Author Topic: Meaning of rifle inlays  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Meaning of rifle inlays
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:13:55 AM »
   I was told by an 85 year old gunsmith yesterday, who collects KY rifles,
that inlays had meanings and that a book was published that told the meaning
of various inlays ie. an upward facing crescent moon mean one thing and a
downward facing moon meant another thing and teardrop meant something else
etc etc.  I'd like to know if anyone has heard of this book and if so what is the
title?  I'd also like to start a discussion about inlays and their meanings.  Anyone
out there have any knowledge of this?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

msmith

Re: Meaning of rifle inlays
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:35:15 AM »
The" Early American Life" magazine had a article with some of this in it a couple years ago...I think the article was by Lorentz Kafa. I would think as in religion you will find  many interpertations as to what each symbol represents..Of course I think the "Fish" represents Christian or Christ..I heard the "Heart" the fifth wound of Christ,  "Crescent Moon" the Virgin Mary, & The cheekpiece "Star" the Bethleham Star, or the Hunters Star....I would guess that these old Gunsmiths were very religious or at least more so than most of us are today, so they probably did mean something to many of them, but probably to  a few nothing but something the customer wanted or they  just liked it...All yeah, I think I heard the "Oval" was Christ everlasting love,or eternal life, enternal..This is called Symbolism and was discussed here a couple years ago...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:02:53 AM by msmit »

Online jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:41:18 AM »
Suzkat,   There were a couple of article's  on inlays in the K.R.A. bulletins. I can't remember when they were printed.  JIM
JIM

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:51:43 AM »
There is a Article in the Select KRA Bulletin Articles that gives some theory as to what all of these symbols represent. I agree with MSMIT, these men were devout, they didn't have all of the distractions that clutter our lives today, so they probably spent most of their evenings studying the bible (that is the 1 publication every one had, especially when only the rich and clergy owned them in Europe for the longest time). I have heard that it was bad luck to place 30 or more silver inlays in a rifle because Christ was betrayed by Judas for 30 pieces of Silver. The heart being the 5th wound also is where the eternal flame (soul) lies. I have a rifle with the 8 pointed star of Bethlehem that is surrounded with an oval, if you look close it appears to be an all seeing eye, that rifle has 13 pieces of Silver. 13 being an odd number which is symbolic of balance. Example: if a bar stool has 4 legs and 1 is short you will fall over or be out of balance, if you have 3 and 1 is short you will be on a bit of an incline but you won't fall over. Odd numbers are Holy, here is another example: if you look at an old church count the steps that lead to the main landing to the front door, they are usually 3,5 or 7. This might seem off subject but it isn't. These things usually have a divine meaning or symbolism. Remember that most people couldn't read and symbology was a way of communication. Let the discussion proceed.        

Offline HIB

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:22:10 AM »
Gentlemen, The book referred to "Selected Articles from the KRA Bulletin vol I -30" has been out of print for approximately a year. The article, however, is a good one and I may be able to reproduce it and enter into my document file. If so, it would be easy to pass onto anyone interested via e-mail. Contact me directly and I'll see what I can accomplish with my new fangeled machine that works without wires. HIB

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 06:24:41 AM »
Also see the article in GUN DIGEST TREASURY - DELUXE 7TH EDITION.

msmith

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 06:32:25 AM »
The "Weeping Tailed Heart" for Mary & Christ sorrows....In the Early American Life article (april 2009) in the article " The Romance of the Kentucky Rifle" the author says that the Griffin on Christian Oerter's Rifle ,represents Christ & the horn (material) claws & beak imply Christ ability to gather souls to the spirtiual world...I am not sure that is what it represents but must be the opinion of some...I think that is what a lot of the symbols will  represent  also, one thing to one person and something else to another, and nothing but art or design to the remainder...I am actually surprised that more has not been written on this subject..I think it is because the fear of bringing controversy of religious beliefs into the discussion..I for one would like to see more about it...Buck, HIB & Jim thanks for telling us about the KRA bulletins, will try to find a copy..
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:33:20 AM by msmit »

msmith

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »
Mark, thanks for providing us that info...

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »
I also was told that the placement of inlays etc was sometimes used for range finding/elevation etc.????
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Buck

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
msmit,
Well put, I think it is a very interesting discussion. I agree that for most people today it is just an art form and the symbology was extremely significant at that time when these rifles were produced, due to the liberation from multiple persecuting factors that occured in the old countries. 

Offline nord

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
I respectfully suggest that we sometimes delve too deeply and therefor attach too much significance to certain details. While I won't argue as to the original meaning of certain inlays, I'd suggest that religious devotion may have played less a part of the adornments we find on fine rifles than the current styles of that time.

More to the point I'd opine that certain details appeared from one maker and were likely accepted and adapted by a growing number of makers without an undue understanding nor a generally deep appreciation of the actual meaning.

This isn't to belittle anyone nor suggest there was/is no meaning attached to inlays. I do suggest, though, that business trends and current styles were much more important in general than is sometimes suggested. Not every gunmaker was aiming for sainthood and some more than others were more focused on making a living than eternal salvation.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Buck

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 06:13:05 PM »
Nord,
Another good point, Thats why I liked what MSMIT stated. Religious discussions always seem to offend, lets face it, it's one of the most dividing and fatal factors of Human Life in all of history.

Offline Buck

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
Regardless of the debate, I still think that it is an intersting subject. After all it is an attractive feature and a magnus componet of the 1 thing that all of us admire. The Rifle.   ;D