Author Topic: Rack for new gouges?  (Read 11114 times)

Offline Scott Bumpus

Rack for new gouges?
« on: June 18, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
I bit the bullet and emptied my wallet,  bought 18 new phiel gouges last saturday.  I am jumping in with both feet and am going to learn to carve longrifles.  My question is how do yall store your gouges?  Looking for neet ideas on racks or boxes or what ever.  I need something better than the cardboard box I brought them home in.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

LehighBrad

Re: Rack for new gouges?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
Hello Scott......I made myself a simple rack that runs along the back edge of my workbench with just some scrap 2 x 4's. I took a 4 foot piece of 2 x 4 attached two shorter (about 6 inches or so) pieces for the "legs" on each end then screwed the whole thing onto my bench with "L" brackets. Then it's just a matter of drilling whatever size holes you'll need to put your gouges into so they suspend in the rack over the surface of your bench. The sharp ends hang in the air so they don't bang each other and they're easily pulled out when needed!! I also used just a piece of 4 x 4 with various holes drilled in it for all my rasps and files...it just sits on the back of my bench and can be moved to where ever I need it. The rasps and files just stick up out of it like porcupine quills!  ;D

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:51:59 PM »
I have seen several racks made out of lenghts of PVC tubing glued together.  If I did not have the wood rack I currently have I would use the PVC rack.
Dave

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »
I accumulated my gouges here and there.  Since they aren't all the same length I made a stair-stepped rack.

I recently bought some more files so I retired the coffee can and made a wooden rack.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »
Thanks to all, several good ideas.  Raining today so may head out to the shop and see what I can make up.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 03:49:13 AM »
Woodcrafters sells a nice roll for carving chisels that fit the Phiels real well.

I keep mine in the roll when not in use. That way I protect the edges from bumping into something on the bench.

Only thing I hate worse than using a dull chisel is having to sharpen out a nick in the blade.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
I use a roll made out of heavy denim material.  I layed it out and my wife ran it off on the sewing machine in about 5 minutes. 

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:31:27 AM »
Woodcrafters sells a nice roll for carving chisels that fit the Phiels real well.

I keep mine in the roll when not in use. That way I protect the edges from bumping into something on the bench.

Only thing I hate worse than using a dull chisel is having to sharpen out a nick in the blade.

After reading this advice, I went to Woodcraft today with my $10 off coupon and bought one of the 25 tool sized rolls, and I am now wondering why I have been so hesitant to try one. It works great. Everything stays put, I can unroll it and instantly see the tool I'll need, and it freed up a lot of drawer space. I think I'll have the wife make me some for my chisels now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:51:40 AM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »
Dad made this with some plastic board and pvc pipe...

Barbie Chambers-Phillips

KY Shinner

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »
I like Mr. Chambers set up...I am a klutz and have my chisels pointing down.  I already have two scars on my hands from chisels. :-\   I drilled holes in a nice piece of maple and hang my chisels thru it.  It is attached to the wall next to my bench.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »
OOOOH! I cringe to see all those UBER SHARP chisels sticking straight up! Don't loose your balance while reaching for one!
My wife puts all the knives point up, in the dishwasher. My favorite petpeeve!
Tom C.

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »
OOOOH! I cringe to see all those UBER SHARP chisels sticking straight up! Don't loose your balance while reaching for one!

Aw, come on guys - Chicks dig scars!!   ;D
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 03:38:02 AM »
Yep,  I thought about a set up like that but I can just see the blood all over my bench now!! :o ;D

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 03:56:10 AM »
I've had that rack for several years now and have shead no blood at all so far.  I'm always aware of that possibility and keep an eye out.  Also, I keep it at the very back of the bench to lessen the chance for an accident.   I have tried all different racks with the chisels pointed up, down and sideways, out in the open and in drawers.  This system seems to work the best for me because I can instantly see the shape of the chisel I need.  I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I saw this type of rack while visiting Paul Hamler's shop in Blairsville, GA.  Paul supplied me with the plastic shelving for the base.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 04:06:47 AM »
Along that line of thought. I found out that when the roll is opened up you can fold it down the middle and the tools all stand up similarly. I will make a stand to set the too roll on as soon as I procure myself a piece of thin plywood, then route a channel down the middle of a 2x4 and glue it all together.
Psalms 144