Author Topic: Southern Mountain/Tennessee Rifle buttplate  (Read 4823 times)

eagle24

Southern Mountain/Tennessee Rifle buttplate
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:16:12 AM »
Would a Hawken butt plate be inapropriate to use on a southern mountain or tennessee styled rifle?  I am looking for a buttplate for my next rifle and wanted this one to have a little more width in the stock from heel to toe.  I know, I know, I'm not finished with my 1st one yet, but I'm getting there. ;)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Southern Mountain/Tennessee Rifle buttplate
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 02:52:34 AM »
The Hawken buttplate is not too far from what a southern mountain plate might look like except for the rounded corner where the comb of the butt plate joins the actual butt piece (I am not sure what its called).

Here are typical southern mountain buttplate photos:

Dennis
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:53:39 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:44:31 AM »
BTW those flats cast in the Tang are there for a reason and its more than to look cute. :)

I for one got tired of pleging myself to fit that tange screw neatly on the sharply rounded tang and filed flats on one of my last ones that solved that problem (after a 'lot' of fileing!!) ::)

eagle24

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »
Dennis,

You're talking about the rounded inside corner formed where the buttplate and return meet?  I would file that to a sharp corner.  The plate I used on the rifle I am building was slightly rounded and had to be filed in that area.  Looking at all the pictures I have accumulated of southern rifles, and the pictures in the Jerry Noble books, there are a couple of rifles that I like the lines of that are very slender, with long slender wrists, but they appear slightly wider (heel to toe) at the butt.  Most of the buttplates tagged Southern or Tennessee are around 4-1/2" (heel to toe).  The only thing I have found so far that looks like it work as a substitute are some of the iron Hawken plates.  One other option I might have would be to heat and bend some of the crescent out of a Southern plate which would make it longer.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:59:40 PM »
For some reason, no one seems to be reproducing the taller buttplates with longer heels that you see on some iron mounted Appalachian guns, like the Bogle rifle or other early guns (when I say early here I mean ca: 1790s-1810-ish).  Most of the ones out there seem to have the long toe extension out back, i.e. the heel of the buttplate sits well forward of the toe.

Some of the Hawken or other plains rifle style plate profiles could work - as long as the comb extension is long enough (some of the ones offered are too short.)  However, they are generally too narrow for the really early mountain rifles (I think the Bogle buttplate is around 1 5/8 or thereabouts).  Susie at MBS offers investment cast late Sheets Virginia buttplate and also a Peter Berry in steel that might be better choices - either could be modified.

If you do use a Hawken I would modify it as you said by sharpening the inside corner where the heel meets the buttpiece.  Also some of the Hawken plates look like you might need to narrow the toe a tad.  But that will allow you to reshape the sides a little too, and before you know it, you can't tell it started as a Hawken...

Some iron mounted guns have the upper and lower parts of the comb extension parallel, while others have an upward slant to the lower edge - this feature lends itself to a nice look with a "soft comb" - i.e. the comb is more or less straight, but just the front part of the comb has a subtle radius that begins a little back from the nose and gradually steepens - you see this on SW Virginia guns a lot.

Guy
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:27:46 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »
Greg,
You might could find a buttplate with the height and curvature you want and then make a comb extention. That part it pretty easy to make.  Then you'd only need to braze it to the buttplate at the angle you want. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:47:13 AM »
Ken, gotta hog rifle in the shop today with a plate like I've never quite seen before.  (Looks like I'm going to make another pattern.)  Has a deep curve.  The upper portion of the plate is copper brazed to the heel plate and the resulting extension is quite long. :o  The toe of the plate doesn't protrude backwards very far.  I'll send you a copy later.  Cheers,  Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971