Author Topic: muzzleloading medals  (Read 21278 times)

Offline yip

muzzleloading medals
« on: July 19, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
  does anyone know where one can purchase medals for muzzleloader shooting awards?

Offline smokinbuck

Re: muzzleloading medals
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
Yip,
Check out Muzzle Blasts magazine, there are several award companies advertising what you want.
Mark
Mark

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
Some folks may chastise me severly but I call 'em the way I see them.

Medals are very uninteresting to me (and some others) as shoot prizes. Except at the very largest shoots 'maybe'!! ::)  I'd rather shoot for a handfull of good burgers.
or some other usefull things....

I happen to know of one club that uses (won) medals as targets in their primative agg. :D  The only one happy that a club buys medals is the seller of same.

But that is just my feelings on them.  Maybe not worth anything.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:36:15 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline yip

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 05:58:01 PM »
 roger; just trying this out, we've been shooting for over 5 years, and thought a little recognition would help, and incouage others. just a thought

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
I like getting medallions, Have several hanging in my room, try here;
http://www.fugawee.com/Medallions_5.htm
looks like these would be very nice.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Jim Thomas

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »
Yip, our club has a trophy that gets passed on each year to the winner.   Our version of the Stanley Cup.  Nice big chunk of wood carved into a mountain... not expensive.  Each winner gets his name on a brass plate that is added  and then he or she keeps it dusted off at home until the next year.   

Just an idea...

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:30:15 PM »
A club I used to belong to had a VERY nice and somewhat large horn, made and engraved by members, that was the aggregate prize at an annual weekend shoot. Each year the winner's name was engraved on it to add to the growing list. Even when it was in someone else's possession, there was the memory of past winners that was permanent.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »
Yip, our club has a trophy that gets passed on each year to the winner.   Our version of the Stanley Cup.  Nice big chunk of wood carved into a mountain... not expensive.  Each winner gets his name on a brass plate that is added  and then he or she keeps it dusted off at home until the next year.   

Just an idea...

I like that idea... Hope you don't mind if I use that.. I may have to make one for our group....
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »
Sir; In the past I belonged to a club that issued Red, Blue, White ribbons for 1st. 2nd. and 3td. Some shooters saved all ribbons won, some shooters saved a few ribbons won and the most shooters saved none. Take a pole from the members and see what is most favored. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
We have a shoot organizer at Hefley who gives out medals - no one I've spoken with, likes them - I know I don't.  I'm with Roger on medals as prizes.

The only medals I've every won that meant anything to me, were World Police and Fire Games medals - those I value - the rest from archery, modern competition and muzzleloading shooting (the above event) from Provincial or International (Helfey) events are not of any value and merely take up space - if you keep them.

Charlie

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »
Dirk and Thistle have medallions for almost anything.They have a website.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »
One of the clubs I belong to" Brokenlock Muzzleloading Gun Club " near Alma Michigan,we get gift certificates from theTraders for first place prizes ,pillowticking ticking second place,popcorn for third and navy beans for forth place at our annual shoot .With the kids shoot we give out recycled  medals along with a bead for every target they hit they like them to make a necklace.

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 05:34:03 AM »
For many years the Dan'l Morgan Riflemen had a spring shoot.  Winners got plaques for the wall and a ticket good for a drawing for merchandise prizes.  One year the kid that came in second or third in Juniors drew ticket number one and walked off with a new custom flinter.  I usually placed in one or two matches and I think it was a good way to do it.  I know some of the top shooters didn't like it because they felt they deserved the top merchandise prizes.  At some matches it was a bit discouraging to see the same few guys walk off with 3/4 of the prizes.     I heard of one shoot that did a similar thing but also awarded, a prize draw ticket to the guy who came in tenth also.  It kept the up and coming shooters from being too discouraged by giving them a chance at something. 

Years ago when I competed nearly every weekend, there was a shooter in central PA that routinely won a place in 75% of the matches.    We all knew he was in it to sell the prizes.  I envied his shooting skill, but it seemed greedy to take so many prizes and look at it as his "pay."

I don't have anything against medals.  Nice change of pace.

Offline rsells

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:45:02 AM »
I have gotten medals from Upper Missouri Trading Co. in the past years to give out as prizes.  I haven't in a while, but you can check with Doc and see if he still has them in stock.  I think he has his info in Muzzle Blast where he advertises powder.
                                                                        Roger Sells

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 04:23:45 PM »
We shoot for money at Cody. Never thought of medals.
I have a box full of NRA BPCR silhouette trophies up in the attic of my shop that nobody ever sees.
But the useful stuff I have won I use.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 04:33:37 PM »
While I have drawn prizes at places that do such things I greatly prefer matches that give out prizes based on shooter skill.
There is a major BPCR match in the area that I simply would not go to because with was a drawing match.  After going a few years back I decided I had made the proper decision.
I know why this is done but I still don't like it.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »
I'll add just one small point to this.  Some folks should root around in their stuff and piles of medals from the Levi Garrett territorials and dig up whatever silver medals are in the pile (they are marked on the edge 99.9 silver) you already know why.

I know of one couple shooters (bros.)that  ::)in the future when the dozer pushing dirt for some apt house or Wallyworld will push up 50 gal barrels full of shoot medals and wonder!! :D    Why were these buried here?     Did I say some folks won a lot of medals over the past 25 or so years..... ;D

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 08:05:50 PM »
I wish we had shoots around here. Competition make you a better shooter in so many ways. If someone held a shoot around here, I'd shoot just for an attaboy, no compensation required. :(
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Charlie

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 03:10:34 AM »
We don't use medals at our Rendys we let people choose in the order of their score, high score first.Once in awhile when the notion hits us we pick a nice prize of the table and award it to the last place shooter after we get 10 or so deep in the awards.The last time we did this the scorer had to go to the tiebreaker to determine last place.For me I pick some youngster out of the crowd and let him or her pick in my place,usually I do reasonably well so they get a good choice.More stuff I don't need or want.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
In past years when we had muzzle loader matches at my range we'd ask everyone attending to bring a m/l related item for the prize table worth ~$10. At the end of the match we'd let the 1st place shooter choose a prize from the table first, 2nd place shooter chooses second and so on. Everyone got a prize of some sort.

We tried to carry that system over for our BPCR buffalo shoots but stopped doing it. Too big a hassle for folks to try to figure out what to bring for a prize. The guys/gals who attend now are more than happy to have a place to shoot a whole bunch of knock down steel buffalo WITHOUT an entry fee. They keep coming back and never complain about NOT getting a prize.

Ted K

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 01:48:12 PM »
In past years when we had muzzle loader matches at my range we'd ask everyone attending to bring a m/l related item for the prize table worth ~$10. At the end of the match we'd let the 1st place shooter choose a prize from the table first, 2nd place shooter chooses second and so on. Everyone got a prize of some sort.

We tried to carry that system over for our BPCR buffalo shoots but stopped doing it. Too big a hassle for folks to try to figure out what to bring for a prize. The guys/gals who attend now are more than happy to have a place to shoot a whole bunch of knock down steel buffalo WITHOUT an entry fee. They keep coming back and never complain about NOT getting a prize. Ted K

We do almost the same thing, but we do it just once a year at our last shoot for the summer. We keep a running score for the entire summer shoots and we all bring a prize in the $25.00 range. The only time we do medallions are when we do 2 day shoots with a sleep over/camp. Then we have one of our members that likes working with leather make us leather badges with our group name and the year. Just kinda like a keep sake to remind us of a fantastic weekend with good friends and shootin and some of the best fire made meals in the universe. It is about the fun and camaraderie and not getting a badge.... don't forget that, if we do and it gets about the prize..... all is lost.
Thomas Jefferson

David R. Watson

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 04:34:44 PM »
I started shooting ML in 1973 and over the next 10 years won hundreds of "awards" that at the time did not mean much to me as the competition was everything. I did participate in blanket shoots and got some neat books and other stuff...including several hundred pounds of meat at an Arkansas meat shoot.
I thought I had thrown all the bulky stuff away, but a friend of mine pulled all the engraved strips off the things and without my knowledge saved them. He gave them to me just before he died unexpectantly several years ago.
About a month ago I went into the box and it was like a time warp. I spent hours just recalling some of the most pleasant times of my life.
The point I'm trying to make is that now that I'm 67 years of age and have two grandsons I might make a big board with some of that stuff on it for them. Maybe when I'm gone they will remember Grandpa as a shooter which ain't a bad way to be remembered.

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »
About a month ago I went into the box and it was like a time warp. I spent hours just recalling some of the most pleasant times of my life.
The point I'm trying to make is that now that I'm 67 years of age and have two grandsons I might make a big board with some of that stuff on it for them. Maybe when I'm gone they will remember Grandpa as a shooter which ain't a bad way to be remembered.

David - Tracy did just that with our archery medals from years past - but - I think that is the only + in having received & stored them for eons.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 03:07:23 AM »
Medals are nice, but should not be a deal breaker in regards to whether or not someone should go out to a shooting event and support the sport.  Yes, I've won medals over the past 35 years, but that's not why I compete.  I compete for the pure joy it gives me just being around other like minded folks.  If there has to be prizes I'd just as soon wish they were shooting related, something along the lines of;

1st Place - 5 Flints,,, 2nd Place - 4 flints,,, 3rd Place - 3 Flints  (there you go, one dozen flints for probably the cost of a couple medals).

I don't mind medals, I just prefer if I have to win something it be something I can use.

I did win two chicken legs one time... ;D

Offline yip

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 04:21:24 AM »
 candle snuffer; the medals are gonna be for end of the year shooting awards, 1st 2nd 3rd. not for every shoot, just end of the year aggregate score. thanks for your input.