Author Topic: Big game hunting stories  (Read 5539 times)

blunderbuss

Big game hunting stories
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:21:38 AM »
With all those hunters out there how about some deer,hog, elk, moose  hunting stories. Where did you hit them? Did you have to track them? What load, temperature. I mean look guys it's off season and the best we can do is read about it so humor us here. 

BrownBear

Re: Big game hunting stories
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:36:44 AM »
How 'bout this, my most memorable elk hunt:

We were tracking a herd of Roosevelts in thick timber higher and higher toward timberline on Afognak Island near Kodiak, aided by the first skiff of snow of the year that had fallen the night before.  We KNEW the tracks were fresh, and no doubt about it.

Late in the morning the tracks approached a ridge line, and knowing the crest was bare rock with dense alders on the back side the four of us split into pairs, circling to come at the crest from either side.  But before my partner and I reached the edge of the trees we heard two shots.  Oh shucks, we were too late.  Or words to that effect.

As we stood there in disappointment we heard distant thunder growing louder.  Just as we realized it was flying hooves and the herd had spooked toward us, a river of dark bodies burst into the timber right on top of us, passing so close a 32" barrel was too long to raise into position even if it had occurred to us as we did our best not to be overrun.  The elk were parting just uphill on either side of a large spruce tree an arms length away.  My partner and I instinctively huddled closer to it for protection, whether we got shots or not.

Just as it occurred to us the stampede was thinning, two stragglers appeared and we both raise our rifles, pointed and fired.  No swing to it when elk hair is less than a barrel length from the muzzle.  He was shooting an 06 and I was shooting a 54 cal Lyman GPR.  Both animals (mine a rag horn and his a large cow) collapsed and rolled at the shots, but in my minds eye I could swear I saw flames from my muzzle on hair, even if I couldn't find any char later.

But wait, there's more!  It turns out our pards were successful too.  So there we were, four rough miles from the boat in dense brown bear country with 4 Roosevelt elk down.  Need I point out that they're lots larger than Rocky Mountain elk?  It was well past midnight before we boned all that meat and packed it a half mile to a grove of spruce in a meadow downhill, where we hoisted each bag at least 20 feet of the ground.  There was no question the brown bears would be on the kill site before the next day passed, but we judged half a mile of clearance was enough to save the meat.

It was early December with around 5 hours of daylight, so all we could manage was a single round trip to the meat cache per day.  Four elk x five 100 pound packs each divided by four guys meant 5 days of packing, each day approaching the cache on high alert for bears.  It turned out we had picked a neat cache, because we could circle that 5 acre grove of spruce and check all around for bear tracks pointed inwards.

It was about day 3 and I was carrying my 375 H&H in the certainty that bear issues were ever more likely.  I had reached the bottom of the grove when we all hollered back and forth to confirm no bear tracks, so I shouldered the rifle and headed up the little draw through the grove to the cache.

Just as I could see the hanging bags and was rounding the last turn to reach the base of the tree, I almost plowed into this big expanse of dark brown fur right at waist height.  Ah man, pass the Preparation H.

It took only a second or two to recognize it was elk hide rather than bear, but it cost me a year of life I'm sure.  It turns out one of the pards decided he wanted a hide, so the night before he trekked up to the kill site and collected one, draping it over a log right at the base of the cache tree to drain and dry a little before packing it out.  And of course, not telling anyone.  I doubt either of us could reconstruct the language I used, but both remember clearly the tone of my remarks as I pointed out the errors in his ways.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:42:28 AM by BrownBear »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »
BB,
Hope you had extra shorts with you on that hunt!!
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »
Good story, Brown Bear.

Certainly tops my buddy's experience with a grizzly nocking his pillow out from under his head one night while he was sleeping. Bear was outside his tent, walking along bumping the side at every swaying step.  His butt hit Keith's head through the tent - woke him up - quickly.

Or the two friends who used to hunt elk with their bows. Len called in 5 - not 1, 2, 3, or 4, but 5 adult grizzlies with his elk bugle - they came in at the run, on 5 different paths, stopping in a bunch, right in front of Dave, who was in line to shoot, about 20feet ahead of Len, who was hidden and couldn't see, thinking they's been elk. Both were sitting in/on their tree stands, which were attached to trunks so their feet were on the ground - both were armed with their long bows - only.  Standing on all 4's, they towered over Dave, who is a 400 pounder, himself. One stood up and woofed at Dave, then they dropped down, and together, ran past Len, within bow touch.  Dave said he needed a change afterwards. Len admitted to nothing, but doesn't hunt with a bow around here, any more.

Bears have a way of making things 'tense', don't they.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:26:46 PM »
I was out deer hunting, sitting with my back against a tree on my property behind the house . I had stomped, and rattled etc, and then sat down. After about 10 min or so, I happened to see out of the corner of my eye, a bear was stalking me. [black bear ]
He was coming in in a crouch, head down , from behind and to my right. I turned and pointed my flintlock at him, and yelled. He stopped and looked at me, woofed and then left.  I left too, and came back with my Bess. I saw where he had circled again and comeback. If you've ever fallen asleep on your stand, maybe this story will motivate you to be more watchful !

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
My favorite hunt story is not about the animals.  My father, three adult cousins (all veterans of WW II) were deer hunting in Northern PA.  I was 14 at the time and was getting pretty roughed up by the teasing (as usual) by these guys as camp entertainment.  The first morning opened with dense fog, followed by one of those snow storms which settles as large flakes putting down about an inch an hour.  As I was moving around to a new stand mid morning I spotted the main tormentor sound asleep on a tree stump, an activity for which he was famous.  I came up behind him, lifted his rifle from the resting place against he side of the tree and brushed out my tracks as best I could with a pine bough.  Back in camp I clued in his brothers who of course were glad to have someone else to harass.  In about an hour the victim returned to camp and obviously quite agitated.  The others asked him what was going on but he wouldn't respond for about 20 minutes before finally admitting he couldn't find his rifle which he was sure he had taken to his stump and there were no tracks that anyone had stolen it.  He looked all around the camp, finally spotting the rifle leaning against a tree where he knew he hadn't put it.  He had no doubt about the perpetrator and came for me but lacked the agility to catch me. Took about half an hour before he could appreciate the joke on him and calmed down so I could return to the fire.   Story got told around our camps for several years with ever greater details about the obvious anguish on his face.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:16:46 PM by Jerry V Lape »

blunderbuss

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »
How 'bout this, my most memorable elk hunt:

We were tracking a herd of Roosevelts in thick timber higher and higher toward timberline on Afognak Island near Kodiak, aided by the first skiff of snow of the year that had fallen the night before.  We KNEW the tracks were fresh, and no doubt about it.

Late in the morning the tracks approached a ridge line, and knowing the crest was bare rock with dense alders on the back side the four of us split into pairs, circling to come at the crest from either side.  But before my partner and I reached the edge of the trees we heard two shots.  Oh shucks, we were too late.  Or words to that effect.

As we stood there in disappointment we heard distant thunder growing louder.  Just as we realized it was flying hooves and the herd had spooked toward us, a river of dark bodies burst into the timber right on top of us, passing so close a 32" barrel was too long to raise into position even if it had occurred to us as we did our best not to be overrun.  The elk were parting just uphill on either side of a large spruce tree an arms length away.  My partner and I instinctively huddled closer to it for protection, whether we got shots or not.

Just as it occurred to us the stampede was thinning, two stragglers appeared and we both raise our rifles, pointed and fired.  No swing to it when elk hair is less than a barrel length from the muzzle.  He was shooting an 06 and I was shooting a 54 cal Lyman GPR.  Both animals (mine a rag horn and his a large cow) collapsed and rolled at the shots, but in my minds eye I could swear I saw flames from my muzzle on hair, even if I couldn't find any char later.

But wait, there's more!  It turns out our pards were successful too.  So there we were, four rough miles from the boat in dense brown bear country with 4 Roosevelt elk down.  Need I point out that they're lots larger than Rocky Mountain elk?  It was well past midnight before we boned all that meat and packed it a half mile to a grove of spruce in a meadow downhill, where we hoisted each bag at least 20 feet of the ground.  There was no question the brown bears would be on the kill site before the next day passed, but we judged half a mile of clearance was enough to save the meat.

It was early December with around 5 hours of daylight, so all we could manage was a single round trip to the meat cache per day.  Four elk x five 100 pound packs each divided by four guys meant 5 days of packing, each day approaching the cache on high alert for bears.  It turned out we had picked a neat cache, because we could circle that 5 acre grove of spruce and check all around for bear tracks pointed inwards.

It was about day 3 and I was carrying my 375 H&H in the certainty that bear issues were ever more likely.  I had reached the bottom of the grove when we all hollered back and forth to confirm no bear tracks, so I shouldered the rifle and headed up the little draw through the grove to the cache.

Just as I could see the hanging bags and was rounding the last turn to reach the base of the tree, I almost plowed into this big expanse of dark brown fur right at waist height.  Ah man, pass the Preparation H.

It took only a second or two to recognize it was elk hide rather than bear, but it cost me a year of life I'm sure.  It turns out one of the pards decided he wanted a hide, so the night before he trekked up to the kill site and collected one, draping it over a log right at the base of the cache tree to drain and dry a little before packing it out.  And of course, not telling anyone.  I doubt either of us could reconstruct the language I used, but both remember clearly the tone of my remarks as I pointed out the errors in his ways.   ;D

Sounds like you need a bayonet

blunderbuss

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:28:42 PM »
I was out hunting with my .54 Jaeger and was standing in the woods near a large oat patch probally 800 yards long by 400 and about 100 yards out on the patch was a large doe .The wind was cold and blowing directly in my face as I would raise the gun to fire my eyes would tear up and I'd have to wipe them this happened about three times so I was getting alittle frustrated. finally I decided to shoot and it coming on twilight I needed to take a neck shot so I eather dropped her in her tracks or missed. I don't favor tracking after dark. Well I shot and she hit the ground like a sack of rocks. I waited about 15 min by then it was pretty dark and I took out my light and went to see about her. My friend had heard me shoot and waited 15 min and came to help me.I did a field dress on her and we put her in the truck. On the way back to camp my friend ask "where did you hit her" I said I didn't know we'll find out when we get to camp Well we couldn't find a hole any where so I decided to skin her . We tied her by the neck and skinned her taking off every thing from the neck down. Still no bullet hole,no kidding . Well we were about stumped when one of the guys said look and he stuck a ramrod in one ear and out the other. Sure nuff the ball had gone in one ear and out the other and never cut hide. True story

northmn

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
Most talk about their success.  I got a fork horn buck one time when I shot at a doe with my flintlock.  I got down off the tree stand and looked for blood and found none.  While looking I heard grunting coming my way and saw the buck coming following the trail of the doe.  I had not loaded my 58 flintler but was carrying a 36 C&B revolver.  When the buck came around the oak tree I shot him with that pistol at about 10 feet.  He was facing me and the shot entered between the shoulder blades.  The little round ball went through a surprising amount of deer and  I tracked him for maybe 60 yards and found him laying strecthed out.  Never did find any blood trail on the doe.
Another time I was still hunting with my percussion 58 and jumped a nice eating deer in a clearing.  I took a quick aim and saw a small sapling slowly fall over between me and the deer.  The deer ran a little ways and looked back kind of puzzled about all the noise.  When I started to pull out the ramrod to reload it took off, tail up in that sort of a flaunting casual bound they have when you miss clean.  It was the only sapling between the deer and where I was standing.  I maybe could have hit it that squarely by purposely aiming at it, but I wonder.

DP

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 11:44:28 PM »
So there I was, waiting for this elk to materealize out of the fog, hunkered down and ready to shoot if I could see him. He finaly got close enough to see and I raised my 58 Flinter to take the shot. Was I ever surprised when I looked down the barrel and all I could see was the tumble weed stuck on the barrel. I did get it raked off and took the shot but got the longest hang fire I've ever had and ended up with a nice hand full of brisket hair.

hoochiepapa

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 12:29:35 AM »
My dad, brother-in-law and I were hunting elk. We sat my dad at some old glacial ponds and told him we would start at the bottom of the canyon and work our way up to him, hoping to shag some elk. It was VERY steep, so we could only move a little ways at a time before we had to take a break. We got about half way up the hill, and stopped to rest by sitting on a log. My b-i-l bent over, picked up an elk #$@*, and asked, "you know how to tell if these are really fresh?" I said, "No, how?" And he bit it in half, and it being old and dried out, and said, "No, not this one." I laughed so hard I was tearing up. So we kept moving up the hill, and about a half hour later, he bent over and picked up another elk #$@*, and said, "Your turn!", handing it to me. He was a lot of laughs.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
Okay,
My buddy and I were seated on stools on a friends property waiting for does to come along in the late ML season.  Two doe trotted up to a big tree about twenty five yards away.  I pulled up my flinter yeager and fired.  Both does just did an end for end and left without the slightest indication of being hit.  I knew I had a good aim and the gun fired as instantly as a flinter can, no actual perception of delay.  My buddy stood up and fired at the running doe, an knew he had missed.  He commenced to jawing on me about always shooting before he gets a chance to be ready.
Puzzled I walked back and forth a couple of times looking for any indication of a hit or explanation of the miss.  About the third pass I saw a dry tree about three quarters inch thick which had grown at a 45 degree angle from the ground.  It had a chunk taken out of the underside of it just the size of half my .54 ball.  That is all it takes.  The little tree was halfway to the doe.  Plenty of time to deflect it below the body of the deer.  It must have gone just behind or in front of her right front leg because there were no plow marks in the ground.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

blunderbuss

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 02:04:26 AM »
I was hunting up around Austin Texas years ago and rode up there with a friend. It was  cold when we got there so I left my .54 Jaeger in the truck and took my pouch and horn inside the hunting cabin. It being my first hunt here I didn't know some of the fellows and one fellow was looking at my horn intently. This was early in the muzzle loading days ( pre Jeremiah Johnson movie)- so few people knew about ML. He never said anything until about the second day when he ask "if you hit a deer with that would it kill it" Yes I think it would I said. Well that afternoon I downed a nice buck I put the buck in the truck and went to pick up the other hunters without saying anything to them about the buck.
When we got back the old fellow started in on me about shooting a deer with that old gun. Well he always drank coffee out of an old large porcelain cup .I told him that I would buy him a case of anykind of coffee he wanted(if I missed) if I could have a shot at his cup hanging from that tree over yonder. Well off he went like a peacock ( he was being a real smart a&& by then) picking up a piece of bailing wire on the way to tie the cup up. He tied the cup to a limb and gave it a little push so it was swinging some and as it was coming on dark the cup was shining like a diamond in a goats b***. The distance was about 40 yards, when the smoke cleared only the handle was attached to the wire. While he was standing there with his mouth open I ask him to step over to the truck, I had something I wanted to show him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:33:49 PM by blunderbuss »