Author Topic: *VERY INTERESTING* (unpublished rifle)  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
*VERY INTERESTING* (unpublished rifle)
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:15:45 AM »
Here's a neat one for some debate and thought.  The two little pictures they put up suck, and I can't figure out how to blow up the video to full size.  Nevertheless, watch the video carefully.  I have not seen this rifle pictured anywhere else - anyone know anything about it? 

I should add I think Chris Mitchell is WAAAAAAYYYYYY off base here insofar as York or Lancaster; yes, yes, it's a daisy box, but it's the Delaware River daisy box (I've seen others).  I think this rifle was made in Easton by John Young - in fact, dare I say it, I'm sure of it.

After looking at the cheek carving, it also has me questioning some things about David Deshler's rifle.  Eerily similar cheek carving.

Anyway I've been thinking on this rifle since I first saw the show, and now that they have archived video, it is very interesting to view it with more consideration....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200405A40.html 
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: *VERY INTERESTING* (unpublished rifle)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:50:55 AM »
Eric,
To get the video full screen, fiesty click the video to start it, then click the Right on your mouse. A screen will drop down. Scroll down and click on ZOOM. Select and click Full Screen.
You'll loose a lot of resolution, but worth watching in the larger size.

From what I see, I can't argue against John Young, and it's certainly not a York or Lancaster.
Nice gun,,, I wonder if it's still hanging in the guys office! Maybe Mitchell made him a deal!

John
John Robbins

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 05:19:54 AM »
I'm with you  on this one Eric. The v shape on the forend wood ,the way the but plate comes around the top of the comb. Those are eastern Pa. characteristic's. I have long ben a fan of the Young family. They like J.Kuntz were not afraid to do things that were different than the school we have put them in.   JIM
JIM

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
Would really love to see that cheekpiece carving in detail, looks to be quite unique.  Cheek carving has some similiarity in layout to the " Grafly" rifle posted several years ago.
Eric Armstrong has picks of a bucks county rifle with a standard opening daisy patchbox that has a finial that I believe bears some engraving similiarity to this rifle also.  I'll let Eric chime in maybe he'll post his thought on this.

The very Lehigh shaped V shaped forestock is well done but once again we see different regional styles coming togther on a rifle. Maybe this is the result of a gunsmith on the move,  using differnet regional details that he favors.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
EK, After rereading your post and looking over my files, I just realized this morning that the Deschler and " Grafly" were the same rifle. So I second the motion of the eeriy similiarity of the carving .

The zoom trick didnt work on my browser. Nothing like watching a video through an optiviser.

Cant believe they didnt get a freeze frame shot of that cheekcarving.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:06:47 AM »
The similarity of the carving is VERY eerie, especially given the apparent differences in period.  I'm pretty convinced myself that the roadshow gun is John Young (Easton) and the Bucks gun being mentioned herein w. the same box is either a Schuler (my opinion) or a Verner (owner's opinion).  I don't think this roadshow gun is quite as late as 1810 - it appears very well-rounded and three dimensional, looks to have some good heft and shaping so maybe 1790s?  The Deschler piece is huge, certainly much earlier, but the cheek portion of the carving is very similar.  I think the roadshow gun looks a *little* more two-dimensional, more lke a derivation,  tough to tell due to the pixelation though.  MAkes me wonder - could there have been a common source?  Or, maybe a common design source i.e. a book or a something along those lines from whence the design could be copied?  It's very stand-alone, almost like furniture carving.  Actually what immediately springs to mind is something like a gilt mirror or frame.  Easton is a very interesting location, a qwell-traveled ferry between NH county and NJ as well as having easy access to Bucks Co. and Philaelphia via the river.  Kind of a crossroads.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!