Author Topic: shipping longrifles  (Read 8563 times)

Offline bob in the woods

shipping longrifles
« on: November 01, 2008, 07:38:45 AM »
I'm not sure where to post this, so will try here.  I tried to send a rifle [flint] to T of the W for sale.
Sent it by UPS in a nice container I made. After calls from a broker in Kentucky, 4 days in transit...it is on its way back to me. Have any others had better luck with this type of thing? Is it at all feasable to send a rifle from Canada for the folks at T of the W sell? I'm now out the shipping costs with nothing to show for my trouble, but am willing to try again if anyone has any advice . Would mail be better?
I labelled it as antique reproduction, sent for appraisal. I was told not to label any package as containing a firearm, and I told this to the broker when they demanded to know what was in the package. I finally ended up telling them it was a reproduction of a musket. This seemed to satisfy the lady on the phone.

FG1

Re: shipping longrifles
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:04:48 AM »
I send mine by usps and dont tell them anything just value and its already labeled fragile .Havent had any problems.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:22:08 PM »
i send mine by the post office as well,,,if ups here ,,even thinks your trying to ship a flintlock..they get their skinning knives out,,!!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:35:51 PM »
Four months ago I shipped a LR to a customer in Texas thru USPS and encountered a lot of harrassment from the postal clerk because I wouldn't affirm that the crate contained a MLing firearm. After 40 minutes of not knowing if the crate would be shipped, I finally told him it was a MLer. and he then passed off the crate to another clerk for processing. Later that day I called the Postmaster and complained of the harrassment and she said she'd get back to me asre the requirements for shipping a MLing firearm.  The next day she called and said that after discussing this "problem" w/  3 other Postmasters,  all that is required is that I declare that the crate contains a MLing firearm and it will be shipped by ground transportation.  She said that no firearm of any kind would be shipped by air. By the way....FedEx previously had refused to ship this crate because it contained a MLing  firearm. So if using USPS, there's really no reason to hide the identity of a MLing firearm.....they have to ship it, albeit by ground transportation.....Fred

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
Bob, did you talk to Track, they will send you a proper shipping box with correct labels on it and tell you how to mark it.  do not label it as a rifle of any type, list it as an antique replica.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 07:04:06 PM »
Being in North Central British Columbia, and occasionally sending longrifles to America, I've learned to use the postal systems of our two countries.  I crate the rifle in a wooden box made of 1 x 4's and 1/4" plywood,  I cut a cavity out of a three inch thick foam mattress to hold the rifle so it does not contact the box at all, and finally spread bubble wrap over the rifle before the lid gets screwed down.  I address the crate and on the declaration I write "Antigue flintlock".  Now the scarey part...the cost of insuring and shipping from Canada to the US is around $80 each way.
There are no commercial carriers that will touch these crates.  It must be nice to have so much business that they don't need mine.  Whatever you do, do not let UPS in Canada even see it...at the risk of going ballistic, that's all I'll say about that.
Use Canada Post and USPS and ship on the ground.  Allow two weeks and follow the parcel via the tracking number on your receipt.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »
I have the OFFICIAL skinny from UPS.

As you know, according to law, a flintlock muzzleloader is NOT considered a firearm.  (unfortunately, some people behind the counter don't know this).

You cannot take it to a local UPS box store.  You must take it to a distribution center.  The package must be left open, it must be inspected by a supervisor, who will ask you a list of stupid questions.i.e., is it loaded, is there a firing pin, is there any ammo in the package, etc.

It will then be shipped with no further questions.

I use a wooden crate like Taylor, leave one side open, and then take a screw gun with me, and drywall screw it closed when complete.

The unfortunate part is the cost.  Last time, because of weight, and length issues.  It cost me $137 to ship from AZ to DE, including $3000 in insurance.

Pain in the A**.

I'm told that USPS will do it cheaper, but there's just something to me about bringing a gun in to a Post office????
In His grip,

Dane

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Taylor, I made a box exactly as you described, and marked the contents as "antique replica".  UPS called and said that they don't accept antiques! I called their attention to the replica notation..but in the end had to disclose it was a flintlock musket.  It is now on it's way back to me, and I'm sure the return shipment will be just as costly as the original shipment. I just hope I get it back. I tracked it on the web using my waybill # and see that it is marked as an International shipment "exception".  
A friend of mine asked" why don't you ship the lock seperately?" That would be a pain, but, wonder if anyone else does this? 

Rick

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 01:13:59 AM »
I build a wooden crate, use rigid foam insulation to encase the gun, seal it up tight, and take it to the post office.  I don't mark the crate with anything other than the customer's name and address as well as my address.  I tell the employees it is fragile and insure it for an appropriate amount.  They measure it, weigh it, and tell me what it will cost for shipping plus insurance.  They know I am a gun builder because I told them.  They know I am shipping a gun when I bring in the crate.  I have shipped 15 or so this way and have had no trouble whatsover.  Then again, I may be lucky!  Rick   

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 01:54:37 AM »
I called Track today. They said Post is the way to go...so, Post it is. Good thing I don't build pianos!

JBlk

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 04:05:46 PM »
If you live in Illinois it is considered a firearm.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »
    I ship 5-6 per year via UPS without a hint of a problem.   There is no "Distribution Center" what the $#*! ever that is, near where I live.  The UPS guy stops at the local Radio Shack, picks up the crate (pretty much the same as other have described) and off it goes.   No one even asks what is in the box, of course in a small village everyone already knows.   I occasionaly joke with them that I am arming 18th century revolutionarys.  I have shipped from PA to the peoples replubic of California, and all over the west without problem.  The only thing is, that you get charged an extra $5.00 for using a wooden crate.  If you wrap the wooden crate in heavy brown paper you can save the $5.00---ain't worth it to me. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

keweenaw

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 05:20:08 PM »
I ship firearms all the time through UPS using one of their distribution centers.  Usually I swap a few deer hunting stories with the delightful woman who runs the counter.  On muzzleloaders, don't call it an antique or a reproduction, just call it gun parts not requiring an FFL.  If you encounter a clerk who doesn't know what you're talking about, don't hassle him/her, just as for the supervisor.  Lately I've been using USPS more as the shipping costs are lower.

Tom

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »
I don't ever label the crate with what's in it,  but if anyone asks, I say it contains "machined metal parts" and leave it at that.  The only time I ever had any trouble is when I tried to explain to some pea wit behind the counter what a "muzzle loader" was.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 05:17:52 AM »
I've always told them "machine parts" and everything went right through with no problem.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 04:31:55 AM »
If it's important to you, insurance policies vary.

I returned a gun to a maker (sorry, but it was very poorly made--didn't show up in his photos). He didn't tell me he wouldn't be home, and I shipped it "signature required." I was told to call by a certain date and remove that stipulation. When I called, it was already on its way back to me--early, and at my expense. I re-shipped it. Then it came back to me damaged. It had been damaged on the way TO him, not the way back, but I had to make the insurance claim, as the shipper. When it arrived, the gun was broken at the wrist and the lock and nosecap were completely missing. I called the maker. He said he'd removed the lock before returning it. I did all the work to get the insurance payment, which took a couple of months. Then sent the check to the builder. Also sent him the box of parts, at his insistence. Hardware and barrel were still usable, and he had the lock. I was out shipping SIX times across the country, and the builder had FULL payment AND all the parts. I consider myself ripped off, AND will never ship FedEx again. Ever.

Or, by the way, recommend this fella. I won't defame him, but I won't recommend him.

I once had an insurance claim with UPS, and had the money in two days.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

PGosnell

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 06:32:35 AM »
Bill,

With in the US, any gun owner can ship a firearm, exempt from FFL requirements i.e., a flintlock or a black powder cartridge rifle for which there is no commercially available ammunition, across interstate lines to any destination for sale, transfer, repair or other transaction.  Additionally, an owner my ship a non-exempt firearm to themselves within a state, without the requirement of an FFL.  Across state lines requires that the person at the other end has an FFL.  Ammunition must always be shipped separate from the firearm.

One thing stands out in you message, Canada.  Canada to the US defines the situation as an import.  Import / Export laws are not new but the emphasis on enforcing compliance with those reguations is a recent effort.  In the case of a firearm import, the destination must be a licensee with FFL Importer's license or the FFL licensee must first submit a ATF Form 6, Part I to the Imports Branch for approval. The licensee may then present the approved Form 6 and completed ATF Form 6A to the U.S. Customs Service. After which the import will be processed.

As to a carrier, I always use UPS and always avoid the numbnut UPS Store going directly to the distribution center or I call and arrange for a pickup.  Always declare the contents to avoid a misunderstanding with the ATF and always pay for the insurance.

that's my two cents.

Paul