Author Topic: another hawken problem  (Read 2787 times)

Offline dave gross

another hawken problem
« on: November 01, 2008, 04:49:16 AM »
Today I took the Hawken lock apart to give it a good clean and lube job...sure enough inside the hammer was marked "ROLLER 77" so that is confirmation of its source.  Then took all the parts and laid them out to see if I could draw a rough plan for this rifle.  The 1 1/8"barrel plus the 7/16" ramrod are going to make the forestock deeper than I had hoped but that is the way it will be.  The only real problem is that the trigger assembly is not correctly sized.  The trigger bar is ok in length and width but the trigger bars are nearly 1/4" too short.  Bending the sear bar is out of the question and the price of a proper set of triggers is higher than I want to pay so I guess I will silver solder extensions on the trigger bars to get them to engage the sear properly.  Is this an acceptable way to solve this problem?

Dave Gross

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: another hawken problem
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:14:19 AM »
You bet it is Dave.  But before you do anything to the parts, make a drawing of the rifle on a stiff piece of white paper.  Start by drawing the barrel to exact scale, then add the lock so that the hammer aligns with the nipple.  Watch how the lock screw is going to come through the stock behind the hook breech.  Draw in the underrib and the ramrod.  This will tell you where the bottom of the stock will end up.  now draw in the triggers just as they are.  Make the triggers cross in an "X" and place the sear bar on the "X".  This positions the triggers fore and aft so that both engage the sear.  After these critical things are drawn, then the rest of the butt stock and the rest of the forend fall into place.
Ron Long's triggers are also "short" vertically if I remember correctly. The other thing you can do is file out a new front and rear trigger.  But adding to their upper dimensions is what I'd do if I was pressed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Pete Allan

Re: another hawken problem
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
Something to remember is that the silver solder will kill the heat treat of the triggers. The engaging notches will soon round over. If you or a friend is comfortable adding small pieces of high speed steel to the engaging points that would solve the problem.