Author Topic: Patchbox hinge construction  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Dave B

Patchbox hinge construction
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:33:46 AM »
I was digging through the bits pieces looking for engraved pieces and found this interesting finial for a patchbox that shows one method for doing the hinge and lid for the patchbox.  This shows at least from this sample that the gunsmith made the final hinge first then soldered the lid on to the hinge after it was formed.

I had heard about this technique but had never seen an example of it first hand. I believe the other patch boxes that some times used this method were the side opening lids from Bucks county.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Patchbox hinge construction
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:23:58 AM »
How about showing the rest of the finial and anything else noteworth on the box? Don't be coy about it. Looks very interesting whether old or new.
Dick

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:12:22 AM »
Its not much but here is the overall view.

the tip has broken off as you can see, it's all I have of this box :(.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:40:56 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

don getz

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:12:35 AM »
I like to make the head and lid of a box of much thicker brass, even up to a 1/16" thick, but have always found it difficult
to bend a nice hinge out of this thick stuff.   I therefore make my hinge of much thinner brass, about .030 thick, and make
two pieces, one to solder under the head, and one to solder under the lid.  By using this thinner brass you can make a
much neater hinge  I merely take one end of each piece and just roll it around the hinge pin I am going to use until it comes around and merely butts against the flat of the piece, or kind of like a "P".  I then tin both the box part and the
top side of the hinge piece and hold them together with two pliers and hold them in the flame of a propane torch, squeezing them together as the solder melts.  After I have both pieces soldered on, I cut out the segments of the hinge
and fit them together..................Don

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:37:59 AM »
Don that sounds slick. The brass of this original box finial is .042 so the .030 would bend nicely around the pin.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:14:07 AM »
Thank you Dave. That is a pretty finial and appears to be old. Hard to say where it came from though. Guess we can assume that it had side plates, though that ain't necessarily so.
Thank you for posting the whole thing.
Some restorers use gold solder to make repairs and while the gold won't tarnish, it can be colored over and the heat doesn't destroy the item.
Thanks again!
Dick

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:21:47 AM »
I usually use 1/16th brass with the lid and finial in one piece each and cut and try the hinge. Also a long tab that's silver soldered. This is just indestructable.  And gives a lot of meat to round the hinge off to match the shape of the stock. it's just a matter of banging a circle around a pin. Then squeeze the tab in a vice and bang the hinge of the lid and finial to the same heigth.  Anneal the brass frequently.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »
P.S. Also besides strength, the thicker brass gives me something to file, to match up the head and lid and lid to sideplates. Don's method has to be a little more perfect in execution. I'll bet I take longer but get to fix small errors which don't wind up as errors because I have more to work with.

don getz

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
Bill.....I will admit that your way is good, I just hate to bend that thick stuff.  It does give you a much thicker hinge that you can shape, by filing, to conform to the shape of the stock, but, the line of the pin and hole might be straighter.   I think this is the way most of the old boxes were done.  To each his own.  I have made so many my way, I'm getting too
old to change, besides, you don't have to do that on a barn gun.........Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »
Bill.....I will admit that your way is good, I just hate to bend that thick stuff.  It does give you a much thicker hinge that you can shape, by filing, to conform to the shape of the stock, but, the line of the pin and hole might be straighter.   I think this is the way most of the old boxes were done.  To each his own.  I have made so many my way, I'm getting too
old to change, besides, you don't have to do that on a barn gun.........Don
So, THAT'S why I build plain rifles! ;D

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »
A lot of originals used pretty thin brass. My Hawk is about .45.