Author Topic: Pin the tail on the longrifle?  (Read 5710 times)

timM

Pin the tail on the longrifle?
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:46:46 AM »
This piece recently came my way via slack on a trade, so I thought maybe I could solicit some opinions as to place of origin or even maker.  Maybe at least some enjoyment to be had just having a look (smile). The .40 caliber barrel has been shortened at the breach for an overall length of 39.5" and a lock replacement, both modifications done a long time ago.  tim

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Pin the tail on the longrifle?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:19:40 AM »
I don't recognize the gun, but do recognize the bench!
Nice bit of slack though!  ;D

John
John Robbins

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
Me too, welcome back! I recall same/similar patchboxes. Will look.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:14:07 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

realtorone

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »
I like it ,a lot.It does not appear to have been abused.Thanks for showing it to us.

msmith

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
If I was guessing , I would say Ohio.....

Offline b bogart

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 01:50:57 AM »
Me too msmit. I see a rudimentay "National Road" patchbox, the sideplate looks to be a derivation of a Vincent sideplate, pretty good hook on the buttplate. I may be mistaken though.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »
I have a rifle that could have been made by the same hand or shop. I ran across an article in the MB magazine that had similar styled rifles shown and they were made by a smith by the name of Postgate. Since we moved I cant find a darn thing so maybe some one else can produce the articles information about where he's from. I want to say it was Illinois or Iowa.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:48:37 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

msmith

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
Issac F. Posegate 1802-73, was born  in Highland County Ohio. Quaker Stock, His sons Winfield and John were gunsmiths.
Issac apprenticed to James Clark of lebanon Ohio (1825).
1830 Issac was in Jefferson County Indiana, listed as a gunsmith.
1840 Issac Posegate was in Missouri. He died in ST. Joseph  Missouri in 1873 (Ohio Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen by Donald A Hutslar)

1850 John Posegate FT. Des Moines Iowa. (sellers)

William Posegate,  ST Joesph & Marysville Missouri, 1869, 1876, 1889 . (sellers)

Winfield Posegate, born 1842 died 1895. Gunsmith, St Joesph Missouri.
I wonder if Winfield and William may not be the same person??
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:41:45 PM by msmit »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »
The Missouri Postgate connection is interesting in that this rifle I acquired from a gent in Arkansas a number of years ago. Maybe it came from the Missouri branch of the Postgate's. Makes you wonder. Thankyou for sharing the various Postgates making rifles for us.
Dave Blaisdell

JB2

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:30:17 AM »
Ok, I have a couple of questions about this rifle, specifically the long, pointed tang and the tang screws (bolts?).  Did both bolt into the trigger plate below similar to Hawken, or is the rear one only a wood screw?  Also, this shape tang is almost identical to the one in the post by Clark B.  Is that shape tang characteristic of a certain region or time period ?  It's neat, and would be easier to do than an over-the-comb job or a lolly-pop.

thanks.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 02:10:27 AM »
I formerly owned one of the Isaac  F. Posegate rifles in the Muzzle Blasts article. It is the one having a patchbox similar to the one on this rifle. Isaac worked at Ft. DesMoines, Iowa, for awhile, before locating in Missouri.  John Posegate was his son.