Author Topic: making teflon patches  (Read 8392 times)

delmarskid1

making teflon patches
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:38:41 AM »
  Can I find anything to make teflon treated material with? I see teflon lubricants are available.

Daryl

Re: making teflon patches
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
All you can do is to try them - someone has to be the first - or 100th.  Burning teflon is supposed to be bad for the health.

The teflon patching I saw, appeared to have a "teflon - (I assume)" product sprayed or wiped on normal 10oz, denim cloth, then left to dry or harden into a skin-like coating.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:23:58 AM »
Del,
Get a listing for "The Minutemen" up in the Akron/Canton area, they make and sell the stuff. From what I have heard you don't want to mess with it.
Mark
Mark

westerner

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:49:26 AM »
It causes warts on your hands. Then you pet your dog and he gets warts. Once your dog has warts everything within a half mile has warts on it.  There are some things man shouldnt mess with. Teflon is just one.  Warts can be hard to get rid of. 

Joe.

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
I was once told that the teflon will build up in your barrel and screw up your accuracy, I don't know how true it is, but was told to stay away from it.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
Teflon coated patching is widely used in the National shoots by round ball bench, cross sticks, and off hand shooters.

Regards,
PLetch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »
Nasssty wartezz;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »
Teflon coated patching is widely used in the National shoots by round ball bench, cross sticks, and off hand shooters.

Regards,
PLetch
Shoots a tighter group than anything else I have used in any of my rifles; but you must wipe the bore each shot (or if old and lazy every third one) :)

Harnic

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
Any accuracy advantage Teflon patches may give would be totally negated by my fading eyesight.  I'll stick with Hoppes #9+, it works great & I only wipe the bore at the end of the day, loading keeps the bore clean.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
I second Harnic!!
Mark
Mark

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
I have used Teflon patches for about three years now in some of my rifles and does work great and have yet to find any warts. I know alot of other shooters who use the stuff also and have had heard nothing but good to say about the performance of the stuff. I have been told that the stuff can cause problems if not handled properly, as in try not to injest any when you break for lunch, etc. Drinking, smokeing, too much fatty food, and a host of other things will give you problems too so caution and care in use might be the by word with using teflon.    Smylee

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 07:35:43 PM »
Are those warts sort of like the going blind thing you were cautioned against as a kid? 

Offline Maven

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:16:56 PM »
Here a source for teflon impregnated ticking in case you want to test the wart hypothesis:
http://www.nmlra.org/classifieds.asp?ID=45 ;)
Paul W. Brasky

Harnic

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 01:12:13 AM »
I'd be more concerned about cancer down the road rather than warts.  Teflon is a toxic substance AND not very historically correct!  ;)  Sounds like something the inline shooters would use!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:12:55 AM by Harnic »

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 02:10:27 AM »
I am with Harnic on this one .
My understanding is that the teflon used is ''full of bad things ...make Tarzan sick''.
Despite the  number of excellent shooters who use this for patch and have nothing but good things to say.
Luckily since I shoot standing up and can't see I'll never know the difference .

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »
I'd be more concerned about cancer down the road rather than warts.  Teflon is a toxic substance AND not very historically correct!  ;)  Sounds like something the inline shooters would use!  ;D

Inline shooters don't shoot patched round balls, so they don't use teflon.  The heavy bench gun shooters likely shoot up most of the stuff.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
I have made it and sold it many years ago. It is a food grade stuff. Great for patching. Just don't try to
make it at home unless you know what you are doing.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 01:30:01 PM »
Works GREAT. I get some real nice tight groups with the stuff outta my .50 Green Mtn. bbl.
That said....it was fun to try, tougher to load multiple shots, and "felt wrong"....so I didn't get anymore.
That's just me.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
Frizzen< Can you tell us more about the food grade teflon you speak of. Like do all of the other supplyers us food grade? How we can tell if it is food grade on the material if we should buy some, or any such info that you can give us on the subject.  Thanks   Smylee