Author Topic: need patent breech  (Read 3619 times)

caliber45

need patent breech
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »
Anybody know of a source for a hooked (patent?) breech for a 3/4ths-inch octagonal barrel? -- paulallen, tucson az

Offline smylee grouch

Re: need patent breech
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:00:00 AM »
You might try Dennis McCandless in Las Cruces, NM. I'msure he could make one for you.   575-382-1978

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 04:14:54 PM »
Your question is a bit too general.  There are many different configurations: flint or percussion, type of lock, etc.  You should make your request to include all specifics you are looking for.

Having said that, your best bet is to find one in 13/16's and file it down.  I went thru a similar search several years back and was unable to find one in 3/4.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »
Anybody know of a source for a hooked (patent?) breech for a 3/4ths-inch octagonal barrel? -- paulallen, tucson az

As TOF stated file down a 13/16 breech. Only .032 per side larger than 3/4"

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

caliber45

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »
Guys -- Sorry for being non-specific. I need a caplock patent breech (to avoid needing a drum) to build a slim Hawken-style rifle, in .40 caliber. I would be thrilled to find a 13/16ths patent breech for that style of rifle; could easily file away the "not-needed" metal. Where would I find one of those? I can't afford to have someone "custom build" one for me. Tks! -- paulallen, tucson az

Offline whitebear

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:44:43 AM »
Track of the wolf has several to choose from.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:53:02 AM »
Track of the wolf has several to choose from.
Really??  Please share part numbers and availability with us.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:06:03 AM »
Guys -- Sorry for being non-specific. I need a caplock patent breech (to avoid needing a drum) to build a slim Hawken-style rifle, in .40 caliber. I would be thrilled to find a 13/16ths patent breech for that style of rifle; could easily file away the "not-needed" metal. Where would I find one of those? I can't afford to have someone "custom build" one for me. Tks! -- paulallen, tucson az

When you embark on one off special projects that are far outside typical it becomes necessary to make parts.
So you have to plan to project for what is available rather than what you want as "ideal".

IIRC you are making kids rifles. In this case I would go with a breech I could obtain and then shorten or taper or swamp the barrel to reduce the weight.
You will have to re-think the project or have a breech made.
If you make the rifle too small the youngster will out grow it in nothing flat anyway.
To be honest most moderns want their MLs too light anyway.
The rifle I built for my 12 year old son was a 7/8 x45x 36" and I stocked it at 13".  H e is a grown man serving with the Marines and even now only weighs 136-140 pounds. He was not a large 12 year old but could shoot the rifle well. I can still shoot it, its short but still useable.
It could have been lighter and shorter in the pull to be a perfect fit. But in a very short time it would have been pretty useless.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine