Author Topic: JP Beck Toeplate?  (Read 4235 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

JP Beck Toeplate?
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
To the best of my ability and research I am tryiing to create a rifle that could have come out of the shop of J.P. Beck. Not a copy of any particular rifle. I am using the "Whale Tail" patchbox and want to use a toe plate to protect toe of the rifle but the only design that I have seen looks kind of like a duck head on a snake. I don't particularly like that design. Does anyone have a picture of or know of another toe plate that J.P. Beck used that would work with my patchbox design? Thanks for any help here. :)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: JP Beck Toeplate?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »
Micah,

I just look a quick look at the J. P. Beck's in RCA II.  A lot of his guns apparently had no toeplate.  There is one pictured on page 433, #98.  The toeplate is short, with a symmetric round end with a little "leaf" on each side.  It's held on with 3 nails.  Shouldn't be hard to make one similar.

Kentucky Rifles and Pistols, 1750-1850 pictures the same or very similar toeplate on page 85.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
A search on "Beck" turned up the following...

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2303.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:47:33 PM »
Micah,

I just look a quick look at the J. P. Beck's in RCA II.  A lot of his guns apparently had no toeplate.  There is one pictured on page 433, #98.  The toeplate is short, with a symmetric round end with a little "leaf" on each side.  It's held on with 3 nails.  Shouldn't be hard to make one similar.

Kentucky Rifles and Pistols, 1750-1850 pictures the same or very similar toeplate on page 85.

-Ron
A search on "Beck" turned up the following...

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2303.0

-Ron

Thanks Ron
I have seen both of these toe plates. I was hopeing that someone out there woulk know about another design he used. Most of the examples I have seen that I remember have no toeplate and have some degree of damage there.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:48:57 PM by Micah »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 02:29:21 AM »
 A sharp tipped one,an arrow point type,snake with duck head, do whatever you want.