.

Also if a friend or neighbor has a swimming pool,,they most likely have some on hand. Used for cleaning and adj. the water Ph so I'm told.
I ended up with a gallon that way when a neighbors above ground pool got tossed,,but maybe you can trade a beer for a small bottle of muriatic..

I usually just hit a zinc or cad plated screw with the propane torch and the plating burns right off in a few seconds. A quick wire wheel brushing and it's ready to go.
Acid or torch,,stay away from the fumes.

I just 'snug' them up to tighten them. Repeatedly removing and then reinstalling once perfectly timed screws will lead to them not being perfectly timed anymore.
One way to somewhat avoid the problem is to overtighten the initial fit. The repeated tightenings allow for still snug fitting with timed slots.
Most Best quality Brit shotguns have shouldered tang screws that leave the head timed perfectly. But part of the reason for the shouldered design is to make sure the spacing of the upper & lower tangs remains constant to avoid trigger and safety problems. When wood shrinks or compresses on these, shims are often found under the tangs to tighten the assembly up.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 04:14:15 AM »
Micah,

For removing plating from screws I use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner.  Do this outside.  Pour just enough to cover the screws in a plastic cup, wait a few minutes, rinse well with water. 

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie