Author Topic: Chamber's oil finish on claro walnut  (Read 3152 times)

Offline rick landes

Chamber's oil finish on claro walnut
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
I am mentoring a retired cabinet maker on restocking a rifle. He has done an amazing job but he has ran into a problem. I have yet to see the stock but wanted to run the situation past all of you.

He told me the stock finish appears to be glossy and then in another area somewhat dry and flat. I am thinking the finish is not being applied evenly.

My second guess is some residue was left on the wood prior to the sealing coat.

I will probably wipe it all down with lacquer thinner and restart the finishing.

I have not had problems before like this so am open to any suggestions...
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
Re: Chamber's oil finish on claro walnut
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
If it is the newer finish that they sell it is a satin and you need to shake the can up real good before you put it on.If you put too heavy coat on it will come out glossy,so it needs to be even and micro thin.The best way that I have found to apply it is to just dab little dots in a small area at a time rubbing it with my finger tips until it starts to feel tacky,and then stretch it evenly with the palm of my hand.I also keep a small 1/4" artists brush handy with the bristles cut down until they are about 3/16" long to take any finish out of the carving and moldings so that it dosen`t build up and become glossy.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:26:13 AM »
Chambers oil finish is a build up finish, in the wood, not on it. 

Follow the directions, and you'll get great results.

First coat, slather on and continue to apply to "dry" areas.  Let sit a few minutes, and rub all the excess off.  Don't let it dray as is.  Wipe it off.  Allow it to dry over night, and repeat as needed.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »
I am mentoring a retired cabinet maker on restocking a rifle. He has done an amazing job but he has ran into a problem. I have yet to see the stock but wanted to run the situation past all of you.

He told me the stock finish appears to be glossy and then in another area somewhat dry and flat. I am thinking the finish is not being applied evenly.

My second guess is some residue was left on the wood prior to the sealing coat.

I will probably wipe it all down with lacquer thinner and restart the finishing.

I have not had problems before like this so am open to any suggestions...

It probably was not oiled properly initially and the "dry" areas just need more finish.
I don't know what "residue" would cause this.
I never apply the first coat evenly I put it on heavy where it needs it and not so heavy where it does not soak up as much. When it appears to stop soaking up oil I wipe it dry and give it a day.
Hopefully he didn't use varathane.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rick landes

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
I know he used the Chambers oil finish as I had it sent with an order for some items I bought.

I apply it the way Jim told me he did (which is quite consistnet with the feedback) and showed the same method as correct for the walnut.

I am believing it is a matter of not enough of an initial coating to seal the wood and then a bit of too much spreading of followup coats.

God help us if Varathane was substituted :'(
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson