General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Womens knife for norwegian national costum(pictures fixed)

(1/3) > >>

Rolf:
Since some of you have Norwegian roots, I thought this might be of interest.
Just finished this knife a customer ordered. It's to be worn a silver filigree belt that's part of the national costum for Jaeren. Jaeren is a region in the southern part of Norway. There are about 80 different national costums, called bunad. By looking at a bunad, you can tell where in Norway people come from.

I forged the blade in the traditional Scandinavian style, which is one layer of high carbon steel sandwiched between two layers of mild steel. The blade is 3" long.
All the bolsters + strap is sterling silver. The stones are topaz.

Best regards
Rolfkt

Jerry V Lape:
I am not familiar with your styles, but the workmanship is obviously first class.  How do you fasten the metal sheath tip to the leather sheath? 

Rolf:

--- Quote from: Jerry V Lape on November 01, 2008, 07:42:09 PM ---I am not familiar with your styles, but the workmanship is obviously first class.  How do you fasten the metal sheath tip to the leather sheath? 

--- End quote ---

The leather sheath is made of "raw rand" leather. This tanning process produces a leather with three distint layers. The two outer layers are vegtable tanned. The middle layer is raw(untreated). The leather is stiff as aboard, and has to soak in water over night to be workable. The soaked leather is cut with an oversized pattern and sown on a wooden form. When it drys, it shrinks to fit the form and the middle layer turns rock hard. The outer layer is then cut away where the metal bolsters are attached  with glue.
Traditional glue was melted shellac. Now a days we use epoxy.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Randy Hedden:
Rolf,

Fantastic knife and sheath in any country. I wonder where you find the time to do all pieces you turn out?

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Tim Crosby:
 That's not a knife it is a work of art. What time period would that be from?

Tim C.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version