Author Topic: HW Mortimer Dueling Pistol?  (Read 4864 times)

hawknknife

HW Mortimer Dueling Pistol?
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:20:13 AM »
Please look at this very nice antique pistol I just purchased from the contemporary longrifle site.
The gun is in very nice condition .510 caliber smoothbore  single set trigger 9 and 1/4 inch barrel.
Pistol appears to be all original, not monkeyed with, and has a very crisp 2 position lock. I don't think this is a flint conversion as the lockplate where relieved for the bolster is scalloped and engraved. It has a hooked patent breach and is English proofed on the bottom with British 1813 and later black powder proofs.
I feel that this is a dueling pistol and was one of a cased pair.
I would appreciate any comments from the folks who will know more about this than I do.
Thanks!
Carl Merck
 www.hawknknife.com
hawknknife@hotmail.com

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:21:48 AM by hawknknife »

greybeard

Re: HW Mortimer Dueling Pistol?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 01:40:26 AM »
Very nice by a well known maker. Is it my old eyes playing tricks , but at first glance it looks like at least two different hands were invilved in the engraving?   Thie is not meant to be a critique or put down of this fine pistol. Just an old timers observation
Cheers   Bob

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:50:26 AM »
That is an extremely nice pistol. Yes, it is a true dueling pistol with an exceptional conversion, quite possibly done by one of the Mortimers themselves but certainly of the very best London quality. I certainly hope you won't even consider altering it.

The engraving on the hammer ought to be slightly different than the rest of the gun. None of the great London makers actually engraved their own guns. They all utilized trade engravers who specialized in gun work. The pistol itself probably dates around 1800-1805 and definitely began life as a flintlock.  The conversion, which is not only of the best quality, but of a form quite rare on London quality guns, dates from about 1825-1830. In the fashion conscious London trade the "flat-form" hammer was largely obsolete by 1835, so its virtually impossible that the same person engraved both the hammer and the rest of the gun. This in no way compromises it... it is exactly as it should be.

I know this pistol... in fact, I very nearly bought it myself at the Hartford show. I would have had I not been husbanding my resources to buy items to illustrate my Ketland book. I've even visited it on the net a couple of times, regretting having passed on it but the extra money for something that is out of my immediate area of concentration just hasn't been there lately. Congratulations.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:00:21 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »
Hi Joe,
If it is a converted flint, the smith did a great job because there is no evidence of a feather spring or frizzen.  Certainly, the styling of the gun predates the percussion era.  My suspicion is that it was made by H. W. Mortimer junior because dad was dead in 1819.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »
At that level of workmanship you would not expect to see traces of the flint mechanism. These "London" quality guns were always made, and frequently altered, with a degree of craftsmanship that existed nowhere else.
I once had a Joseph Egg pair that were convincingly percussion... not a trace of flint about them except their overall shape and the fact that they were serial numbered so that it was known they were made around 1802. The barrels had been cut off and re-breeched and completely new locks had been fitted.

hawknknife

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »
Upon very close examination of the lock plate, there is a small, rectangular plug fitted where the frizzen spring would have been anchored.  It is so well done, can hardly see it with the naked eye so it was a flinter..
    I appreciate all the good information...Carl

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:47:08 PM »
Hi Carl,
And it is also clear that the leaf engraving where the feather spring and frizzen would go is not of the same quality as the rest of the plate.  It was done at a later time.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 04:03:46 AM »
Dave ;   Exactly