Author Topic: my wheelock and me  (Read 128086 times)

welafong1

Re: my wheelock and me
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 12:57:37 AM »
hi
raszpla
is polish he does not understand English the best way i found is to use polish to English
transliteration web site  and go from there its easy all you have to do is write what ever you want in english press the button for polish then all you have to do is copy and post your message in the alr and send  thats it hope i have been of some help
thanks  for your ear
Richard Westerfield

raszpla

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »
in Poland, I have a deep night. Tomorrow I will board dimensions.

blunderbuss

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 01:35:07 AM »
Thank you

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 05:12:10 AM »
When you are using those translation programs, it is best to break up you questions into as small and simple a question as possible. When you post the translation, also post the original question. It helps on both ends.

For example let's use Daryls Question: "This is a LOT smaller lock, but how do the parts here compare?" Too complex for a translation program. Lock could mean padlock, canal locks, hair locks, etc. Lot could mean several things.

It's better this way:

I have small device in picture.
Mam małe urządzenie w obraz.

You have large device.
Masz duże urządzenia.

Are parts same or different?
Czy części takie same lub różne?

Which parts are different?
Które części są różne?

We can help by including a couple of pictures with parts labeled Lockplate, hammer etc and maybe Raszpla might do the same in Polish so we are on the same page.

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Feral Bull Fighting: Another Chronicles Adventure!

raszpla

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »

raszpla

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 02:45:26 PM »
other dimensions calculate yourself using the ratio ( pozostałe wymiary policz za pomocą proporcji))

Enter dimension from bottom of your barrel (podaj wymiar dna przy twojej lufie). pointed to the photograph using a question mark!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:57:06 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
Hi Daryl,
I have 2 wheellocks (just the locks): an Italian reproduction very similar to Taylor's lock, which I totally reworked, and a set of castings for a large early German lock.  I also have the benefit of a local collector who has several fine wheellocks in his collection.  Based on what I have seen, Taylor's lock is as finely made as any I've seen, including those I looked at in museums.  It is a relatively small lock mostly used on military and utilitarian pistols, and therefore, it is fairly simple but sturdy in design (no push button pan, no safety lever, little decoration).  One feature that seems to differ from original locks is the ball bearing used as a detent to hold back the wheel.  I think that is a good design because it works smoothly and should be very wear resistant if the bearing is hardened properly.  However, on all of the originals I've seen as well as parts cast from originals, the primary sear has a tip that protrudes through the plate to hold the wheel rather than acting as a lever to push a bearing into the wheel.   I suspect it is a modification of the original design possibly introduced by Lauber in his book?  I mentioned push button pans.  On the original lock shown by Raszpla above you can see a button between the dog and the wheel.  By pushing it in, the pan cover is manually released and slides forward exposing the pan before the shot is made.

dave
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:23:25 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Daryl

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
TKS Dave - that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
The ball-bearing is Lauber's innovation.  The traditional method with the sear nose holding the wheel poses some issues that are overcome with the hardened ball.  The nose of the sear must be very hard to resist wear on the wheel, so is liable to be fragile.  Too, this system is apparently difficult to fit well.  The ball, though not traditional, does work very very well.
Too, his design is from a German military dagg or pistol.  So it is simple and small...relatively.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 05:26:56 AM »
Taylor,
Let me just say that I never tire of looking at your guns and that applies particularly to the wheellock.  It is an artistic and elegant treasure.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Daryl

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
I just couldn't resist posting this picture - I really like this pistol & this is a good shot- I think.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:57:30 PM by Tim Crosby »

blunderbuss

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »
 beautiful pistol who made it? Is that your pillow?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
You'd think Daryl was my press agent!  Ha!!  That's the pistol I made from my friend Peter Nicholson, now deceased.  So now it has come back to me.   My Aunt Margaret made the brocade pillow.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
heh heh
It should perhaps be signed, Tiopardean, not Sapergia, but that's another story.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:57:55 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2011, 01:47:46 AM »
These guns are overwhelming.
I do have one simple (?) question - exactly what grade of pyrites do you use?
From what part of the world does it come?
All I recall about pyrites is that there is more than one kind.
I had the impression that pyrites commonly found in North America was not so good, for use in a wheelock.
I have an old, double dog Italian lock (lock only) purchased from C.H. Weiz in Ancient Times.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 05:05:47 AM »
Good looking gun you have going there.  Here is a photo of my little smooth bore, "Dutchie".  I built it a few years back and wrote a treatise on it as I went along.  Used two photos of an original for the basis, but changed or omitted a few of the cavalry carbine details such as the sling swivel.  A Swedish film company used the sound of her being fired as sound effects in one of their films on Youtube.  All the wheellocks used in the movie were inspired from her.  She is also a turkey gettin' fool.  Short, fast, handy.  A well tuned flinter can't compete with her for speed of ignition.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

raszpla

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 08:05:29 AM »
Here are some of my work:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:58:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

raszpla

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 08:17:25 AM »
these and many other copies

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:58:53 PM by Tim Crosby »

raszpla

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »

etc. etc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:59:13 PM by Tim Crosby »

Daryl

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 05:17:24 PM »
Oh MY - WHAT a TREAT!  Thankyou, all of you for posting. 

Your work is exquisite, raszpla.

doug

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 09:54:55 PM »
      I wish I had a tenth of your ability.  The part that puzzles me is how you get 3/4 of turn of rotation.  The lock in the how to build a wheel lock book has only about 1/3 - maybe 1/2 turn   ie 120 to 180 degrees of rotation

cheers Doug

raszpla

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »
O=2Πr
Π=3,14
chain length=3/4xO
r= O/2Π

do you understand?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:59:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

blunderbuss

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:06 PM »
 Doug
I had that problem  with my first wheelock it would fire with the pan open but not with it closed reason being the wheel was turning as the pan was opening  so the pyrite only engaged the latter part of the wheel there fore one needs to have more turn on the wheel. So back to the drawing board. The end of the mainspring has to be way up on the tumbler in the stirrup to get the 3/4 turn,and the main spring has to be powerful so that it flips the pan out of the way quickly and disengages the sear from the wheel quickly.

blunderbuss

blunderbuss

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »
These guns are overwhelming.
I do have one simple (?) question - exactly what grade of pyrites do you use?
From what part of the world does it come?
All I recall about pyrites is that there is more than one kind.
I had the impression that pyrites commonly found in North America was not so good, for use in a wheelock.
I have an old, double dog Italian lock (lock only) purchased from C.H. Weiz in Ancient Times.

I've only used pyrates found here in the US and found them good

welafong1

Re: my wheelock and me to raszpla
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »
 Doug
I had that problem  with my first wheelock it would fire with the pan open but not with it closed reason being the wheel was turning as the pan was opening  so the pyrite only engaged the latter part of the wheel there fore one needs to have more turn on the wheel. So back to the drawing board. The end of the mainspring has to be way up on the tumbler in the stirrup to get the 3/4 turn,and the main spring has to be powerful so that it flips the pan out of the way quickly and disengages the sear from the wheel quickly.

blunderbuss

część która zbija z tropu mnie jest jak wy otrzymujecie (dostawać; rozumieć) 3/4 obrotu (zmiana) rotacji. zamek w jak budować (tworzyć) zamek koła książka (rezerwować; książkowy). Ma tylko okolo 1/3 - być może 1/2 obracają *ie* 120 do 180 stopni rotacji.
 doug i sent your qustion to  raszpla in polish hope you dont mind
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:06:29 PM by Richard Westerfield »