Author Topic: Jumped In  (Read 2380 times)

filsonman

Jumped In
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
Finally got off the fence and decided to plunge into building my own smoothbore.  I ordered a Chambers PA Fowler and have received most of the kit; still waiting on the barrel and lock.  I ordered a couple of books recommended in different posts on this forum. 

I have the good fortune of having a woodcraft store near my home so will head there next week to get the tools I do not have, which means  I pretty much need to start from scratch as I have almost no woodworking tools or experience with gun building.  I have a million other tools, but have not done any woodwork.   I did put a kit together as a teenager and still shoot that gun every week, however decided it was time to move on as I have been enjoying going to rendezvous and am tired of sitting out the trade gun shoots.

I am looking forward to my first real build and after seeing how helpful this forum is, I am only slightly nervous.  I have been lurking for quite sometime and soaking up as much as I can, but since experience is the best teacher, I am just going to go at it and see how it all winds up.

Wish me luck!
Regards,
Kirk

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Jumped In
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum, you are with a great bunch here so dont hesitate to ask questions if you have any.  Best wishes and good luck.  Smylee

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
Welcome to the addiction Kirk!!  bet ya can't build just one!!  :o ;D ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »
I would offer three bits of advice.  Practice helps a lot!  No matter what the next step is in the building process, you should consider getting a similar piece of wood/metal and practicing that step before trying it on your rifle.  If during the practice you learn a specific tool is needed don't proceed until you have made or obtained that tool.  Learning to sharpen wood working tools is absolutely essential to quality work! 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:52:23 PM by Jerry V Lape »