Author Topic: New member needing ID and info  (Read 7686 times)

Tim in Pa.

New member needing ID and info
« on: June 30, 2011, 05:35:08 AM »
Greetings all,  A gentleman I work with brought to me two rifles he needed help finding out what exactly they are .The one I need help on is  the one in this link which I have a few pics posted of it
  http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?227027-help-with-ID

My friend is mainly wanting to know what exactly it is ,time frame of mfg. and if it may have any value? all questions I couldnt answer for him at the time.  If needed for further info I can get some more pictures .

Thanks, Tim

Offline Collector

Split off from - New member needing ID and info
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:22:12 AM »
Tim in PA,  Membership is required, at the link/board you've directed us to, to have any viewing privileges.  This requirement, seems to be becoming more and more prevalent, these days.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:58:45 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Tim in Pa.

Re: New member needing ID and info
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
Sorry Sir, Ive been a member there for many years and never was aware of that issue.  Can I  upload pictures from my computer to this site directly? If not how do I post a picture?

Tim

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:30:15 AM »
Tim,
Welcome to ALR. No we don't allow photos to be uploaded to our site, too many people out there trying to get trojans and viruses onto sites like ours! However you are welcome to put the photo on another site such as Photo Bucket and link to it in your post.

There is a tutorial on placing photos on this site in the tutorial forum. Here is the URL
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

If you have questions let us know and we will help you out.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Tim in Pa.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 05:04:58 AM »
 Sorry for the delay ,I think I got it figured out try this linkhttp://edsrifle.shutterfly.com/

I can hopefully get some more and better pictures if it will help to identify this rifle.   What I know besides the pictures he sent me is its smooth bore, approx. .50-.54 "ish" caliber. barrel is partial octagon .About the only thing he can make out on the side plate is to the rear of the hammer a game scene of some sort(birds?) and the word Pittsburgh very faint at the forward bottom. and something I thought was interesting for an older rifle is that both the front and rear sights are dovetailed into the barrel Any idea of age or any other info about it? Also is there anywhere around SW Pa. I could take it for a in person appraisal of it

Thanks,Tim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:51:37 PM by Tim in Pa. »

Offline nord

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
Tim,

Photos don't tell us enough. Here's what is needed:

Butt to forward of lock from all four angles.

Signature on top flat if it exists.

Full side views.

Muzzle detail from all angles.

My initial reaction is a Belgian or English gun. Lack of a patchbox leads me to believe a fowler or simply a trade gun. This may change as details become more available.

Value? Even junk has value, so this isn't really an answerable question. As a rule we shy away from giving values because everything is subjective.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
Tim,
  Like Nord said, better photos would be a great help ;D
  The lock may be Whitmore & Wolff, Pittsburg...looks familiar ???
  Closer pics of the front and rear sights, please :-\
  Suzkat might want to weigh in on this one ???
                                                 Paul E. Wog

Tim in Pa.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 05:19:40 AM »
Thank you. I'll try to get my friend to let me take it home for some better pictures. I'll add them to my album and post an update of any further info.

Thanks,Tim

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »
With a curly maple stock, it appears to be an American longrifle, probably cleaned and refinished. The butt plate, guard, and trigger look like Pennsylvania work. Nice stock architecture for a plain working rifle. Shelby Gallien

Tim in Pa.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
Hello again Gentlemen, here are some additional pictures I took today .Hope it helps more.

http://edsrifle.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Thanks,Tim

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »
Beautiful architecture.  A very nice smooth rifle/buck and ball gun..... does anyone else think this is a replacement lock for an earlier flintlock??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

msmith

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 08:08:11 AM »
 At first glance it looks to me that the barrel ,trigger & possible lock plate is earlier than the stock.... ???
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:20:53 AM by msmit »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »
I agree with msmit, the hardware is earlier than the stock. There is very little curviture at the buttstock. Its to bad the toe plate and the side plate aren't there, that might have helped a bit.

Offline TPH

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »
You have a smoothrifle with (I think) a replacement lock. There appears to be some long ago replaced wood at the top of the front of the lock plate possibly indicating this. A look at the lock mortice may confirm it. I think it is actually a pretty nice gun gun dating to the early 19th Century and it may have been made with parts from an earlier gun but I don't think so. Please encourage your friend to not attempt to clean it or try to refinish it, the condition for a well used, long serving gun is not bad at all.

The second gun is a Belgian Flobert rimfire rifle (.22 or maybe .32 caliber?), quite common but the condition looks to be fair and complete.

I don't know how I missed these on Gunboards, must have been when I was away from the computer for a few days. I'll add your new link to the original thread and maybe there will be some more discussion.
T.P. Hern

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 03:40:40 AM »
You flat missed it on GunBoards, TPH! I saw it and told Tim in PA that you would be along shortly to give us the correct info that he wanted!

Tim in Pa.

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »
Thank you all for the help I gave the owner a link to this thread .And no he has no intention on doing anything to it besides hanging it back on the wall. Again I know value or worth is a relative thing But would anyone care to venture a "ball Park" value to it?No its not going to be sold but the owner asked...

Thanks again for all the help and info, Tim

BGC

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »
I'd venture to say that both guns are worth more as keepsakes then any monetary value.