Author Topic: George Shroyer rifle  (Read 16122 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
George Shroyer rifle
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »
This is a G. Shroyer style rifle I completed a little while ago.  The barrel is a Rice, "B" weight .50, 44", lock is a Chambers late Ketland, and the butt piece and trigger guard are from Reaves.  I got the blank from Wayne Dunlap, nice piece of sugar maple...  I used four keys, instead of pins for the barrel.  Stained with my home brewed aquia fortes and finished with Permalyn.  Questions, comments, critiques welcome...

Ed

« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 02:13:04 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Ed Wenger

Offline Glenn

Re: George Shroyer rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:57:57 AM »
Nice work Ed.  I like the way you did the carving on the cheekpiece near the buttplate and the subtle use of the silver.  I'd like to know how you accomplished the finish on the lock and barrel.  Seems your homemade stain is a winner.  Very beautiful rifle.  Everything seems to be perfectly fit.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 03:33:06 AM »
I've spent a few minutes collecting my thoughts on the rifle.  The best I can come up with is, "How did you do that?"   :o
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:03:15 AM »
Ed...a superlative piece of work!  I like it all.  Keep it up.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 04:05:54 AM »
Your home made stain looks nice as does the gun, how does she shoot? Must handle nice too with that barrel profile.   Smylee

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 04:07:23 AM »
Ed,
Every aspect of that rifle is beautiful. the attention to detail and your artistic expression would have made Shroyer sit up and take notice. This is the type of work that makes this site such a joy and so useful to those of us "learning the art and mystery of the Longrifle".

I appreciate you asking for critique.......you set the example for the rest of us.....but I am speechless.  I hope new members can appreciate the work that you and Taylor and so many other true master artists share with us along with all the ways you offer to help us.

A question.... What year would you say this gun might have been made??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 04:11:36 AM »
Outstanding work! Very clean and crisp presentation with a warm feeling that makes you want to take it out and fire a few shots. great work. Thanks for posting.
Ken
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:17:40 AM by Ken G »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:16:11 AM »
Thanks very much gents...

Glenn, the barrel and lock are cold blued, then rubbed back with very fine steel wool or a very fine scotch brite pad (either will work).  I use a little oil medium (like honing oil) when I do this.  Hit the high spots on the lock and you get some depth to the finish.  Some folks like this type of finish, others not so much.

Taylor, and I didn't do any patina on this one!

Tim, wow, much appreciated...  I got the idea from a book I have (can't recall the title now, I'll check), but it would most likely be the late 1780's

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 04:31:18 AM »
Sir; I set trying to assemble the words to share with you about your project and------I got nothing-----WOW OUTSTANDING------. Thanks for the pictures. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 04:54:15 AM »
Glenn, the barrel and lock are cold blued, then rubbed back with very fine steel wool or a very fine scotch brite pad (either will work).  I use a little oil medium (like honing oil) when I do this.  Hit the high spots on the lock and you get some depth to the finish.  Some folks like this type of finish, others not so much.
   Ed

I've never seen cold blue that gave a kind of "aging gray" which is what you perfectly seemed to accomplish here.  It really looks like the whole weapon just jumped out of somebody's history book somewhere.   :o

May I ask who's cold blue you used ... ???

Thanks again for sharing.  ;D  ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:44:03 AM »
Fantastic piece of artwork there, Ed.  Your carving and your engraving really shine on this one.  Dang!  Is this gun for a customer or did you build it mostly for the pleasure?  Again I have to say I like the engraving along with the brass and silver combination.  Is the engraving of your own design? 

Curtis
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:45:30 AM by -SquirrelHeart- »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

J1776

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »
Absolutely beautiful!!  There's so much talent on here,.. great craftsmen!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 07:35:57 AM »
Really nice Schroyer . The only critique I can think of is the wedges are are a little thick and the upper curve on the cheeckpiece carving is  to "busy". Small things and I've done both for sure.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 08:01:06 AM »
I love the crisp lines on the panels,the beavertails,everything about this rifle .  Exquisite...

I have but one small question,  please relize I'm still learning,  the rear sight seems a little far up the barrel, is this a personal choice,or is this a normal practice ?  I don't think I've ever noticed one so far from the breechplug .  I have always been told, with the longer barrel s  the further the distance between the front and rear sight ,  the better the accuracy.  Again if this is a stupid question,please forgive my asking.  Like I said I'm still learning.

Rich

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
Many humble thanks again...

Bill, thankyou.  Your comment about the wedges is especially appreciated!

Curtis, I didn't build this for anyone in particular, and the engraving is from an original, although not an exact copy.

Glenn, I used Super Blue for this piece, but have used Oxpho Blue and others in the past.  Same results.

Rich,  I think the rear sight is 11 1/2" from the breach, its around there anyway.  I've seen rear sights all over the place.  I place them there primarily so its just forward of the balance point, so you can carry it without gouging your hand.  Just behind would work also I guess.  Also, alot of guys have trouble seeing the rear sight if its too close to their eye, I know I do!  That's the two main reasons the sight went there.

Thanks again.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »

The Shroyer rifles are some of my favorites.  Ed you did a wonderful job.  Thank you for sharing this rifle with us.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Mike R

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »

The Shroyer rifles are some of my favorites.  Ed you did a wonderful job.  Thank you for sharing this rifle with us.

I was going to say just this same thing.  Gorgeous.  I'll bow to Bill Shipman's comment on the wedges, but disagree on the carving--it looks fine to me--I've seen busier on originals... ;)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »
    Really nice clean work,  It looks like you have been looking over Bill Shipman's shoulder after studying John Bivin's work.   Nice photography as well, it helps showcase your work...

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »
Ed,

@!*% you're getting good at this!

A beautiful rifle, indeed.

Congratulations on such fine work.

JMC

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
Beautiful Ed,
I love the design and your use of cross hatching, particularly at the breech.  Very creative.  Your metal finish is terrific and the most appealing I have seen recently.  Your engraving is tasteful and perfectly suited for the inlays. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »
Ed,

This is a beautiful rifle.  I like the silver accent, and the carving looks really nice.  Can you share some additional detail of the rifle such as weight, length of pull, etc.?

Mark
Mark Thomas

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »
Beautiful work!!! I love the crisp, clean lines and carving.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
 Really well done Ed.  The PB is great, simple yet brought out with the Silver and engraving.   

Tim C.

Offline doulos

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »
Wow!! That is beautiful.  It is a striking looking rifle.
Were wedges like that common?  Even if they werent I like it.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 11:53:56 PM »
Very nice indeed.
But I just keep gong back to the patchbox.
It fits the buttstock very well and I really like the decoration too.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine