Author Topic: Poacher's gun  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Kermit

Poacher's gun
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »
See it on the CLA site, by Nathan Stephenson. Interesting piece. New idea to me and I'd like to hear more about this one.

http://www.longrifle.com/images/showcase/9959_poach001.jpg
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Poacher's gun
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
I might be mistaken, but wasn't there some discussion of these a few years ago - i.e. that these  were  actually "Gamekeepers' guns"  - basically an ultra light, inexpensive piece that would have been carried around on a day to day basis by the gamekeepers on the large English estates?  Mike Brooks might know.

Guy

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Poacher's gun
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »
I have never heard this style termed a Griffin Poacher's gun (I believe some of those did have skeleton stocks though) but have seen at least 4 guns by Griffin with larger bores that firearms experts have called coaching carbines.

A 15 BORE FLINTLOCK COACHING CARBINE BY BENJAMIN GRIFFIN, BOND STREET, LONDON, CIRCA 1765 with lightly swamped barrel fitted with silver barleycorn fore-sight, signed within a linear frame drawn-out to a loop over the breech, fitted with a moulded cup beneath the muzzle and a moulded ramrod-pipe behind, engraved grooved tang, signed border-engraved rounded lock fitted with moulded sliding safety-catch and later cock, figured walnut half-stock, skeleton butt, engraved brass mounts comprising fore-end cap, trigger-guard with a rose on the bow and early acorn finial, solid side-plate, and later horn-tipped wooden ramrod 62cm; 24 3/8in barrel Provenance William Keith Neil, sold Christie's 8th November 1995, lot 123 William Wrightson, Cusworth Hall, Doncaster Literature W. Keith Neal & D. H. L. Back, Griffin & Tow and W. Bailles, 1989, p.70, plates 20a, b. £2500-3000

Sold at Thomas Delmar
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:11:44 PM by James Rogers »