Author Topic: Quill and Inkwell  (Read 5444 times)

Ahtuwisae

Quill and Inkwell
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »
A while back I bought my daughter a book titled "Things to do With Dad".  About once a month or so she picks something from the book and it becomes father/daughter time.  This month she picked...making a feather quill....

Now the project was fun but short lived so in true horner fashion I took it a few notches further.  we fashioned an inkwell from horn and moose antler...her first oil heating/pressing/turning experience (she loved it) and then decided we needed something to hold the quill when not in use.  What follows is the end result and I could not have a happier daughter.

The quill pen is a turkey feather.  The inkwell is turned horn with a pressed in horn bottom and a moose antler neck.  The stopper is quite unique as we pondered for some time how to attach the cork.  i think you will like the solution.

the "desk shelf" as she calls it is cedar and put together with wood pins.  The quill holder is turned North American whitetail.  all in all a very nice project with great results.  Thanks for bearing with me on the lengthy opening......Enjoy!!

Threads are 1/4-20 NC

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Quill and Inkwell
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:21:13 PM »
  A very fine looking set!!!!!!!!

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:51 PM »
That's a cool little ink well.

Offline draken

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
Beautiful !! 

Turning green with envy.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »
 Outstanding! Shows planing and thought, Great execution.

Tim C.

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »
I LIKE IT!!!!!!

Offline markwi

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:06 AM »
That is very nice, a great way to spend time with your daughter and you have something to remind you both of time spent together. Mark

Macon Due

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:44:23 AM »
Well..........isn't that just way too cool!!!
Macon

ravenfeeder

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
That is just awesome!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 12:47:51 AM »
Wow, yet another item that makes me skeered to show of my rather paltry first try at a horn. That is awesome. Love the clever way you made the stopper.
Psalms 144

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:37:25 AM »
Thank you all for the nice comments

Offline James

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 04:27:58 AM »
Well done!
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 07:01:37 AM »
That's awesome!

And more importantly, it's great to hear someone taking time to be with their children, doing something productive, and educational.

The inkwell might be an example of your technical skills, but the project is the work of a #1 Dad!

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Don’t get Snake Bit!!! But if you do…

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 06:42:10 AM »
That's awesome!

And more importantly, it's great to hear someone taking time to be with their children, doing something productive, and educational.

The inkwell might be an example of your technical skills, but the project is the work of a #1 Dad!

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Don’t get Snake Bit!!! But if you do…

Thanks Al...Glad to see you are still alive, well, and posting....Hurry home and happy fourth of July.