Author Topic: Set the trikkers b/4 shouldering her??  (Read 13854 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Set the trikkers b/4 shouldering her??
« on: July 03, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
For the rifle men that have the habit of setting those porcupine dbl setts before they shoulder the piece.   Lemme: relate an incident that occured a weekend or so ago...

A shooter was on the line on the paper range and had the rifle cradled in his left elbow with his left hand against the flintlock.  He apparently bumped the hair trikker and the rifle fired burning his thumb it's full length and part of his palm.  Some grease and bandage later he related that his habit was to set the trikkers before shouldering the rifle.  I'm quite certain he has or will change his methods.  I happen to set those trikkers as I shoulder the rifle.  Things seemed more natural that way. ;)

Just a word to the readers out there.  :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:43:01 AM by Daryl »

Daryl

Re: Set the trikkers b/4 shouldering her??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »
I 'present' to the target, shoulder the rifle, set the trigger, then place my index finger on the trigger, aim and fire.  My hunting rifles do not have set triggers. Their much different feel, more English, reminds me quite instantly that I don't have a set trigger rifle in my hands.

When switching back and forth, one must be aware of what one is doing, or an accidental firing will wake you up.

Steve-In

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »
I set before shouldering.  This comes from my first rifle not having a half cock and having single lever triggers.  I have had just one unplanned discharge with it when hunting in very cold weather and it was in a safe direction.  I continue this practice today.  It always looks awkward watching triggers being set after the rifle is shouldered.

westerner

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
Grease on burns?   I guess that's historically correct.   :-\     Kind of extreme though.  I feel safe in assuming he was flogged ? 

Joe.

SPG

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:50:15 AM »
I like light triggers...most think too light...and I set them when the gun comes to the shoulder. It's too easy to knock a set trigger off to not have the rifle at least pointed down range.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:31:47 AM »
Pointed down range and held just above navel high, set, shoulder, aim, fire.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

northmn

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »
A comment was made about trigger types also.  The single throw type triggers have to be set to put the rifle on half cock, most double throw are designed for the halfcock to be set  and then set the trigger.  I have a single throw trigger on one rifle and never again.  The double throw are OK.  I prefer to set the trigger at the shoulder on a target range.

DP

Scott Semmel

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 02:39:49 AM »
Set trigger is one thing , why was the flippin thing at full cock if he weren't about to fire it?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 04:10:18 AM »
Set trigger is one thing , why was the flippin thing at full cock if he weren't about to fire it?
About to fire it?  He was near enough ready; but was in that setting your feet time space just prior to shouldering the rifle.   Seems that the majority here (on a firing line at least) Go to full draw with the muzzle down range then shoulder the rifle then set the trikkers then aim and fire (or maybe poke and hope! ;D

Scott Semmel

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 05:03:25 AM »
I think thats my point, the only place the gun should be after bringing it to to full cock is to your shoulder, not the crook of your arm.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 05:17:48 AM »
DPeck........you are a little confused about set triggers.   First off, there are double lever set triggers, and single lever set triggers.   With a double lever trigger, the cock can be released with the front trigger, without setting it...........assuming the
gun was assembled properly.   With the single lever trigger, you cannot release the sear with the front trigger, unless it is
set.   If you have a gun where you must set the trigger before you can cock the lock, the gun was not assembled properly, by
that I mean the trigger was not installed properly.    As for setting the trigger, for safety purposes, it is best to set the trigger
while shouldering the gun, or right after you have it shouldered.................Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
Grease on burns?   I guess that's historically correct.   :-\     Kind of extreme though.  I feel safe in assuming he was flogged ? 

Joe.
Flogged but only slightly! ;D  We were more intent on finding out what exactly happened...and suggesting to him that he change his tactics to setting said trikkers when the rifle is shouldered and pointed downrange..... ::)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
DPeck........you are a little confused about set triggers.   First off, there are double lever set triggers, and single lever set triggers.   With a double lever trigger, the cock can be released with the front trigger, without setting it...........assuming the
gun was assembled properly.   With the single lever trigger, you cannot release the sear with the front trigger, unless it is
set.   If you have a gun where you must set the trigger before you can cock the lock, the gun was not assembled properly, by
that I mean the trigger was not installed properly.    As for setting the trigger, for safety purposes, it is best to set the trigger
while shouldering the gun, or right after you have it shouldered.................Don
I put a single lever sett in my log rifle and works fine for that application, so far!  BTW I know of one of Hershel's long rifles that has a double lever sett trigger that must set the triggers to have the hammer stay 'on'.  The lever is /filed/stoned down to near nothing for the needed clearance; but just not near enough.  Maybe I should shim the triggers to get her to work the way I'm used to. ::) ???

northmn

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
Could not remember the exact terminology, but many find the single lever triggers to be a pain.  For the one I have to be consistant, the trigger has to be set strong enough so that it does not permit a full cock without setting the trigger.  On another point, you have top set the trigget on them to release the rifle from half cock or full cock also, if you do decide not to shoot.

DP

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 07:51:15 PM »
My rifles have double-set triggers (I think that's what they're called) and my practice is to set the trigger only after the gun is at my shoulder.  The only exception is when hunting and I am "in-the-zone", where I shoulder and fire in one quick movement.  In that case I set the trigger as the rifle is being raised toward the shoulder.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

westerner

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 08:09:51 PM »
What I do is load my gun, cock the hammer and set the triggers. Throw it over my shoulder and go visit the girls. Playing graba_ _ with the girls with a loaded gun really gets the adrenalin going.  I know it's dangerous, but haven't had my first flogging yet.  Soon as that happens I may change my ways.  If the girls do the flogging I may not change my ways.

Just kidding, I dont do that. I dont have anything intelligent to post, just trying to get my post count up for another star. 

Joe.

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »
set triggers ie: Double Set Triggers

With double set triggers with double lever - both triggers have a lever that can trip the sear, they need not be set to discharge the gun as the front trigger will fire the gun without 'setting' or can be 'set' for a lighter trigger pull, ie: hair trigger to lighten the front trigger pull -

Yes the TC Patriot has them reversed, front being the set and rear being the hair. I assume it is a single throw, double set trigger as noted below.

With double set triggers with single lever meaning only the rear setting trigger has a lever that can trip the sear. The front 'hair' trigger does not have a lever, therefore cannot trip the sear.  Many people, myself included, don't like that set trigger arrangement, however PC it might be - I still will not have a rifle with them. That is why I changed the triggers on my longrifle - it had double set, single lever ("single throw" as some call it) triggers as received & now has double set, double lever (or double 'throw') triggers - I'm happy.

I cock the rifle - ie: full cock just before shouldering, and set the trigger after shouldering. It is neither cumbersome nor awkward.  A bit of practise is all it takes.

I do not believe in putting my or any other person's finger inside the trigger guard until it's time to shoot and that goes for setting the trigger as well.  Your finger should never be inside the guard until it's time to shoot.  

This is standard safe firearm handling rule #1.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 08:26:40 PM by Daryl »

Steve-In

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
I do not see the issue setting the triggers before raising the gun.  As long as it is in half-cock before setting.  I see greater potential for discharges by setting after the gun is at full cock.  In 40 years of shooting muzzle loaders at various events I have never heard someone called for setting before shouldering.  If the shooter was mishandling his gun or one of those that points it skyward while bringing it to shoulder there may be a reason to set after it is in position.
I do agree there is no reason to have a finger inside a trigger gaurd while the gun is in motion except for shotguns.

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
Some rifles are set very light - perhaps too light - ie: setting the trigger at 1/2, then cocking the piece can trip the sear which fires the gun - THAT I've  seen happen - and probably happened to the fellow Roger was talking about.  I've seen people set the trigger before mounting the rifle and the gun went off - pulled the wrong trigger back.  Most people who set before mounting, don't look at the trigger before setting it- get the wrong one and pow!

As far as I'm concerned, setting before coming to full cock, is just asking for an accidental discharge, just as going to full cock before closing the frizzen - That can cause an accidental discharge as well - when unset - the vent gas usually burns the hand of the shooter, which is a good reminder not to do that. Hope the muzzle was pointed down range.

This light trigger setting is also period correct, BTW - some rifles would fire when set if the muzzle was raised too high - that's documented. I've no idea where, look it up - seems to me the Swiss taget rifles were mentioned.

As far as no fingers inside the trigger guard until you are ready to fire, that's not only common sense, but standard safe gun handling - in my 40some years of shooting & handling firearms.   Seems to me, I had to answer that finger/trigger guard question in my safe gun handling test to get my first hunting licence - age 15 - it was an easy question to answer  then, too.

Because you've seen no one 'called' on it, means nothing. 

David R. Watson

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:07 AM »
I seen several multi-lever set triggers that were attributed to Swiss rifles and - believe it or not - cross bows.
I have a three lever set trigger that appears to have come off of a Swiss type rifle the profile of which is too deep for a "longrifle".
The lighest I have ever seen was an eight lever trigger that would when set would "fire" when moved to approximately 90 degrees verticle. The same trigger would not fire when set - held horozontal- and whacked on the side of the plate.
Shoulder - set - fire seems to be the best way with double lever systems. If something goes wrong it's just another loud noise on the range...

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 01:20:27 AM »
Shoulder, set, fire with my double set triggers.  However with my single set, double action triggers I don't set the trigger when I shoulder the gun in a hunting situation, just pull the trigger.  At the range I have to pull the trigger forward with the forefinger on my left hand to set it and then shoulder it. It is too strong to push forward with the back of my trigger finger.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

MarkEngraver

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 02:31:29 AM »
I'm with "westerner" ! ?

Actually, this is why I'm not really a "set trigger" guy.
Just give me a simple pinned trigger set up with 2 to 3 lbs. of pull. No rig-a- ma-roll of 'when you set it" or 'if you set it".  Use it,  Learn it's weight,  and your mind/body will naturally learn to apply pressure to with in ounces of let off,  then let-Er fly.

Keeps life simple !

Mark

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 02:46:01 AM »
Mark,
That's fine as long as you don't want to build/own most of the southern mountain rifles that almost 100% will have set triggers. I am like you I prefer the single trigger and that's what I use to hunt with but most everything else I build has to have set triggers or it looks wrong! Kind of like putting a Siler lock on a SW VA mountain rifle.
Dennis
Actually, this is why I'm not really a "set trigger" guy.
Just give me a simple pinned trigger set up with 2 to 3 lbs. of pull. No rig-a- ma-roll of 'when you set it" or 'if you set it".  Use it,  Learn it's weight,  and your mind/body will naturally learn to apply pressure to with in ounces of let off,  then let-Er fly.

Keeps life simple !

Mark
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 03:29:19 AM »
Taylor's big Virginia has a single set trigger that works about 2 pounds if unset, and is easily pushed foreward to set it, with the thumb of the left hand before grasping the wrist.  I've set it before mounting and after mounting and would just as soon, shoot it without setting the trigger.

My double set trigger rifles, both longrifles, have lousy trigger pulls if unset due to low, trigger plate hinge pins. They need to be set for me to make an accurate shot when shooting right handed. left handed, I shoot best if not setting the trigger. The shot breaks when it breaks - and always hits centre (it's an easy gong).

jeager58

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 03:34:19 AM »
well hopefully the pain in his hand will make him more aware of what he is doing and when he is doing it in the future...phil