Author Topic: Home-made AF  (Read 3890 times)

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
Home-made AF
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
I just made another batch of AF and was wondering if everybody else's solution comes out a "rusty" muddy brown color?  It appears to not affect the stock wood when applied, just wondering if there is a way to get a cleaner "looking"  product.

Brett.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Home-made AF
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »
The mud should precipitate out of the solution over time.  It can then be decanted into a new container if desired.  Alternatively, if the reaction is complete and all the acid is used up you can run it thru a coffee filter.  The reaction occurs under heat which results in a supersaturated solution and solids will drop out of solution as it cools.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

M.D.H.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »
Brett,
I have had that result when not controlling reaction temperature or having too fast of a reaction.  When applied to wood, there seems to be a sight "hazy" look to the curl and not as sharp / crisp looking as clear mixtures have yielded. 
My suggestion is to try another batch and control your temp better by slowing your process down. The best resource for this is Bill Mende's book on 1800's stains and dyes.  It's a great resource and so is Bill.
MDH

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 05:37:36 AM »
I just made another batch of AF and was wondering if everybody else's solution comes out a "rusty" muddy brown color?  It appears to not affect the stock wood when applied, just wondering if there is a way to get a cleaner "looking"  product.

Brett.

Let it settle out.
I got some sludge in the last batch I made. Just let it settle and the  "clean" stain should be fine.

I think I added too much metal at once and this may have produced to much heat?
it was a pretty large batch and only the last stuff poured out  had the sludge.
Making too large a batch might have contributed to the sludge??

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
Sludge in the stain.

Dan

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:28:31 AM »
Dan, I don't have any AF, but I do have Ferric Nitrate crystals.  But there is no comparison to the colour of your stain, and mine.  Mine is a saturated solution and is quite orange, and imparts that colour to the maple.  I'm looking for that illusive red/brown, and sharp curl contrast.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:01:04 AM »
Dan, I don't have any AF, but I do have Ferric Nitrate crystals.  But there is no comparison to the colour of your stain, and mine.  Mine is a saturated solution and is quite orange, and imparts that colour to the maple.  I'm looking for that illusive red/brown, and sharp curl contrast.

One of our Guild members did a comprehensive test with AF and Ferric Nitrate and the colors came out identical on the same pieces of wood.
To me this makes making stain with acid unnecessary.
I do it since I have nitric, if I didn't I doubt I would bother.
I have made AF with iron from chips milled from an old wagon tire and modern finishing nails and with steel wool there is no difference in color that I can detect.
Though the last stain I made seemed to work a better if the acid was not completely depleted. Why I could not say given other tests ? Maybe I goofed with the test pieces ?

Dan

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »

That is what I get the very orange color.