Author Topic: Ballistol question  (Read 7502 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Ballistol question
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »
I bought a can of Ballistol more on impulse than any other reason. Thier advertising states that it's good for "everything" short of and maybe to include bar-b-que sauce.

I think the thing that's throwing me is that it's water soluable. Does water soluable mean it contains water? I've had this can for at least 6 months and keep looking at it but always go to my old tried and true methods. I know many must use it, could you post some reviews and actual uses that you have tried successfuly.  ???
Micah

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Ballistol question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
I use it alot.  In the bore; but not in the lock.  It gets a bit gummy after a time.

Offline Rich

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
It's all I use in the bore. After shooting, Ballistol mixed with water makes a good bore cleaning solvent. After the bore is clean and dry, I lube with straight Ballistol. When mixed with water, Ballistol turns milky white. It's a good indicator if the bore is dry. I don't think it comes with any water in it. I also wipe down the flint leathers with it.

peterw

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
Does water soluable mean it contains water?
No. But you can add water and make good moose milk - 1/5 -1/7 ballistol/water. It works very good in barrels with narrow lands. I use this mixture for fast cleaning - no rust problem.
ps. Rich was first
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:20:45 PM by peterw »

Offline trentOH

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:19:54 AM »
It's great stuff for lubing patches, and cleaning and oiling the barrel afterwards.

I can't speak to it's use as BBQ sauce, but it gives pickles a distinctive flavor when stored in it. You can replace the liquid in a compass with it, but it's so slick that the needle swings more than it used to.
It's not so good as a substitute as blood plasma. Makes you dream in German.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:33:35 AM »
What's in it ?

blunderbuss

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:45:40 AM »
I like it, cures warts too

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 06:32:40 AM »
I have used it for about 8 years now.  Mixed 5/1 water as cleaning solution and range patch lube.  Undiluted for bore  and other metal protection except I do use another product on the lock itself.  Wiping the stock with it at times as well.  It does smell like rotten sneakers  up close though. 

54Bucks

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:42:57 AM »
 water soluable means it's able to be disolved in water, which means it's not petroleum based

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »
water soluable means it's able to be disolved in water, which means it's not petroleum based

Not really....it just means it will dissolve in water and stay in suspension for a while..... Among other things it has mineral oil in it......if I am not mistaken that is petroleum.

I love the stuff.. best rust inhibitor out there!!!  LOOK HERE:  http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments.html
Which Muzzle-loading Lubricants/Lubes Have Good Anti-corrosion Properties? and
Which Other Muzzle-loading Lubricants/Lubes Have Good Anti-corrosion Properties?

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:55:12 AM »

I love the stuff.. best rust inhibitor out there!!!  LOOK HERE:  http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments.html
Which Muzzle-loading Lubricants/Lubes Have Good Anti-corrosion Properties? and
Which Other Muzzle-loading Lubricants/Lubes Have Good Anti-corrosion Properties?

I appreciate the info, and am thoroughly impressed. I guess I'll start using it.

54Bucks

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 04:13:35 AM »
 Actually Ballistol is not water soluable. It will emulsify with water who choose to do so for a patch lube.

Offline Dan

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:39:21 AM »
It's great stuff for lubing patches, and cleaning and oiling the barrel afterwards.

I can't speak to it's use as BBQ sauce, but it gives pickles a distinctive flavor when stored in it. You can replace the liquid in a compass with it, but it's so slick that the needle swings more than it used to.
It's not so good as a substitute as blood plasma. Makes you dream in German.

Ach!

;D

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 05:23:18 AM »
  Wiping the stock with it at times as well.  It does smell like rotten sneakers  up close though. 

Just what I really don't want on the cheek piece.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
Some people like the smell of old sneakers........... :D :D ;D ::)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming