Author Topic: Jacobsburg Historical Society (PA) Rifle Frolic - PHOTOS  (Read 11873 times)

xring2245

Jacobsburg Historical Society (PA) Rifle Frolic - PHOTOS
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
The Jacobsburg Historical Society held its 17th annual Rifle Frolic this past weekend.  It is located in Boulton, near Nazareth, PA.  This was my 15th time attending this event, and except for one rain-drenched weekend, it has been one of the best events I attend on a regular basis.  It is held on Fathers' Day weekend every year.

Here is information from this year's flyer:

Historical Reenactment
17th Pennsylvania Rifle Frolic
June 18 & 19, 2011
Sat 10am–5pm * Sun 10am-4pm
Come One Come All To Our Annual Pennsylvania Rifle Exhibit
& Pre-1840 Shoot & Primitive Reenactment Camp
18th - 19th Century Living History Encampment
A Pre-1840 Style Living History Encampment. See What Living on the Frontier Was Really Like!
Complete with Knife & Tomahawk Throwing, Blackpowder Shooting, Primitive Archery Range, Hearth Cooking & All the Sights, Sounds & Smells of Real History!
Come see our newly renovated
Pennsylvania Longrifle Museum
See the Henry Arms on display and other
Original Pennsylvania Longrifles
Come Talk to the Experts, Bring Along Your Family Gun & Learn About its History & Maker.
Learn How the Longrifles were Hand Crafted from some of the Masters of the Trade.
Watch our period Black Powder Trap Shooting Competition at Sunday Noon
Visit the restored
1800 Nicholas Hawk Gun Shop
Sponsored by
Jacobsburg Historical Society
402 Henry Road, Nazareth, PA. 18064
From Routes. 22 or 80 , Take Route 33 to the Belfast Exit .
Then follow the brown BOULTON HISTORIC SITE signs to the Museum.
Contact us at 610-759-9029 – Lyndsey Brown
Website-www.jacobsburg.org Email- jacobsburg@rcn.com

The Society will also be hosting their annual Fur Trade Rendezvous on Halloween weekend, 29-30 October for anyone who is interested.

The Pennsylvania Longrifle Museum was open on Saturday and Sunday and it is worth a visit to this event just to tour the museum.  In addition, the original Nicholas Hawk Gunshop is on the grounds, having been moved there three years ago.  This was very interesting as well.

Look to the next post for photos.

Please enjoy,
James
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:06:50 PM by xring2245 »

xring2245

Re: Jacobsburg Historical Society (PA) Rifle Frolic - PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
Here are some photos from Saturday.  Unfortunately, I did not get any shooting photos.  I shot the novelty match on Saturday and the trap shoot on Sunday, but left my camera in camp.

Early morning camp, approximately 6 a.m.  The smoke is from my cooking fire.

I shared meals with Jim Shomper of Philadelphia.  I shoot with Jim at the Brandywine Longrifles events.  The smoke is from a canon that was fired nearby.

Gunner, my loyal five-year-old Brittany.

Camp scene.  Gunner made friends with their dog.

Out of the history books -  Mark Kocon

I will be posting more.  If you have any questions about this event, feel free to PM me.

James
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:02:32 PM by xring2245 »

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
Sweet hat.  Wish I had been there.  Will be next year.
Thanks for posting.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

xring2245

Re: Jacobsburg Historical Society (PA) Rifle Frolic - More PHOTOS
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:16:31 PM »

The relocated and restored Nicholas Hawk Gunshop.

Headed for the archery woodswalk

Bob VanHine of Effort, PA.  Bob is one of the most authentic colonial longhunters I have ever met.

Ken Milburn.  He is the range officer for the First Frontier Militia and a great shooter as well.

Doug Pitchell, commander of The New Jersey Frontier Guard and an avid student of the French and Indian War period.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:28:20 AM by xring2245 »

xring2245

Re: Jacobsburg Historical Society (PA) Rifle Frolic - PHOTOS 11-15
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:39:19 PM »

My cooking setup.  I have a 14x14" dutch oven table two feet high.  When I am not using a dutch oven, this becomes a platform for my brazier.

The Pennsylvania Longrifle Museum

Sign.  Not sure if it is original or a copy.  Looks new though.

The blacksmith shop is on the right, rear view.  Bob is a talented smith and offers some of his creations for sale.  I bought a nice looking period knife from him a few years ago for $15.00.

The John Joseph Henry House Museum.  The house was built in the 1830s and was important for its architecture at the time.

I recommend this event for anyone who is close enough to attend.  The Society's website is www.jacobsburg.org.  There will be information posted for the October event and early in 2012 information for the Rifle Frolic will be posted.  Again, it is always on Fathers' Day weekend.

I hope you enjoyed these photos.

James

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:11:05 PM by xring2245 »

Offline James

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 05:41:57 AM »
Thanks for posting these. Looks like a good time!
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

xring2245

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »
  Wish I had been there.  Will be next year. Thanks for posting.

Hey Rob, yes, it was a nice event.  Hope to see you there next year.  BTW, I checked out your information on the SHRECKENGOST family of gunsmiths.  Very interesting.  Good luck with your research.

James

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 05:09:23 PM »
TKs for the pictures James.

Don Getz - that's the 'grounds' where we had the pig roast, isn't it? I quite vividly remember Hawke's Gun Shop. I have pictoral proof - somewhere - you and I sitting on that bench beside it, talking) and the museum along with that fabulous house. What an amazing time.  This was AFTER DIXON'S - 2 Dixon's ago, (3, in a nother month).

xring2245

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 05:25:49 PM »
Daryl, will you be at Dixon's this year?  Quite a few of us will be there from this area.  It would be good to hook up and introduce ourselves and share some stories.

I'll get some pics from there as well.

James

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:09:10 PM »
Nope - not this year. We'll see what next year brings.  It's a heavy-expensive trip for us. The last one cost me over $2,000 plus the price of some doodads, foofaraa and a new longrifle.

xring2245

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »
Nope - not this year. We'll see what next year brings.  It's a heavy-expensive trip for us. The last one cost me over $2,000 plus the price of some doodads, foofaraa and a new longrifle.

Man, I can understand the new longrifle part..., but did you have to eat and pay to sleep somewhere?  You need to get your priorities in order.  haha

James

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »
Eating, sometimes sleeping, the OTHER ING + flying cost the most.

xring2245

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
  It's a heavy-expensive trip for us. The last one cost me over $2,000 plus the price of a new longrifle.

What did you buy?

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »
pm

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
Tool display inside N. Hawk's Gun Shop.

Some of the BQ's 'lads' out front waiting for the shop to open - Frank House looking this way.

xring2245

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
Daryl,
     Thanks for the photos.  The tools in your first photos are still there.  Those in your second and third photos were not on display last week although they should be back (I had asked about them as I had seen them there before).  Your last photo is interesting - nice to see a photo of Frank House.
     I think posting photos on this forum is a great idea.  Hope to see more from other members.
     Here is one more photo -

This is John Knauss, a local flint maker.  He makes quality four-sided flints and just raised his prices from fifty cents to a dollar each.

James
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:56:38 PM by xring2245 »