Author Topic: Dixons gun fair  (Read 17417 times)

jeager58

Dixons gun fair
« on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:13 AM »
what is the best day to attend  the gun fair and is it the 29-31 this year...phil

Offline Bill-52

Re: Dixons gun fair
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:51:28 AM »
Phil,

Yes, it is July 29 - 31.  If I had to pick one day, which would be very difficult, I would look at the seminars and attend the day that had the most seminars of interest to me.  That said, I'm a relative newby and have much to learn, so I get a lot of value out of the seminars.

Seminars are outlined at www.dixonmuzzleloading.com.

Bill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:00:27 AM »
One day is barely enough! Wish I could slow down time when I am there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:31:38 AM »
Saturday is a full day. That would be my recommendation for 'the best day', if there is such a thing. The best day to empty your wallet, or the best day to run your legs down to stubs.

All the rifles will be laid out on the table in the judges' garage, left hand side of the building. Go early to see them all. As the judging progresses, the rifles are put up on racks, away from plain view. Original guns on display in the garage as well, in the center rear of the building. Accoutrements on the right, all laid out on the table. Knives, hawks, horns, pouches, etc. Fabulous stuff.

Seminars all day long.

All vendors present, lemonade stand and burger operations up to full speed.

Ian Pratt will be seen slithering around in his woodchuck frock.

By Sunday late afternoon, the vendors are looking homeward. Don't wait too long to strike your deal, buy your stuff.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

J1776

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:26:47 AM »
This will be my first time,...
My aim is to soak up as much knowledge as humanly possible, and get as hands-on as physically allowed!

Brain = Sponge!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:27:30 AM »
Rich, and Acer got it.  If you can, go both days.  Do your looking, and pricing on Saturday, and buy early on Sunday  morning.  As an ALR member, spend some time on the hill, at Acer's sun shade, and buy one of his ramrod scrapers, and sit a spell, between seminars.  Antique's in the barn, Troy Roopes big tent by the outhouses, Tip Curtis' tent by the road, Dunlaps wood, Chamber's, Barbie will make your wallet lighter.  Drool over Al Martin's, Bill Shipman's, Nate Mckenzie's and other Master's gun's, check in with Don Getz, and Getz barrel.  Watch the barrel forging, and rifling shows.  If that's not enough, shop in Dixon's store.  Oh, yeah, and there's fresh Lemonade, and good chips.  Then there's Yeung Ling, and show, and tell at the hotel, and the secret handshake.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

xring2245

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
FWIW, I will be there Friday and Sunday afternoon.  I live 50 miles away, so it's not a bad ride.  I'll make sure I bring $$$$, as there's always a lot that will attract my attention.  I have to give Allen Martin more on a deposit for the smooth rifle he will be building for me.

James

MAC57

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »
I plan on attending Sat. & Sun.  Anyone know of a good place to stay nearby?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
Many builders stay at the Hampton Inn, 100 Keebler way, Allentown. Very nice continental breakfast. There are a number of hotels right near there, if the Hampton gets filled.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »
what is the best day to attend  the gun fair and is it the 29-31 this year...phil

If you want to sit in on seminars, Saturday has the most.  If you want to buy or get good looks at everything without fighting crowds go on Friday.

Doesn't matter, really, whichever day you pick will be the hottest day of summer.   ;)  I typically wander over west to the cool comfort of Cabelas for the hot part of the afternoon, only ten minutes away and pretty close to heaven if you hunt!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Telgan

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »
I have friends that stay at the Sleep Inn whch is very nice - Victoria and I stay at the Hampton. Once in a while it can be a bit noisy. Both are quoite close together and about a 15 minute drive from Dixons.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
I know I want to be there on Saturday , don't know if I can make it. Cash flow a little slow at the moment. May drive up Friday night,sleep in truck,attend Saturday,drive home that nite.  Gotta work on Sunday.  Either way it's worth every second.  Getting to put faces to names here on the forum. Really want to meet certain individuals,and see ones I met last year . Really ;D wanted to bring the Virginia Rifle that I haven't started yet up to shoot with Roger.(figured I'd have er done by now . Won't bring Frankenstein with me. Like so many of us know somethings are better left at home LOL  ;D

Hopefully I will see you there

Rich

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »
Hope you can make it, Rich.
Andover, Vermont

hoochiepapa

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 12:50:43 AM »
I'm gonna miss Fred the stock maker, though, he inletted a cherry block for a fowling gun , and then retired!

billd

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 03:51:18 AM »
Fred will be there peddling his war clubs and his great personality,  and some blanks with barrels in them.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 04:24:32 AM »
Like an ol bear some of us know the cool spot at Chuck's when the heat gets too oppresive.  The basement under the store.  Nice and cool and you can view some bench rifles and watch a barrel being rifled s l o w l y via a hand operated rifling machine.....a study in itself.  ;)

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 06:05:34 AM »
WE,re probably the ones making the Hampton noisy.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
What noise?

It's hard to know if that's Tall Bear bellowing or the trucks roaring down I-78.

I never had a noisy experience at the Hampton, even with I-78 right nearby, or the occasional thunderstorm.

Occasional thunderstorms..... it always rains, sometimes furiously, during the Fair. Sometimes at night, sometimes during the day. Try to remember to throw a slicker or an umbrella in the car.

Alternatively, it can be blazing hot with high humidity.

It's hard to know how to dress for the occasion.  ;D

Tom

billd

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »
Tom,   that's what's so great about PA, if you don't like the weather just give it an hour to change.

jimc2

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
you guys should be in the store all day .saturday when the crowd gets wall to wall wow no air hot humid wow again come to the counter ask for jim love to meet you

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 04:33:38 AM »
The sessions held under the barn are usually cool too.
Kunk

Roxie_L

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
I don’t know if I’ll get enough time off work to make the drive, it’s about 700 miles. I may consider flying in if I can get any time off at all and was wondering if anyone could recommend an air port and car rental based on personal experience.

Ciao
Roxie

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »
You have Phila. Int.  and Allentown Int. airports.  As far as car rentals I'm sure all the usual suspects are at Philly. I'm not sure about Allentown.  Also you have Harrisburg Apt. Harrisburg and Philly are about 2 hours away from Dixons. Allentown is less than 45 min. If it were my choice the ranking would be Allentown, Harrisburg, Philly. Due to ease of a person unfamiliar with the area getting to Dixons from the airport. I am probably over estimateing the drive time for Harrisburg by a good bit. Getting to Dixons from Harrisburg or Allentown Aieports is real easy. Philly is a bit more challanging due to the size of the airport and Philadelphia area traffic. If you need specific driveing directions E-mail me. I am well familiar with area. One of the advantages of being a truck driver.
BJH

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 04:04:42 AM »
I  flew into Allentown it is a small airport with few hassles and they do have rental cars. I think all of the big rental outfits are there. I had my GPS with the address of the Hampton Inn and Dixon's already programmed into it. Those things are a life saver for someone traveling. I wish I was going back this year. That is the best show I have ever been to. Take lots of money and enjoy. Bob

Roxie_L

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 04:58:59 AM »
I appreciate the info, thanks! I’d much rather drive than fly because it’s just too much hassle trying to travel by air with the types of things I tend to buy. How I get there, or whether I make it at all, depends on how much time I can get off from work. Is Allentown the closest motel? What about camp grounds where I could pitch my tent? I just got back from an extended business trip on Thursday so the truck is still packed and I'll be happy to use any excuse to keep from having to un-pack it.

Ciao!
Roxie